Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
original post 6/7/2019
I have a 2018 Ram Cummins 2500 and purchased a diesel fuel filter kit from Diesel Fuel Filter Kits.
My main reason for getting this is added protection if I got some bad fuel. Here is my thought...IF I got some fuel with some water in it my rear (racor) Mopar water separator filter should alert me rather quickly. Fuel flow is from the tank, to the Racor, To the CAT filter (this is the one I installed), to the Mopar engine filter. I am thinking turn off the engine quickly when the water light comes on. At this point I have the CAT filter in between the two ram factory filters. This is a 2 micron filter with water separation. Water should not pass through this filter and should give me more reaction time. My thoughts. This kit went on super easy. There are several YouTube videos of people installing this kit. It is plug and play. No lines to cut. The BEST Cummins/Duramax CAT Fuel Filter Kit Available Watch this video on YouTube:: Will an auxiliary fuel filter cause flow or restriction issues with my vehicle?

Update on my Cat filter addition 6/11/2019, After messing with this addition for a few days I removed the Diesel Fuel Filter Kit from my 2018 Ram. While in theory it may be OK I removed it because 1. It really is not needed, 2. Another point that could cause issues in the future, 3. the cat filter calls for hand tight + 1 full turn. This was extreme on the setup. Everything flexed including the mount. I can see why now on some of the blogs that galling issues surfaced. I do not feel comfortable putting anti-seize on the filter threads. One of the post in this thread said if you ever have the water light come on, pull over, shut the engine down, open the filter pet, and cycle the fuel pump a few time until all water is purged. That will work for me. After purchasing this, installing this, using this for a few days and removing the filter I can neither recommend it or not recommend it. You are going to have to decide for yourself. Thanks for all the feedback. The greater majority of post say it is not necessary with the late model filtering of the ram cummins trucks. I do agree with this.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,701 Posts
I went with a much less expensive option, that is...not buying any supplemental filtration kit, and not buying fuel except from high volume dealers. Has served me well for 459K miles, never any water has been present or passed through the fuel system.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
13,588 gallons of fuel pumped through my 2018 RAM 4500 with the OEM fuel filtration system.......and no issues.

Like this contraption

The CAT deal only benefits those who sell it.....basically yet another solution to a problem that doesn’t exist on 2013 and newer 2500/3500/4500/5500 rigs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I went with a much less expensive option, that is...not buying any supplemental filtration kit, and not buying fuel except from high volume dealers. Has served me well for 459K miles, never any water has been present or passed through the fuel system.
So your fuel system was replaced because it was worn out?
I recall you got new injectors correct?

I agree though, on the 13,s + there is lots of factory filtration.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
This place is so funny. People poop on others for actually spending their own money how they sit fits their situation and gives them peace of mind. Bc you’ve never had water issues doesn’t mean others haven’t doesn’t mean other won’t. What’s the issue if he wants to do it? Sheeesh. This place is for people to share their trucks and modifications and tips and pointers, not everyone does everything like others, give the guy a break.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Wondering out loud at what point does adding additional filters restrict fuel line pressure to the injectors?

Adding an additional filter I think is a great idea if it doesn’t cause more problems then it solves.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Adding an additional filter I think is a great idea if it doesn’t cause more problems then it solves.
Perhaps the manufacturer of that CAT kit is in cahoots with MOPAR in regards to increasing sales of the in-tank lift pumps. :grin2:

·
Registered
13,701 Posts
So your fuel system was replaced because it was worn out?
I recall you got new injectors correct?

I agree though, on the 13,s + there is lots of factory filtration.
That was all electronics that went south on my fuel system.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wondering out loud at what point does adding additional filters restrict fuel line pressure to the injectors?

Watch this video on YouTube:::: Will an auxiliary fuel filter cause flow or restriction issues with my vehicle?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
tI have a 2018 Ram Cummins 2500 and purchased a diesel fuel filter kit from Diesel Fule Filter Kits.
My main reason for getting this is added protection if I got some bad fuel. Here is my thought...IF I got some fuel with some water in it my rear (racor) Mopar water separator filter should alert me rather quickly. Fuel flow is from the tank, to the Racor, To the CAT filter (this is the one I installed), to the Mopar engine filter. I am thinking turn off the engine quickly when the water light comes on. At this point I have the CAT filter in between the two ram factory filters. This is a 2 micron filter with water separation. Water should not pass through this filter and should give me more reaction time. My thoughts. This kit went on super easy. There are several YouTube videos of people installing this kit. It is plug and play. No lines to cut. The BEST Cummins/Duramax CAT Fuel Filter Kit Available Watch this video on YouTube:: Will an auxiliary fuel filter cause flow or restriction issues with my vehicle?
Is the extra filter a restriction, yes. Is it an issue, probably not. But, I only wear one rubber at a time.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Is the extra filter a restriction, yes. Is it an issue, probably not. But, I only wear one rubber at a time.
Speaking on behalf of the rest of our society, please reconsider. :wink2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tI have a 2018 Ram Cummins 2500 and purchased a diesel fuel filter kit from Diesel Fule Filter Kits.
Update on my Cat filter addition 6/11/2019, After messing with this addition for a few days I removed the Diesel Fuel Filter Kit from my 2018 Ram. While in theory it may be OK I removed it because 1. It really is not needed, 2. Another point that could cause issues in the future, 3. the cat filter calls for hand tight + 1 full turn. This was extreme on the setup. Everything flexed including the mount. I can see why now on some of the blogs that galling issues surfaced. I do not feel comfortable putting anti-seize on the filter threads. One of the post in this thread said if you ever have the water light come on, pull over, shut the engine down, open the filter pet, and cycle the fuel pump a few time until all water is purged. That will work for me. After purchasing this, installing this, using this for a few days and removing the filter I can neither recommend it or not recommend it. You are going to have to decide for yourself. Thanks for all the feedback. The greater majority of post say it is not necessary with the late model filtering of the ram cummins trucks. I do agree with this.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
13,588 gallons of fuel pumped through my 2018 RAM 4500 with the OEM fuel filtration system.......and no issues.

Like this contraption

The CAT deal only benefits those who sell it.....basically yet another solution to a problem that doesn’t exist on 2013 and newer 2500/3500/4500/5500 rigs. :rolleyes:
Greg, Did you ever pin down a filter change interval by the gallons used or are you going by mileage? Thanks.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Greg, Did you ever pin down a filter change interval by the gallons used or are you going by mileage? Thanks.
I am going strictly by the required 15,000 mile interval for fuel filter replacement.

Since I do have to report quarterly my IFTA gallons and miles driven, I could get really close as to the number of gallons my fuel filters actually do filter. If I were guessing, I’d bet I filter really close to 1,370 gallons per fuel filter change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts