Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have to say this is the first 6.7 that I've seen that has a filler for the Diesel Exhaust Fluid or urea. Couldn't find any one at the auto show that could answer my questions about how often you have to fill it up and if I could do it myself. Just though I would share the pictures I took. Should have taken pictures of the truck because It was pretty cool.

· Registered
590 Posts
Good Article here.

“The 2010 [Ram] Chassis Cabs start with an eight-gallon tank to hold urea,” said Kevin Mets, senior development manager for Dodge trucks. “The eight gallons gives us a good range [approximately 4,000 miles] even though the entire package [DEF plus SCR hardware] weighs about 200 pounds. We don’t rob as much payload capacity as a tank that, say, has a capacity of 16 gallons.”
DEF is expected to cost about $2.75 a gallon when pumped at truck stops and other retailers, according to the North American SCR Stakeholders Group, an ad-hoc industry alliance of truck and engine manufacturers, regulatory agencies and associations, and DEF infrastructure partners and suppliers. It will be packaged in many ways including 2.5 gallon jugs, bulk storage and DEF dispensing units.

· Registered
75 Posts
If I remember correctly, it takes about 15 gals every 15K miles; it's only used on the cab & chassis models; it's available at most major truck stops; a few places have a small dispenser next to the diesel fuel "pump" but most have one or three gallon sized jugs; and it costs "about" the same per gallon as diesel fuel. YMMV! And yes, they put that pretty blue filler in a convenient location so you could do it yourself.

What's all that stuff on the back of the truck?

· Registered
75 Posts
Looks like YFZBOB is not only is a faster typer, but has better information than I do...

Reactions: MATRIX

· Premium Member
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks YFZBOB, some good info there.

Reactions: MATRIX

· Registered
590 Posts
“If the countdown goes to zero, then the next stop the driver makes and turns that vehicle off, then goes to restart, he’ll get a ‘vehicle will not restart’ message,” Mets said. “There’s plenty of warning. We’ve got a 52-gallon [diesel fuel tank], which has a range of about 600 miles or less. Eventually he’s got to fill the fuel tank back up, so he has to get off the road and make that stop, and he has to do it at a fueling station that will have a urea system there. It’s all part of the strategy.”

Fuel Service guy... Sorry Bud, we're all out of that DEF stuff. It'll be Two weeks before we get another shipment.

· Registered
43 Posts
I wonder whats to stop someone from just rigging the float in the def tank....or what if the sending unit fails.

· Registered
669 Posts
“If the countdown goes to zero, then the next stop the driver makes and turns that vehicle off, then goes to restart, he’ll get a ‘vehicle will not restart’ message,” Mets said. “There’s plenty of warning. We’ve got a 52-gallon [diesel fuel tank], which has a range of about 600 miles or less. Eventually he’s got to fill the fuel tank back up, so he has to get off the road and make that stop, and he has to do it at a fueling station that will have a urea system there. It’s all part of the strategy.”

Fuel Service guy... Sorry Bud, we're all out of that DEF stuff. It'll be Two weeks before we get another shipment.
It will being to warn you within 2000 miles of it going low. Its your own damn fault if you run out.

I wonder whats to stop someone from just rigging the float in the def tank....or what if the sending unit fails.
There are various sensors in the tank to tell what is in there, and probably how much. Not just a float. In this world of OBD-II that requires emissions component monitoring, the computer will certainly be able to tell whether or not the SCR catalyst is functioning or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.