Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a diesel car for my wife's next vehicle. She would really like to go diesel too, but the only options I've found so far are the older TDI jettas, passats and (gulp) beetles. Another one I like is the diesel liberty, we test drove one of those and and they scoot!

I've been throwing around the idea of putting a 4bt into something she would drive, but she doesn't like that idea.

Is there any other options out there? I'm looking to spend $12k or less...

·
Registered
322 Posts
why not a new VW tdi? why used?

my dad drives a 2002 jetta tdi 5-speed and it has right around 200k on it and its still going strong

·
Registered
322 Posts
never mind i just say ur trying to spend less then 12k..

used VW tdi is the way to go, 50mpg+ daily is hard to beat.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not against the idea of a 01 or earlier TDI... I was just curious if I was overlooking another option. Right now, I'm looking at the 96-01 (I think) jettas, the ones with mechanical pumps...the less german electronics, the better.

I still keep telling her that the 4BT would be awesome in a J10 jeep truck, she likes those.... but I think the diesel jetta or diesel liberty is probably our next vehicle. That is unless somebody can suggest a better option!

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,767 Posts
96-01 had the VP34 pumps. A hybrid electronic/mechanical pump like our VP44's.

I've got a 95 Passat TDI Canadian model with the AAZ engine. It's the older IDI setup with a mechanical VE pump but the 1.9L displacement.

One thing to remember is the belts though. Replacement is crucial! Do not push them. And always replace with a quality belt!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
96-01 had the VP34 pumps. A hybrid electronic/mechanical pump like our VP44's.

I've got a 95 Passat TDI Canadian model with the AAZ engine. It's the older IDI setup with a mechanical VE pump but the 1.9L displacement.

One thing to remember is the belts though. Replacement is crucial! Do not push them. And always replace with a quality belt!
Lol....Can I p-pump a TDI? J/k

I browsed on the tdi forum for a bit, and I've talked to a few owners of tdi's, and they all recommend 96-01s and they ALL recommend either making sure the belt is done or replacing it if there's any question if it's been done.... kinda like transfer pumps on the vp44.

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,767 Posts
Belts are easy peasy once you've done it on a VW. I'll take it over the wife's old Honda accord!

I could change the belt on my passat in under two hours now. Course I've done it twice since I had to pull the pump to reseal it. LOL

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
If you are going to finance it I would highly recommend a new VW TDI Jetta or Golf. New cars have better rates, longer terms of financing and of course a warranty. I bought my wife an 09 Jetta TDI for under 20k when you take into account the govt $1300 rebate. I absolutely love the car, it has the amenities, feel and driving manners of a $30k sedan. The new cars have plenty of power too, where as the older ones were pretty anemic without mods. We have had the car for a year and 14k miles with no issues and free service through VW.

I too was a bit concerned about the German electronics so I bought a 70k warranty, problem solved.

Its a 6 speed manual and I averaged 46mpg @70mph yesterday on a 400 miles trip.

I really like the car as of now but time will tell.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Here is some info from a Canadian article. Some should still apply.

According to Edmunds.com, the best used diesel car is the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta and Jetta was also one of the best diesel cars Canada in 2008. The most fuel efficient diesel cars include the Jetta and BMW 3 Series, Audi A3 and the Mercedes-Benz R Class and E Class. The diesel car markets are the same ones who pioneered various developments including Mercedes-Benz, Peugeot/Citroen, Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Volkswagen Group, with the exception of Austin Rover, although Austin Rover’s ancestor, the Rover Company had been building small-capacity diesel engines since 1956, when it introduced a 2051 cc 4-cylinder diesel engine for its Land Rover 4 x 4. In fact, the 1988 Austin-Rover MDi unit (also known as the ‘Perkins Prima’) was developed by Perkins Engines of Peterborough, who have designed and built high speed diesels since the 1930’s. It is still in production as a marine engine.

Biodiesel can be obtained from vegetable oil or animal fats using transesterification. Biodiesel is a non-fossil fuel, cleaner burning alternative to petro diesel. Biodiesel is considered better for the environment. Almost any cars can be converted into a biodiesel car with a conversion kit. The conversion kits can be purchased online or at your local automotive dealership.

The best diesel car in the U.S. is the Hyundai Veracruz. The Veracruz is Hyundai’s high end crossover vehicle. Since Hyundai and Kia share engines in certain models, you might see the diesel crossover in Kia models as well. Complete engine development will be finished in 2010. BMW diesel cars have set the standard for diesel cars worldwide along with Mercedes-Benz. While BMW offers a less costly vehicle, Mercedes-Benz has been in the diesel business a while longer. New diesel cars vary in pricing from $28,000 upward.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts