Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04.5 HO with the 48re truck is stock besides exhaust and intake. I have had the edge evolution for about a year now on my truck and was never impressed with the results I saw with it on the truck. It always seemed to just not run as good as it did when stock. I am looking to go to the more custom side of tuning using the smarty/MM3 platform. I have narrowed my results down to a gentlemen who does tunes by the YouTube name diesel camper his website is mm3tunning. And calibrated power solutions tunes. Not looking for crazy performance just something that will be good as a daily/ tow rig. while still being able to safely have fun with the trans. Has anyone had experience with either of these tuners? If so how where you impressed with the results. Pros/cons ect...
Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 ram 3500
153 Posts
I’ve never ran the tuning from mm3 tuning.com so I cannot speak to that one at all. I’m sure he makes great tunes though as he seems recommended often from what I’ve read.

Disclaimer, my review is a bit lengthy.

I have custom tunes from Calibrated power on my truck since early September and so far I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it. I need to get a better clutch before I go up any more on power as I can already kinda slip the one I have without trying very hard on the race tune. I told him what mods I had on the truck and what tire size and they did the rest. They asked what my horsepower goals were, and I told him I really didn’t care. I just wanted a really nice truck to tow it with and have fun driving it once in a while.

It’s really clean, really smooth, no weird burbles or stumbles or anything at all really. Just really a really wide smooth power band.

She’s a real treat towing which is what my truck mostly does anymore with the occasional unloaded trip just to keep it from sitting. With my 35ft travel trailer at closest interstate on ramp from my place I can be doing 80 mile an hour in the heavy tow tune by the end of the on-ramp at the merge. I’m around 18,000-19,000 combined fueled, beer and all when I have my camping set up put together. It does 65 mph, in overdrive, going up Gilmore Summit in Idaho with the cruise on and egts well in the safe zone. It doesn’t even feel like it’s working when I tow my RV. Even if I only had the tow tune and not the sport don’t think I would be that sad. My tires would certainly live longer.

The only time EGTs ever become an issue breaking the 1350 barrier towing is when I am accelerating uphill from a dead stop and I’m trying to get to 65 to 75 mile an hour quickly. If I take it easy and drive normal it’s not an issue at all. If I decide to bury the throttled the temperature does get up there pretty quick for a second or two.

Unloaded in the sport or race tune I can get to 1350 to 1400 EGT is pretty easily especially around the 85 to 90 mile an hour mark if I WOT it from a dead stop.

The Htow Tune is really nice. Ltow or light tow definitely has more power. Sport is a lot of fun. Man everything about that one is a good time. When I’m not towing I tend to leave it in sport. It’s really smooth on the throttle, no smoke, and wife can drive it absolutely no problem. It doesn’t have that light switch power off idle which I really like. Up to about 20-25% throttle it just feels like a normal truck with more torque rise. It did scare my wife a bit the first time though when she rallied on it though. The kids really enjoy it. My one son says make it go to hyperspace. Kids all cheer when the 3rd and 4th gear pulls happen. It builds boost about 1000 rpm. There’s just zero lag, ever. It’s almost tied to the throttle as far as spool up goes.

Quite honestly though, it’s a speeding ticket waiting to happen if you get to cobbing in on it. If I’m in third gear and I step on it when I’m doing 20-35mph, it goes to 45-55 mile an hour instantly. If you grab fourth and bury it after third it gets fairly violent and the speed happens very quickly. As bad as it is for me to say it, you really can’t stand on the power for all that long because before you know it you’re doing 90 mile an hour. When I’m feeling like getting after it, I tend to go out in the middle of nowhere and let it rip. Otherwise I’m never on the power for more than a few seconds at a time.

The race tune is just too much. It gets pretty violent quickly It definitely taxes traction/suspension if you’re on anything but an extremely smooth road surface with out ruts or unevenness. It’s not had to break traction in race or sport. With the y steering you have to drive it well on the 5th and 6th gear pulls when the power comes on and off. Even the optimized stock tune runs really well and is way better than the OEM calibration.

I’ve driven everywhere from 3000 feet up to around 9 1/2 thousand feet so far with it. Never any issues regarding the tuning, or how it drives.

I did have a lot of issues early on with connectivity due to the MM3 hardware itself and its USB connections. All kinds of communications lost errors and battery voltage errors. I went through and adjusted all of the usb plugs to make them fit more snug either by slightly crimping the connectors down, or manipulating the female side the the connector to make it fit more snug on the male side. Since I’ve tightened up the USB connections on the monitor and on the control box, it’s been absolutely flawless since and never a single issue evenusing the real time tuning at key on option. But that part was kinda dumb. MM3 should have used better connectors there. Have a small screwdriver and or knife and small pliers to take care of that.

As far as 3rd gen tuning goes I’ve only been around smarty Junior and the older edge juice products. The edge makes lots of power, but puts out lots of smoke and tons of heat. The smarty Junior runs pretty well, but it does get smokey also, but it is definitely a very cost-effective option. This custom tuning however, doesn’t smoke at all and produce is so much more power it’s almost laughable when comparing it to the other two. The big tune on the smarty Junior ran pretty good, but the sport tune I have now definitely has it beat as far as how fun and how quick it is to drive. The shift in the fly part totally makes the mm3 deal worth it though. Downloading a new file every time got old fairly quick.

It’s certainly not cheap, I have about $1500-1600 invested in my MM3 in my tuning set up. I did have to pay a little more for the larger injectors tuning option. But I have shift on the fly capability, and a very nice very fun to drive set up. I put it in an edge product mount and got the SRT 10 pillar for a really nice looking package.

So far I give it a 10 out of 10, and would very happily buy again. Next I will be probably doing a fleece in tank pump set up, a better clutch (probably a clutch masters), a metal intercooler of some kind, (I have a feeling I’m just going to put a banks set up in and be done with it,) and a turbo next. I’ll have it re-tuned when I do a turbo. I haven’t settled on what turbo yet. I’m really not looking for much more power, I would just like there to be a little more and EGTs to never be an issue under any circumstance as much as I can.

I guess what sold me on calibrated was my brothers experience with them on his powerstroke and a couple of his tractors. I’ve also listened to their podcast for a few years, and their big thing seems to always be about high quality clean tunes that drive perfectly, and just gives more power as you command more throttle. It looks like they have a 4 wheel drive dyno too, I thought that was pretty cool. The amount of info they put out on their YouTube channel and podcast is pretty neat though. There’s a lot of good info there even if you don’t use any of their products. Because of their boost leaks video, I’ve boost tested 3 trucks....I’m 3 for 3 on leaks so far. I get why they boost test everything that comes in to their shop now.

If you can get around the cost, I really don’t think you’ll be disappointed at all. I’d say that overall, I like their tuning more than I thought I would. I like their approach to things and they seem to invest a lot of time into developing their tuning.

I don’t know if this helps or not since I’m running a manual transmission, just my opinion of what I’ve seen so far. I’ll say this, anything I have from now on will be custom tuned.

I suggest you talk to them both. But I wouldn’t hesitate recommending Calibrated power at all to anyone.

·
Registered
945 Posts
That was a really great review on Calibrated power. If I was in the market, that’s probably enough to sell me.

I’ll just briefly add my two cents on custom tuning. I absolutely love my HPTuners setup from Optimalwelding. I love the shift on the fly and the tunes are a different universe from smarty stuff. That being said, I know some people have had a few issues with optimal in past several months. I know you didn’t ask about him but I say that as it relates to MM3 tuning. I understand it that he is just a solo
Guy in his garage like Mat from optimal. It may be nothing, I have no experience with him, and again I have nothing but great things to say about optimal, but if I was doing it again I would strongly consider a bigger company like Calibrated for the simple fact that they’re not going anywhere anytime soon. I’ll say it a third time that I have nothing but great things to say about Optimal, but I do fear a few years from now he might close up shop and I’ll have to find a new tuner given the fact he’s a one man operation. On the other hand, I do like supporting the little guy! Just my $.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
+1 for Calibrated

Been running their tunes and Stealth 64 Turbo for almost 2 years now. Very happy. I lost my CSP5 switch and just leave it on level 5 +100rwp. I have been tempted to purchase King tunes now that I have a built transmission but it is fine where it is at. As mentioned above, it is a ticket waiting to happen. And no issues with CA emissions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was a really great review on Calibrated power. If I was in the market, that’s probably enough to sell me.

I’ll just briefly add my two cents on custom tuning. I absolutely love my HPTuners setup from Optimalwelding. I love the shift on the fly and the tunes are a different universe from smarty stuff. That being said, I know some people have had a few issues with optimal in past several months. I know you didn’t ask about him but I say that as it relates to MM3 tuning. I understand it that he is just a solo
Guy in his garage like Mat from optimal. It may be nothing, I have no experience with him, and again I have nothing but great things to say about optimal, but if I was doing it again I would strongly consider a bigger company like Calibrated for the simple fact that they’re not going anywhere anytime soon. I’ll say it a third time that I have nothing but great things to say about Optimal, but I do fear a few years from now he might close up shop and I’ll have to find a new tuner given the fact he’s a one man operation. On the other hand, I do like supporting the little guy! Just my $.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is my fear going with diesel camper like Optimal he is a solo operation and does not have the backing like a large company such as calibrated. The thing that has been selling on campers tunes is that he claims to be able to do a lot more tuning wise with the 48re's then what anyone else is able to offer. I will say I was leaning more towards him but now after reading how much people love their calibrated power tunes it is making me think harder about it. Like you said though still nice to support the little guy especially given the times right now.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
My problem with the MM3Tuning guy is that the reviews that are all positive for him are those scamy type reviews. I actually wrote that in another thread. They always seem to be oddly short reviews from people who you can tell haven't owned a tuned vehicle before.

The kind of people who buy throttle body spacers and think they gained 30rwhp. Think I'm kidding, find big sites that sell them and read the thousands of 5 star reviews about how much power they gained. Lol. They gained exactly 0.00 rwhp unless it's a TBS to add a nitrous port.

Said it there and I'll say it here, show me some in-depth reviews with the good and the bad, if any, and I'll happily retract and shut my mouth.

I'm one of the ones partially burned by optimal, there are a handful in the 3rd gen section burned worse by him and a gigantic thread in the 4th gen section of all the people he burned over there.

In trying to find another tuner I've looked at MM3Tuning a good bit because of the interest in his trans tuning. I've been burned twice now, not interested in a 3rd time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. Just installed a Stealth64 turbo a few months ago, and was looking at Calibrated Power tunes. I was already leaning towards MM3Tuning (Diesel Camper) just from the things I'd seen already, but ESPECIALLY interested in the transmission tuning as well. I've had a couple of good conversations with him already, and at least at this point I'm still leaning that direction.

I also like that fact that he only does 3rd gens - focusing on that one group CAN lead to a superior product vs. tuning several different model years and platforms. Then again, maybe that collective experience from all those platforms helps create a better tune overall? Who knows.

That said, I don't think I've seen much (if any) negative reviews about Diesel Camper, so I'd say that says quite a bit considering unhappy people are much more likely to post about it than a happy customer.

But then everyone says EFI Live or nothing! And then I wonder if I should go with the MM3 or not :/

·
Registered
2005 ram 3500
153 Posts
Calibrated also does efi live For the 06+ trucks. If I remember right, on either Calibrated’s podcast “diesel performance podcast” or another podcast “the diesel podcast” it was talked about the differences in the hardware solutions, HP tuners, UDC pro (MM3/smarty) or EFI live. They kinda made it seem like in the end it’s just different ways to implement the software. The can all sort of do the same thing. It really comes down to the tuners preferred choice/ what they are set up with/invested in.

On pre 98-05 trucks the only shift in the fly option is mm3 or smarty touch. I looked into the optimal welding deal, but manipulating the IAT to trick the ecm seemed like a very 90’s idea like I used to play with a potentiometer on my old powerstroke to trick the injector control pressure. That option for me on the ram was a non starter.

I will say that the graphics quality on the MM3 screen is just so so. I tend to prefer the five grid numerical lay out rather than the sweep gauges on my MM3 so I can’t say I even notice it. But if you use the sweep gauges......let’s face it, they kinda suck.

If you are around a CTS 2 or CTS3, it’s obvious that graphic quality and the aesthetics of the edge display is definitely many times better than the MM3 display. I don’t want to say that the graphics on the MM3 look hokey, but they are definitely of a lesser visual quality than the edge product there is absolutely no question about that. The speed and how fast MM3 loads is fantastic. But It would be nice if it had better graphics though, as everyone is kind of used to high-quality graphics these days given how good all the phones and tablets are now.

So if how nice and fancy/good looking the graphics/gauges are is something that is going to bother you, you’re probably not going to be super satisfied with the MM3 display quality.

That all said mm3 is a nice hardware/software solution minus the so so usb connectors (which is an easy fix, just kinda dumb that it might need it), an all in one option that does shift on the fly and is super easy to install on a Cummins. After doing the first one, I could honestly have the next one installed start to finish in probably 25 to 30 minutes including using an SRT pillar mount assuming it already had an aftermarket manifold or a threaded stock one.

I never really spent any time looking into the EFI live/CSP switch/edge monitor as it doesn’t work for my setup. For me HP tuners seemed pointless with MM3 being an option. But if I had an 06 or newer I would definitely at least take a look at Efi live csp5 switch.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I can give you a little bit of my experience. I have both MM3 tuning and Optimal tuning. So optimal tuning is good. It makes good power, I dont like how it shifts and tows, and for some reason the fan comes on all the time. His HP tune is pretty good and I also like the 5 position switch. The bad is if you have any issues that he can't fix, he blames your truck. I sent him so many logs and he still could not get the 150psi boost sensor to work properly. Anytime I went into elevation it would not run right. I would log and then load my smarty back on and log at same elevation and he said it was my truck and not his tune.

So I went to MM3 and he was able to tune the boost sensor and make it run right in elevation, so it is Optimal tune, and not my truck. Anyway, MM3 does have much better trans tuning. I like it for towing and it shifts nicer. The fan issue with Optimal is gone also. The bad about MM3 is the HP tune is not that great. I get 60psi on Optimal race tune and I get 45psi on MM3 race tune. Egt on optimal rave tune are 1350 maybe 1400 where MM3 I cant break 1200, so MM3 is very conservative with his race tune. I use MM3 tune to tow, but I use street or race tune while towing and my twins still don't go over 1200.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m your case since you have an 06, it is efi live or nothing.
Why? Is it just because there are more tuners that tune in EFI Live?

As RomeoOne spelled out above, it seems like each platform can basically do all of the same things - it mainly just comes down to what hardware you like and which platform the tuner you want to use supports.

I am completely open to anything that goes against that assumption though... still learning all I can!

·
Registered
'18 G56 CCSB
60 Posts
Calibrated also does efi live For the 06+ trucks. If I remember right, on either Calibrated’s podcast “diesel performance podcast” or another podcast “the diesel podcast” it was talked about the differences in the hardware solutions, HP tuners, UDC pro (MM3/smarty) or EFI live. They kinda made it seem like in the end it’s just different ways to implement the software. The can all sort of do the same thing. It really comes down to the tuners preferred choice/ what they are set up with/invested in.

On pre 98-05 trucks the only shift in the fly option is mm3 or smarty touch. I looked into the optimal welding deal, but manipulating the IAT to trick the ecm seemed like a very 90’s idea like I used to play with a potentiometer on my old powerstroke to trick the injector control pressure. That option for me on the ram was a non starter.

I will say that the graphics quality on the MM3 screen is just so so. I tend to prefer the five grid numerical lay out rather than the sweep gauges on my MM3 so I can’t say I even notice it. But if you use the sweep gauges......let’s face it, they kinda suck.

If you are around a CTS 2 or CTS3, it’s obvious that graphic quality and the aesthetics of the edge display is definitely many times better than the MM3 display. I don’t want to say that the graphics on the MM3 look hokey, but they are definitely of a lesser visual quality than the edge product there is absolutely no question about that. The speed and how fast MM3 loads is fantastic. But It would be nice if it had better graphics though, as everyone is kind of used to high-quality graphics these days given how good all the phones and tablets are now.

So if how nice and fancy/good looking the graphics/gauges are is something that is going to bother you, you’re probably not going to be super satisfied with the MM3 display quality.

That all said mm3 is a nice hardware/software solution minus the so so usb connectors (which is an easy fix, just kinda dumb that it might need it), an all in one option that does shift on the fly and is super easy to install on a Cummins. After doing the first one, I could honestly have the next one installed start to finish in probably 25 to 30 minutes including using an SRT pillar mount assuming it already had an aftermarket manifold or a threaded stock one.

I never really spent any time looking into the EFI live/CSP switch/edge monitor as it doesn’t work for my setup. For me HP tuners seemed pointless with MM3 being an option. But if I had an 06 or newer I would definitely at least take a look at Efi live csp5 switch.
i know it's a 4th gen instead of a 3rd, but i bought mine with an MM3 controller on it (tried with no luck to figure out who wrote the tunes), and i've had no complaints about it.

i personally think the graphics (while basic) are plenty good enough for what it does, and the refresh rates of the parameters (what's actually important) are quick, as are the boot & reflash times. there are also 5 different screen layouts you can configure, two of which don't use sweep gauges - if those bother you. i'm guessing they simply prioritized monitoring fidelity over graphics quality when allocating its processing power.

As RomeoOne spelled out above, it seems like each platform can basically do all of the same things - it mainly just comes down to what hardware you like and which platform the tuner you want to use supports.

I am completely open to anything that goes against that assumption though... still learning all I can!
sometimes it's about supportability and what vehicle computers each software's programmers took the time to learn.
and then that'll partially determine what tuning platforms shops decide to use (because they each have their nuances that take time to get good at using).

·
Registered
46 Posts

More tuners and a easier platform with great switch on the fly.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I can give you a little bit of my experience. I have both MM3 tuning and Optimal tuning. So optimal tuning is good. It makes good power, I dont like how it shifts and tows, and for some reason the fan comes on all the time. His HP tune is pretty good and I also like the 5 position switch. The bad is if you have any issues that he can't fix, he blames your truck. I sent him so many logs and he still could not get the 150psi boost sensor to work properly. Anytime I went into elevation it would not run right. I would log and then load my smarty back on and log at same elevation and he said it was my truck and not his tune.

So I went to MM3 and he was able to tune the boost sensor and make it run right in elevation, so it is Optimal tune, and not my truck. Anyway, MM3 does have much better trans tuning. I like it for towing and it shifts nicer. The fan issue with Optimal is gone also. The bad about MM3 is the HP tune is not that great. I get 60psi on Optimal race tune and I get 45psi on MM3 race tune. Egt on optimal rave tune are 1350 maybe 1400 where MM3 I cant break 1200, so MM3 is very conservative with his race tune. I use MM3 tune to tow, but I use street or race tune while towing and my twins still don't go over 1200.

Hope this helps.
First time I've seen a more honest review of MM3Tuning. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2005 ram 3500
153 Posts
i know it's a 4th gen instead of a 3rd, but i bought mine with an MM3 controller on it (tried with no luck to figure out who wrote the tunes), and i've had no complaints about it.

i personally think the graphics (while basic) are plenty good enough for what it does, and the refresh rates of the parameters (what's actually important) are quick, as are the boot & reflash times. there are also 5 different screen layouts you can configure, two of which don't use sweep gauges - if those bother you. i'm guessing they simply prioritized monitoring fidelity over graphics quality when allocating its processing power.
View attachment 918620

View attachment 918627

sometimes it's about supportability and what vehicle computers each software's programmers took the time to learn.
and then that'll partially determine what tuning platforms shops decide to use (because they each have their nuances that take time to get good at using).
I agree with you on the graphics. I prefer mine on the 5 box digital layout. For me the lackluster graphic aren’t a big deal.

I just wanted to make an honest review of the good and the bad.

·
Registered
'18 G56 CCSB
60 Posts
I agree with you on the graphics. I prefer mine on the 5 box digital layout. For me the lackluster graphic aren’t a big deal.

I just wanted to make an honest review of the good and the bad.
yeah, that's fair. i just mentioned it because some folks don't know how customizable they are.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Guess I'll throw my review in for MM3. Hope it doesn't come off as fake lmao! I went with Rob at MM3 mainly for the trans tuning but wanted the engine tuning as well. I went from the Smarty s06 to this and there was in my opinion a huge difference. Truck ran smoother, cleaner and shifted far better. I felt his 12v90hp tune was far quicker, cleaner and smoother than the max setting on the s06. The tow tune is great and he did a good amount of changes to it for me when asked. The 12v tune was smokey to start, but we got that within my acceptable range. The sport and and race settings are super fun tunes. I think I am right on the edge with my current trans build on these levels and am usually scared to give it 100%. I tow often with my truck, so that is why the trans tuning caught my eye to start. EGT's are good as well. I looked at calibrated a bunch, but was concerned I wouldn't get the trans tuning. I also feel if the tune is not strong enough for someone, Rob is willing to throw more at it.

Reactions: Pdyebrasil

·
Registered
19 Posts
Guess I'll throw my review in for MM3. Hope it doesn't come off as fake lmao! I went with Rob at MM3 mainly for the trans tuning but wanted the engine tuning as well. I went from the Smarty s06 to this and there was in my opinion a huge difference. Truck ran smoother, cleaner and shifted far better. I felt his 12v90hp tune was far quicker, cleaner and smoother than the max setting on the s06. The tow tune is great and he did a good amount of changes to it for me when asked. The 12v tune was smokey to start, but we got that within my acceptable range. The sport and and race settings are super fun tunes. I think I am right on the edge with my current trans build on these levels and am usually scared to give it 100%. I tow often with my truck, so that is why the trans tuning caught my eye to start. EGT's are good as well. I looked at calibrated a bunch, but was concerned I wouldn't get the trans tuning. I also feel if the tune is not strong enough for someone, Rob is willing to throw more at it.
That's great to hear that Rob is willing to work through any issues and to alter the tunes as needed/requested. I was leaning his way already, but I'm feeling more convinced now. I really think the trans tuning is what sets him apart for me. I do have some more questions for him about it though before I bite.

I came across this video from Power Driven Diesel where he discusses tuning options for Common Rail trucks. I felt like it was pretty informative discussing the different tuning platforms. That said, anybody have experience with the PDD tunes?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I talked with PDD as well. They do not offer the kind of tuning that Rob has and they almost seemed to sort of dismiss me when I was asking questions, so I passed on them. I have bought a decent amount of stuff from them, but was never super impressed with the customer service when I was looking for answers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts