Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!

How many 6.7L CTD owners use a Lubricity/cetane improver

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
How many 6.7L CTD owners use some kind of lubricity/cetane improver?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
No additives used at present.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
If you voted yes, please post up a quick message as to how often and why. Lubricity, cetane/power improvement, injector cleaning, anti-gel...? Every tank, every oil change, random...?

I voted yes because I run a bottle of Diesel Kleen every oil change to try and keep the injectors cleaner. I don't do it every tank for lubricity or cetane boost.

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
If it was needed I am sure Cummins or Chrysler would have it in the manual.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
No additive used. No problems.

When we started running ULSD in our fleet of heavy duty trucks at work, we ran an additive for about 6 months. Then tried no additive, and same result. No worries about gelling, because we switch to winter blend pretty early. Late September/early October.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
:agree2:

My thoughts as well. I think the additives are a successful marketing ploy based on years past when they may have been required. Rember STP in the gassers?:confused013:

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Thought this may help.

Sulfur is not a lubricant in of itself, but it can combine with the nickel content in many metal alloys to form a low melting point eutectic alloy that can increase lubricity. The process used to reduce the sulfur also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties. Lubricity is a measure of the fuel's ability to lubricate and protect the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from wear. The processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also removes naturally-occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel. To manage this change ASTM International (formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials) adopted the lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975[8] for all diesel fuels and this standard went into effect January 1, 2005.[9] The D975 standard defines two USLD standards, Grade No. 2-D S15 (regular ULSD) and Grade No. 1-D S15 (a higher volatility fuel with a lower gelling temperature than regular ULSD).

Reactions: Az2500Cummins

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I know why this poll was started and I'm pretty sure Sharpy didn't want it to turn into another debate.

This is the polls section, let's keep it to answering the poll and augmenting your vote with why you do or don't use additives, we can argue the merits of both someplace else.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have never used any additives in any of my vehicles. Gas or diesel. Pour in the fuel and go... :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I know why this poll was started and I'm pretty sure Sharpy didn't want it to turn into another debate.

This is the polls section, let's keep it to answering the poll and augmenting your vote with why you do or don't use additives, we can argue the merits of both someplace else.
I don't quite understand your point.

Someone posted that they didn't use additives and augmented it with the fact that neither the vehicle manufacturer nor the engine manufacturer stated in their manuals that additives were required. I happen to agree and said so.

My second post was meant to augment why I thought additives weren't required.

No one is arguing or debating. Just presenting facts to agument reasons.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I don't quite understand your point.

Someone posted that they didn't use additives and augmented it with the fact that neither the vehicle manufacturer nor the engine manufacturer stated in their manuals that additives were required. I happen to agree and said so.

My second post was meant to augment why I thought additives weren't required.

No one is arguing or debating. Just presenting facts to agument reasons.
I understand your reasoning and I'm on your side when it comes to the use of additives when it comes to ULSD, all I'm saying is let's keep this simple. Yes or no and what purpose it serves for you, no need for giving specific facts, reports, etc as to why as I know how threads devolve into endless debates. This poll isn't about who is right or wrong, just who is doing it and why, even if it's just opinion or "what they've done forever." :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I understand your reasoning and I'm on your side when it comes to the use of additives when it comes to ULSD, all I'm saying is let's keep this simple. Yes or no and what purpose it serves for you, no need for giving specific facts, reports, etc as to why as I know how threads devolve into endless debates. This poll isn't about who is right or wrong, just who is doing it and why, even if it's just opinion or "what they've done forever." :thumbsup:
OK gotcha. Thanks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Think about it, any manufacturing company, not just automotive relies on aftermarket parts sales. Their not going to recommend something that going to add life. all they care is if it makes it past their warranty period..Cummins has no say in the 6.7L. any CTD once it's in dodges hands...

Reactions: Az2500Cummins

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you voted yes, please post up a quick message as to how often and why. Lubricity, cetane/power improvement, injector cleaning, anti-gel...? Every tank, every oil change, random...?

I voted yes because I run a bottle of Diesel Kleen every oil change to try and keep the injectors cleaner. I don't do it every tank for lubricity or cetane boost.
I tried to edit the poll for more options like you suggested, but either my brain stopped working:banghead:eek:r it wont allow it...:confused013:NIGHTSHIFT SUCKS:homer:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I used additives last winter pretty religously just cause i didnt want to be stuck at Snowshoe trying to find someone to help in like 3 feet of snow. I didnt use any this winter till i noticed it was running rough on colder morning even being plugged in so i ran some. it did help i think i may have had just a little bit of water in the fuel but its all good now.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I put in a little Howe's diesel fuel treatment every fill. Mostly cause I run a lot of rig fuel and never know whats in there. I do it cause I get it (Howe's) for free and figure it can't hurt.

·
Marble Crusher
1,856 Posts
I use some in my personal 02 24v, but not on my 08 work truck

-Jordan-

·
THE OX
809 Posts
bump......

·
Registered
116 Posts