Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay have fun with this one....Its an 03 103k with EZ tuner. Original injectors... It has been running awesome and just last night I was at a light and when it turned green I started to acclerate but the truck dies. Then it turns over and over but no refire.....???? So after a few tries I pump the gas and it picks up. I drive a few miles down the road stop to put fuel in....(it had 1/4 of a tank prior) it idles perfect while i am filling the tank, I start to pull onto the highway and it dies again.???? So few more tries and i hold the pedal down a bit and it fires and goes on again....plenty of power. I drive 5 miles and no problem at avg speed....then I slow to turn in the subdivision and it dies again...same scenario....got it to the house and it idles for about 20 seconds and dies again.? I went out this morning and tried it...same thing after it fired it idle for a good 10 minutes. Afraid to drive it for fear of it stranding me on the road somewhere..
PLEASE HELP :$:

·
Registered
227 Posts
typical lift pump failure in progress. what area in Morristown are you in? I am from Talbott. I moved away about 3 years ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lift pump setback?? Maybe

so whats the cost on lift pump if that be the case? and question 2 are their performance upgrades to a lift pump?

I am actually in Talbott in Beacon Hills. Moved back here in Dec. '05 from Oak Ridge. :beer

Todd

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would look into the FASS System. If you are using any other performance upgrades it will give you the fuel supply that you need. It is not cheap but worth the money. The set up that you currently have should have the pump mounted to the rear of the fuel filter housing. Dodge has an update that would move it to inside of the fuel tank. I would go with an aftermarket system. Maybe someone will chime in with further advise on what system to go with.

I lived on Knollgate ct just across 11E From you. All of my folks still live in that area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AirDog vs. FASS

If anyone has the Airdog system please give me your thoughts. I do know it has a lifetime warranty and is slightly less expensive than the FASS system....:$:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If anyone has the Airdog system please give me your thoughts. I do know it has a lifetime warranty and is slightly less expensive than the FASS system....:$:
FASS hpfp 150. you will not b sorry!:thumbsup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Performance pump

Let me also add that I pull a 38' 5th wheel camper that weighs about 16k so I do more towing than the high speed off the line....occ. a little "show off" at a stoplight but I don't want to tempt the high egt's while pulling the beast to the race for the weekend... IDEAS???

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Read this thread. this is what I just did to my truck over the weekend.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/general-diesel-discussion/59010-bd-lift-pump.html

Some guys don't like the Carter style pumps, but to each his own. I have less than $340 in the whole setup. Pump kit, filters, filter mounts, etc. I don't need a big pump, the stocker was fine, but I just wanted something simple. Works for me. I like it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was The Lift Pump...now What

okay guys, i am going to make a decision today on this, The OEM intank vs. the AirDog 100..... I am within 50 bucks either way. So SOMEONE that has the AirDog PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me if you have noticed any benefits (not just mental) since you have installed the system.... I have read articles and talked to dealers but they aren't going to tell me anything bad about something they are trying to sell. I really would like so input for an owner of this product.

Thanks to everyone...
Good Call Brian..
and how did you wind up in Texas???

·
Registered
227 Posts
I actually came down on vacation and loved it so much i moved three months later. You may have seen my Big Red Dodge turn out on 11E a few times rollin the black smoke.:peelout I usually come to the area a few times a year to do some horse trading. The last time i was in your area it looks like a few more guys are running around in Diesel trucks. I was getting tired of only getting to mess with the gassers.:lol3:

Well good luck on your lift pump purchase. I am sure someone on here will chim in with some more advice.:thumbsup

·
Registered
120 Posts
Go airdog. easyer to replace when it brakes, better filters. when pump starts to die it atlest keeps it with in same running conductions.

·
Registered
242 Posts
airdog all the way, I've been thru 3 LPs, one carter and 2 airtex, airdog rocks man.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Yeah, If your gona do one of the 2 you listed, go with the airdog. But I'm happy with my carter and homebrew filter setup too!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update!!!

Okay just an update, I went with the Airdog FP-150 (sale price same as FP-100). Finally got it it to the tech and after the install it made a horrible screeching sound...could hear it over the radio inside the cab..even at hwy speed. Turns out it was a bad electric motor and they have sent me a new one. However the tech says $65 bucks to replace the old one and the company say they wont pay it but will give me some free filters...so I guess I will bite the bullet on it....I haven't been in a big rush for the truck yet though since fuel is $4.50 a gal and I am in China until the 4th of June... anyway the part will be installed on Tuesday and we will see what she does then...

Any thoughts on what I should add next? Since i have more fuel flowing?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Smarty, all the way! $65 to replace, and airdog wouldn't pay? WTF!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Latest update is that I received the 2nd pump (FP-150) from pureflow and it was faulty same as the first. I have requested a third pump. If this one is bad also I have no idea what I will do.....I am losing faith in the product. They claim they had a bad batch of pumps and I was lucky enough to get 2 of them....nice huh? What should I get next to improve performance but not afffect my towing ability.

:$:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts