Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was heading home, driving behind my friend (2000 powerstroke). I went to WOT to catch up to him and when I reached a high rpm, my truck began to start missing. Making sure it wasn't a freak accident, I hit a high rpm again and it missed again. So I turned off my tuner and took it easy going home. As I was a block away from home, my truck shut off. I tried to start it back up, it tried to turn over, but wouldn't. So we pushed it to a near parking spot and left it for the night. Im thinking that it is a fuel issue because my truck cranks, but does not seem like its getting fuel.

Keep in mind I'm an idiot and I was running an Edge Comp box on the stock lift pump with no fuel gauge. So today I go out to my truck to check if I was getting fuel. I cracked the banjo going into the VP to make sure my lift pump was pushing fuel up. I cranked it and fuel came out of the banjo. So I moved on to the vp. I cracked the injector lines to see if I was getting fuel there. I cranked the truck over and fuel came out of lines 3 and 4, but not 1. Thats all I have done so far, because it is hard to work on my truck in a parking lot. Do you think that the issue is fuel related? If so, do you think my vp isn't working properly?

Any suggestions on what I should do or what my problem is would be greatly appreciated, I need my truck for school and work.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you have a draw straw? did you run the fuel tank low?
you may have to open up your injector lines and bleed them
I have a full tank that I filled up yesterday, but before that I was running on my light.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Crack the easy lines to get at, crank the truck to get it to cycle the lift pump for 30 seconds, you should have good flow of fuel there somewhere. Then bump the starter again if you have it at 2 or more cylinders, then try cranking it. If you have fuel spraying close the lines spraying and keep at the cranking. Once 3 injectors are spewing it should be close to starting, close them off and crank it should fire and idle on the 3, and clean the rest up quickly.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will definitely be replacing my lift pump soon. And I will try that tomorrow.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went out today and tried to bleed the system. The lines started to spew, so I closed them. Then the truck would try to turn over, crank for a few seconds, try to turn over, repeat. After several attempts to bleed, we got the same results each time. What could be causing this?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone have input? I need my truck soon, its just sitting in a parking lot

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
keep the lines open..... when they start spraying everything under the hood, close them up.

if that doesnt work there is a link in my signature about bluechip diesel.... go to that link, and try the hotwire trick. if you cant get it bled and running that way you need a new vp44....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried bleeding it again. Nothing. So I'm gonna try the hotwire test tomorrow. And if that doesn't work then I might need a new vp. Any other suggestions? Could it be a sensor thats causing it?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No codes. None ever came up

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But I can hear my lift pump turning on, and when I cracked the banjo bolt gong into the vp, there was fuel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts