Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So i did my clutch yesterday and i have a question for anyone that has pulled the tranny before on a 6spd cummins.....Wtf is with the cross member??? Is there any tricks to getting it back in? I ended up having to actually put a jack between the frame and push it out a little bit. I didnt like doing that so i wanna know just incase i have to do it again.

Thanks

Registered
So i did my clutch yesterday and i have a question for anyone that has pulled the tranny before on a 6spd cummins.....Wtf is with the cross member??? Is there any tricks to getting it back in? I ended up having to actually put a jack between the frame and push it out a little bit. I didnt like doing that so i wanna know just incase i have to do it again.

Thanks
thats kinda strange cuz when i had to take mine out for the auto to 5spd swap all i did was hammer it out of there. the part of the frame where the crossmember sits is slanted into a kind of v shape. so what i did was hammer it back and down, and it went back in easy as pie

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Yea it deffinately wasnt that easy for me lol i spent a lot of time on it and couldnt seem to get it in...i had a pretty big hammer to lol

Premium Member
what ive found to work best is a 10 ton porta power just spread the frame and it goes right up in and comes out just as easy with no hammering.:thumbsup:

mike

Registered
Yea me and my dad dropped the tranny in my truck. We tried to bend it in a little and we finally used a comealong to ratchet it together and hamered it in enough to slide it back in.
HINT: USE BAR SOAP(lava, suave etc...) helps more than WD-40 ever thought about.

Registered
The trick is to take the cross member as far back on the frame and slide it up inbetween the frame and then just slide it forward. Thats how ive done the last 2 now and it works really slick.

Premium Member
Going forward worked for mine. A little persuasion with hammer helps. Spreading helps also if have access to a port a power.

Registered
I used my Hi-Lift to spread the frame :hehe:

Registered
Yea it deffinately wasnt that easy for me lol i spent a lot of time on it and couldnt seem to get it in...i had a pretty big hammer to lol
well obviously the problem is the size of hammer....get a bigger hammer you p***y :lol4:

Registered
Porta power works the best, we measured the frame before and after the install and it never changed at all!!!

Registered
I had the same issues, it took alot of cussin and smoke breaks to gather the tools back up from the yard.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Well im glad to see im not the only one who had issues with it lol

Registered
porta powers are awesome for this, I rigged up a 10ton bottle jack and a round fence post to spread the frame, makes life so much easier, thank god they went to a different cross member design on the 3rd gens, it would save me a lot of time when I would have to pull a tranny

Registered
On the 3rd gens that crossmember is CAKE to get out. Perfect design. I was so pissed when I saw that for the first time.

Registered
doing it without a porta power is a pain in the *ss. Did one without it, never again. Porta power worked perfect. You dont need to apply much it will drop right out.

Registered
doing it without a porta power is a pain in the *ss. Did one without it, never again. Porta power worked perfect. You dont need to apply much it will drop right out.
i must've got lucky with mine cuz i just walked mine out side to side with my trusty sledgehammer. then i just used a smaller--what to call them--deadblow hammer to tap it back in. so for once something went my way for once, oh a happy day it was for me:hehe::hehe::hehe:

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
i must've got lucky with mine cuz i just walked mine out side to side with my trusty sledgehammer. then i just used a smaller--what to call them--deadblow hammer to tap it back in. so for once something went my way for once, oh a happy day it was for me:hehe::hehe::hehe:
Yea well do mine without spreading the frame then you can call me a ***** :buttkick:

Registered
why are you guys having so much trouble with this simple part???

did you hit a massive rock and bend it out of shape?

hey nothing like bending stuff to make it fit :thumbsup:

i was looking for the smile face looking into a pail at a bunch of extra bolts and washers, but i couldn;t find it :lol4:

i think this will work :redneck:

Registered
have you done a cross member on a 2nd gen, the frame squeezes it so that it pretty much doesn't move.

Registered
It's mounted on a couple of wedges,if you look at it you can see them,just jack up the transmission and hammer it towards the back....not hard.
Once you get it out you can see what I mean,I've done it on a couple of rigs and never took me more than a few minutes (after I battled the first one forever)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts