Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overheated Saturday as my fan and clutch wires got into an argument - the wires lost.

No problem really as I've been through this before so I put a new clutch in Sunday. Other than just starting the truck to make sure the fan was running, it sat till this morning. With a morning temp in the mid 50s, my truck sounded like a small aircraft when I pulled out of my driveway. I went from a full tank of diesel to just over half with 120 miles of driving today.

I pulled the fuse but the fan still runs like I'm overheating (I'm not). I even unplugged the wire harness to the clutch and it still seems locked up on full speed. Also, with the truck off and cool, it's my understanding the fan should free spin. It does not.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a scanner to perform the proper tests. Your opinion. . . Do I have a brand new but a defective clutch?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
If you connect 12v to the clutch wiring it should unlock. If this is the case, you have an electrical problem. If the clutch doesn’t release with the 12v, you need a new fan clutch.

If I’m wrong, someone will be along very quickly to correct me.

Reactions: 10sc

·
Trying to learn
8,037 Posts
Get a replacement from where you purchased it.

·
1,590 Posts
What brand did you use that had this problem? I just ordered a Hayden one and interested in how it performs.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you connect 12v to the clutch wiring it should unlock. If this is the case, you have an electrical problem. If the clutch doesn’t release with the 12v, you need a new fan clutch.

If I’m wrong, someone will be along very quickly to correct me.
I'll give that a shot and see what happens. As it turns out, it seems that back in 2013 when I first replaced the clutch, they sold me wrong one. And I've used the same wrong one every time since. They have one for 04s up to Jan 04 manuf date and one for later builds. Mine was built in July of 04.

I got the right one to put on but I will try the 12v release before I swap them out. The only difference in appearance is how the wires are protected. The proper clutch for my truck has metal braces to keep the wires stiff and in place.

Reactions: 4everlearning

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Supplying power didn't unlock the clutch. Swapped it out and now back to normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts