Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 6.7 15,386 miles

I changed my fuel filters today and when the job was done the truck kept cranking for awhile, then it caught and ran for a few seconds then conked out. I tried to re-start and it cranked way longer than usual before it fired, it's running fine now.

I know what the problem was- I totally forgot to prime the engine bay filter canister before putting the lid back on. Can this somehow damage anything? Somebody told me I may have hosed my injectors??

Thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
When the dealer, any dealer, does a fuel filter change on a vehicle similar to yours they do not prime the canister. In fact, if you do some searching on this site you will find that pre-filling the canister is not recommended due to the possibility of introducing debris into the fuel system. If after changing the filter and closing the canister you turn the ignition to run, the lift pump will run for a few seconds to get fuel where it needs to be and then stop. You should then turn the ignition off without attempting to start the engine. Do this 2 or 3 times to prime the system before cranking the engine. A dealer will simply crank the engine until it fires. Neither method will harm the engine or injectors.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the dealer, any dealer, does a fuel filter change on a vehicle similar to yours they do not prime the canister. In fact, if you do some searching on this site you will find that pre-filling the canister is not recommended due to the possibility of introducing debris into the fuel system. If after changing the filter and closing the canister you turn the ignition to run, the lift pump will run for a few seconds to get fuel where it needs to be and then stop. You should then turn the ignition off without attempting to start the engine. Do this 2 or 3 times to prime the system before cranking the engine. A dealer will simply crank the engine until it fires. Neither method will harm the engine or injectors.
Whew! Thanks!

I do remember now turning the ignition on and off a few times the last time I did this job. I will remember this in the future, thanks again!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
HPCR engines are self priming ... though as others have pointed out it takes some on/off key turns to fully prime the empty canister.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Injectors are fine. They actually need the fuel pressure to even move internally. No fuel prime = no fuel to move injectors. All that would have been happening is the solenoids would be clicking. All is well, and nothing will be damaged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts