Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98.5 4WD. My question is do any of you have the Power puck? And if so does it make a difference, does it wake the truck up? I have noticed it is one of the least expense upgrades. im looking at the 50hp 150ftlbs of torque.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just instaled one this last weekend. Its not super noticible but you can tell ther is a difference the 150 ft lbs helps all the way through the rpms I have 3.55 gears so it helps with accel it can also be stacked. hope this helps and good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have 3.73 gears

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a power puck on my 2001 and it did wake the truck up. Straight piped it with a 4" exhaust and the chip pulls through all RPMs and doesn't slow down going up hills anymore and no turbo lag. Bottom end feels like my wife's Armada that has 305 HP. I would recommend one if you just want a very mild upgrade without having to upgrade your fuel system. These guys got the best prices under $200 shipped.

https://us-dc2-order.store.yahoo.ne...=klasseproductsdirect&sectionId=ysco.one-page

Reactions: mike24v

·
Registered
138 Posts
anyone wanna buy one? i have one but i have a edge comp box now..

·
Registered
389 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Very interesting. I only notice a puff of smoke on start up. I'll have to look in the mirror more carefully next time I stomp on it. I have a new factory LP, and new stock fuel filter. The previous owner installed a new VP44, and something happened leading to a new cylinder head, all installed and adjusted by Cummins.

Are there variations in stock injectors/VP44's enough to cause visible smoke in some and none in the other?

BTW, I love your moniker. I am too, fellow Christophile!:agree2:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Very interesting. I only notice a puff of smoke on start up. I'll have to look in the mirror more carefully next time I stomp on it. I have a new factory LP, and new stock fuel filter. The previous owner installed a new VP44, and something happened leading to a new cylinder head, all installed and adjusted by Cummins.

Are there variations in stock injectors/VP44's enough to cause visible smoke in some and none in the other?
I have power mirrors, so every now and then I just adjust the passenger one down to see the tailpipe :w:

[/QUOTE]BTW, I love your moniker. I am too, fellow Christophile!:agree2:[/QUOTE]

What? Was that directed at me? If so I don't get it...

·
Registered
347 Posts
i got the puck on mine when i bought it and have unhooked it and didnt really notice a diff in it. i see a lil smoke when start or if i power brake it a lil comes out but just taking off it dont smoke at all. i dont even know if mine is working right thou cause if it cuts lag i still got alot but who knows maybe im just askin to much of it

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I got power puck to help with pulling hills with my 8k 5th in tow. Even with winter fuel I will never be the one holding up traffic, can easily pull 60 on any grade in the Oregon coast range.

I did need to replace my clutch after installing it as I was able to spin the stockier pulling a 6% grade at 60+.

Best bang for the Buck in my book 235 Hp stock + 50 hp = 21% increase in HP
Stock 410 ft. lbs. Torque +150 ft. lbs. = 36% increase in Torque

I looked a bit for the best price and I found it here.
Diablo Sport Power Puck

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've been playing with the idea of getting a Power Puck for a couple years. I'd love to wake my truck up a little, but my main priority is keeping my truck forever. So far the only modification to the motor is removing the turbo silencer ring.

I've heard that computer modifications can shorten the lives of the engine. Anybody have input?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I've been playing with the idea of getting a Power Puck for a couple years. I'd love to wake my truck up a little, but my main priority is keeping my truck forever. So far the only modification to the motor is removing the turbo silencer ring.

I've heard that computer modifications can shorten the lives of the engine. Anybody have input?
PP is only a timing chip, so the effect on the engine is minimal, it might only make it to 900K.

The Cummins in you dodge is tuned down from its former life, so it won't tear the truck apart. It is how you treat it after adding the chip more than the chip it's self.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Power Chips/Programmers/whatever don't harm the longevity of your motor. However, if you install quadzilla for instance and go around flooring it giggling becuase you have smoke, then in the longrun yes..it can affect it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just put one on my 98.5 and for the money it was worth it. However, unlike some of the others on here, I can't get my truck to smoke. which is just fine with me, no need to waste fuel as a broke college student. Could be because I have 4.10 gears and 235/850r16's. It's really easy for my truck to roll with those so engine load is pretty light. Install was simple, got delivered and literally 10 minutes later I was on the road testing it out. Your seat-o-the-pants dyno will feel a difference just don't expect it to turn into a drag truck. what it offered for me was a boost in practical/usable power at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have the puck. Installed when I put the 275 sticks in. I can see some smoke when i get into overdrive and put my foot into it but then clears up.
Good investment. I use my truck to tow 7500 to 8k. Got plenty of pedal left.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts