Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi im new on here, and I am currently deployed in Afghanistan. At home I have an 03 5.9, 4x4, 6 speed, i have on it right now a bully dog, afe stage 2 intake, 4 inch straight pipe, and centerforce clutch. I also have an HX35W turbo and can get another one, if for what ever reason i needed one, any way i want to get everything that i need to upgrade my rig to either this turbo or a bigger one than the stock one. what do i need in the way of intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, exhaust, and any other mods? i dont have a real horse power that im trying to reach and this is not my daily driver. i have a trailer that weighs about 14000 lbs that i pull through the mountains occasionally but other than that i just use it for play. any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would say go with....
Twins Turbo
Twin CP3
Fass 150/150
Built transmission
Upgraded injectors
Gauges

That would be it. Also wont be cheap.

Reactions: uaiwannagohome

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok for starters could i use twin hx35w turbos for the turbo set? what injectors would i use? should i loose the bully dog and run a smarty tst or use no programer? and what would i do to my 6 speed to make it stronger, im a fan of run it till it breaks nless there is a significant gain. thanks

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If you have a good clutch your 6speed is good unless you go for huge horsepower. I dont know much about the hx35 but if you tow i would get a stock he351 and do a stocker/s400 twin setup from one of many companies that produce them. You also wont need twin cp3's if your not going big either, get yourself a good stage 1,2,3 from the reputable builders. With a stock/s400 twin setup you wont need injector nozzles but could easily upgrade to 90's if you wanted more. Also you need at least a boost and EGT guage so you know what the truck is doing. You will also want a lift pump such as a raptor, airdog or fass. If you plan on pushing more than 50lbs of boost youll need head studs and most say springs if you plan on more than 55lbs of boost

·
Registered
136 Posts
Also would look into the coolant bypass and external oil filter.

Here is a pretty good graph of expense vs power for diesels. What does it cost to build a hot rod?

BTW I say twin turbo's because of your towing.
From what I have been reading, twin CP3's is better than the upgraded ones, but also more expensive.

It really depends on what the goal for your truck is and how much you are willing to spend. For reliable towing, I say twin turbo's and all the supporting mods that go with it.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
no twin hx 35's defeat the purpose of twins you want a smaller turbo feeding a larger turbo to keep the egts down, also a hx35 is a downgrade on these trucks, you would want something like a 62 over a s480 some 120 horse injectors, a big single cp3, studs, springs and a coolant bypass with a airdog or fuelboss, smarty tnt and a 2 micron fuel filter setup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts