Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so i recieved my SDX delivery valves today from ups. im very excited to do the install. I have looked through the tech posting on the install and i think it will be a big help but i am wondering if the dv holders need to be torqued to a certain spec. Also if anything else has been left out of the tech article i would appriciate any extra knowlege to make this install go smoothly.

this is the link to the tech article----

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-performance/168622-delivery-valve-install-pics.html

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
i never torqued to a certain spec, just good n tight works for most of us, do one at a time if it makes you feel better and sorta make a note on how the other pieces in the holder come out(spring, et), its very easy to do and fairly self explanatory, good luck

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can do, it looked fairly simple i was hoping so, my boss seems to think otherwise. any estimate on the install time?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
It's pretty simple and straight forward. Follow that link and you'll be fine. It can be done in under an hour. I also TQ mine down to "good and tight."

On a side note, uncrank your starwheel and tune your AFC otherwise your truck will be a smokey mess. Hope your not running a stock turbo.....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The turbo is getting a changeup as soon as i get the dvs in.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've read 86ft/lbs. Think there was a thread on compd.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
28. Pre-torque the holder to 40 NM (29 lb. ft.). Next, in one motion, torque the holder to 115 NM (85 LB. FT.). (Figure 19).
From dodgeram.org

·
Registered
343 Posts
i just checked quickserve, and as stated above from Bulldog77
step 1 29 lbft,
step 2 85 lbft. one fluid motion.
also it does say to lubricate threads with a few drops of 90wt oil. but do not lubricate the Dv gskt or seating area.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went together all good guys, got her done in two hours. Went very smoothly. Huge power gain, no more getting to 2200rpms and defuel. Fueling much smoother but also more aggressive as i was hoping. Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
If you don't have governor springs then you're still defueling, it's just not as obvious at 2200 with your new found fuel.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yep, if you (the OP- original poster) do not have 3,000rpm, 4,000rpm, or 5,000rpm governor springs that should be the very next thing you should do.

A GSK should probably be the very first thing everyone should do to make their truck more liveable.

A GSK (governor spring kit) will wake up even a stock truck in an extremely noticeable way. The pump will fuel much harder and the engine will rev much much smoother and quicker. A 3K GSK will fuel hard to about 2,800-2,900rpm, a 4K GSK will fuel hard to about 3,900rpm, and a 5K GSK will fuel even higher (not sure on the 5K, but guessing 4,800-4,900rpm?).

When my truck had the stock governor springs it would completely fall on its face at around 2,200rpm (normal for a '97). It was extremely noticeable and staying in the accelerator past that point was worthless. Night and day difference with the 4K GSK (and #10 plate).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Smoked Gun:

I have just finished the install of 3k Gsk because i didn't want to do the new exhaust springs. It made a huge difference in the trucks driveablity. I have also ordered the new OFV and change fuel filters but my truck still seems to run out of fuel at 2200 but only doing 60mph or greater. 0-60 i can go right to 3000rpm. after that it starts cutting out. I've read the fuel write up and just want to know if DV's are my next step. I haven't upgraded the trans yet and I fear the TC will not live long. No AFC tuning yet either as I have read numerous times how it will kill the stock auto... Do the DV's act like the GSK in that you are not producing much more power but more usable range of power? Just trying to build a tow rig.....

·
4,002 Posts
spend money on the tranny first.....there is a guy on compD selling singles for 300, but regardless you need a TC and VB setup first.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I figured. In drag racing (dragsters not diesel trucks) we go for higher rpm converters such as mine 6400 stall. thats just above where cam and intake start producing hp. Is this the same for diesels? or is it a standard "gimme a TC for a tow truck type"... are there custom stalls... back to DV's. is it actually producing more HP or more usuable like a GSK?

·
4,002 Posts
I figured. In drag racing (dragsters not diesel trucks) we go for higher rpm converters such as mine 6400 stall. thats just above where cam and intake start producing hp. Is this the same for diesels? or is it a standard "gimme a TC for a tow truck type"... are there custom stalls... back to DV's. is it actually producing more HP or more usuable like a GSK?
stall is way more important on a diesel than a gasser imho. call dave goerend and have a conversation with him as to what you want to do with your truck and he will have a setup for ya. Different DV's will lead to different amounts of fuel that the pump is able to push out...while the governor springs limit rack travel(available fuel) vs. engine speed. Governor springs wont increase the output of a pump, just let the pump fuel to its capacity up to a higher rpm.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
but my truck still seems to run out of fuel at 2200 but only doing 60mph or greater. 0-60 i can go right to 3000rpm. after that it starts cutting out.
That sounds like you have a fuel supply problem. The gsk kit does not know what speed you're moving at, it will fuel to the same rpm regardless. If I had to guess, I'd imagine that your truck sputters at the higher rpms at interstate speeds, and probably smokes blue. If you have a pyro, it's probably reading pretty high during the high rpm sputter. I went through exactly what you're describing before I found the restriction, which turned out to be the 4th fuel filter in the tank pickup no one seems to know about. Not saying you're having an issue with that, it's just what the problem was on my truck.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Somewhat, the stall choice has more to do with your turbo choice then anything, you really dont want to get much higher than the stock stall for a DD.

Im guessing your running a small block, with a 6400rpm stall.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts