Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just asking this out loud. For so many people having to do emissions testing, why not just get another ecm flashed to your VIN and a set of nox/dpf filters for emissions testing, then swap everything back to “deleted tuning” and be done? This way seems the better way to do it while looking stock for that just Incase moment your get pulled over.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Just asking this out loud. For so many people having to do emissions testing, why not just get another ecm flashed to your VIN and a set of nox/dpf filters for emissions testing, then swap everything back to “deleted tuning” and be done? This way seems the better way to do it while looking stock for that just Incase moment your get pulled over.
Swaping exhaust every time and now an ECM. You just added another step? Maybe Im not following.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Takes an hour at most to swap everything, then do some driving to get the IM Readiness monitors set and your golden. This would only be good for people that have yearly or bi-annual emissions testing, such as California.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Spending money on an extra ECM? You still have to swap the exhaust?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ECM is $600 flashed to your VIN, and if you have your stock exhaust, no more money to spend. I’m just saying if you had both, legal and “questionable” stuff, you could swap as necessary and be go to go. But if some is gonna spend $15/2k on exhaust,tuning and such, this may be a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
You still have that cost of tuning+ the ECM which is not $600. It's quicker to reflash then pull the ECM and take a chance on damaging the connector pins. So I don't follow how it is cheaper. So less than an hour to swap out the exhaust and the ECM? Your fast.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My truck was tuned and gutted Nox/Dpf filters. Dealer sent me the filters and I bought another ECM flashed to my VIN, now my truck just passed smog. I’m happy and the truck will run better real soon.

I guess this would pertain to people that bought a tuned truck. For me, just made sense to have both.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Why not just have the tuner that's capable of stock and race tuning. You need something to load your tunes with any way. Cheaper than a 2nd ecm.

Edit I see you bought it tuned. Do you know who's tuning is in the truck? What settings? Anything? That would drive me bonkers not knowing.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t know who/what tuned it. So for me, this has worked out. But what I can say is “it’s a BEAST” with the tune on it, mpg’s are definitely better.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
You should be cautious. If the truck had a h&s and the PO just pulled the head unit, the timing goes to default. Quick ticket to a new head gasket. Hopefully for your sake it was good quality tuning and no harm will come.
What of trans tuning? Is it also tuned?

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I don’t know who/what tuned it. So for me, this has worked out. But what I can say is “it’s a BEAST” with the tune on it, mpg’s are definitely better.
As long as the beast doesn’t get its HG comprised with aggressive timing that you have no clue of.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m well aware of HG issues, so I drive like a civilized human being. I never get on till it’s up to operating temp and I never go above 2000 rpm’s. All because I don’t know what tune it has.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Bad tuning and tip toe driving doesn’t stop the damage. If you had an H&S unit on there and now it’s gone...... for example. You signature is not filled out so don’t know what Model year your driving. If it’s past a 2012 then no worries of that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s a 2011. I don’t know what or who the tune is, neither does anyone on here. So “we” can’t say what is or isn’t. Hell, it could be a canned tune for all I know.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
It’s a 2011. I don’t know what or who the tune is, neither does anyone on here. So “we” can’t say what is or isn’t. Hell, it could be a canned tune for all I know.
And if it was an H&S Mini Maxx which you can’t rule out because you don’t know and this has been done several times where guys remove the tuner you could be having issues that you cannot see. To save a few bucks? Trying help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What is the best way to go about swapping your tunes as far as from tow street performance is it cool on the fly iv got a 2010 6.7 with the mini maxx

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I couldn’t tell ya. I have a complete set up of parts that is smog legal and a set up for off road use only. Takes an hour to swap everything over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts