Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

deletes

1796 Views 15 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  BIGHOSS6.7
okay i have been reading and researching on deleting the egr and the dpf and gettin juiced ! and been contemplating on doing so with all the codes i have been getting with the emitions crap. but the sole purpose of me getting this truck ( 2500 quadcab heavyduty bighorn edition ) was to pull my camper for when my family and i go on vacation and i was just wondering will it still be reliable and not leave us stranded 300 - 800 miles from home ? and granted i know mechanical things break down, but i dont want it to happen becaues of what i have done to the truck. i guess i am just looking for some feed back to ease my mind becaues this truck is awesome! never owned a diesel truck before and i love this rig:hyper:
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
124 Posts
I have my 07 straight piped with an XRT and love it! It is more reliable now than when it was stock it used to throw all of those emition codes after I did all the deletes and XRT I have not had any problems or codes.

Reactions: kaczenski

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i apreciate your response i am going to delete the egr and dpf . i already purchased an h&s egr cooler delete and now i need to get an exhaust with the dpf delete any suggestions on an exhaust!??

· Registered
1,027 Posts
Granted, the codes that keep popping up are a pain but as long as you are under warranty, Dodge will/should fix teh issue. The minute you remove all of the stock stuff, you basically just voided the warranty if Dodge find out. No big deal right? Well that may or may not make the truck more reliable. Once you pull that stuff off and start adding tuners and stuff, you start making the motor cause more strain on the transmission and other parts. You could just as easily be stranded by; a blown headgasket, cracked injector, trashed transmission and who knows what else.

If that happens while you are on the road, good luck reverting back to stock to "fool" Dodge who now won't repair your vehicle because you voided the warranty.

Soap box is over. I too intend to mod but I was only trying to make it clear that by making it reliable one way, may make is less reliable in another way. You are trading one for another. But with one, you have a warranty to back you up, the other you do not.

· Registered
502 Posts
After having all the emission problems with my truck I went ahead started doing my mods. Wish I would of started the day I brought the truck home. I have the edge with juice now and all the deletes and haven't had any emission problems since. I think I'm going to be upgrading to a black maxx as soon as the funds come together though. If you have a dealer that works with you they may over look your mods, my does. I did have an injector go out of my truck at the end of summer and they covered it.

· Registered
241 Posts
I intend to do the deletes as soon as possible, and only want the tuner to easily clear codes and "keep an eye on things". I do not intend to turn up the power, but the tuner is necessary with the deletes. IMO, this is the best of both worlds, as long as you can resist the additional power settings.

As long as you are willing to spend the time to put put the pipes back on and wire up the EGR, I dont see how you couldn't "fool" the dealer if you HAD to bring the truck. Seems like if you did it right, the DPR is a bolt-up application, and the EGR is a few plates and wiring harness.

Reactions: kaczenski

· Registered
1,027 Posts
I dont see how you couldn't "fool" the dealer if you HAD to bring the truck.
More often then not, a vehicle doesn't break down when it is convenient for you. It usually decides to break down in the middle of nowhere or far from home where your stock stuff is sitting. Unless you tow it home to install the stock stuff then tow it to the dealer, chances are you will end up at a dealer with obvious mods. Thats what I was getting at. Plus, it depends on what is wrong. You have serious engine issues and the dealer will check the ECM. If you think there won't be some tell tale sign of tampering in the ECM, all I can say is good luck. I hope the dealer tech you get is mod friendly.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i do plan on the deletes and was in the begining of my first post. i was just wondering if any one had reliability issues with all the deletes. and my rig isnt under warranty anymore. i am my warranty. one other question anyone know of a good dpf delete exhaust system

· Registered
1,027 Posts
i do plan on the deletes and was in the begining of my first post. i was just wondering if any one had reliability issues with all the deletes. and my rig isnt under warranty anymore. i am my warranty. one other question anyone know of a good dpf delete exhaust system
Reliability is based on perspective but since you don't have the warranty anymore it's a null issue :)

From my research, I don't think any one DPF delete is any better than another. That said, James at Rollin Smoke Diesel has some good DPF kits as well as just the DPF systems for a reasonable price.

· Registered
225 Posts
I too was thinking about doing the deletes that is until last week when I had to have my CP-3 pump replaced for leaks. The bill was $3894. Holy crap, if I had done the deletes I would have been stuck with a heafty bill and no warranty!

· Registered
1,027 Posts
I too was thinking about doing the deletes that is until last week when I had to have my CP-3 pump replaced for leaks. The bill was $3894. Holy crap, if I had done the deletes I would have been stuck with a heafty bill and no warranty!
:shock: just one more reason I have resisted the urge to do any major mods. Especially adding a tuner. At least with most bolt on mods I could change it back but you add a tuner and your toast.

· Registered
15 Posts
Kacsenski, Back To The Original Topic. The Dpf Delete Kits Are Mainly A Personal Choice, Stainless Or Not, Etc. My .02 Is Just Do Some Looking Around On The Internet And You Can Find Some Good Deals. As Far As The Tuner Is Concerned The Smarty And The H&s Tuners Are Both Great. If You Are Not Looking For Alot Of Power Check Out The Smarty Jr.

· Registered
300 Posts
I put the H&S 5'' TBE and EGR delete on my 08 6.7 with the shims and an TSP-MP8 and have had no problems what so ever. I am a contractor and travel all over I am 1000 miles from home right now and wouldn't hesitate to drive home right now.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
do i have to have a tuner for the dpf delete?

· Registered
300 Posts
No, you don’t have to have it, if you don't mind you check engine light being on. I got my DPF delete from H&S and the make electronic shims that plug into the sensors for you exhaust for the DPF delete so your truck doesn’t go into regeneration. They cost like 20$. Go to H&S Performance web sight and do some home work before you buy. You will have to cut your stock downpipe off un less you pay someone to lift your trans and pull the cross member. Don’t let that scare you, they make a 4’’ that bolts up to you stock down pipe and is good up to 500HP. Anything more than that you will need the 5’’..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.