Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I decide to delete my truck and add a tuner (to turn off dpf) do I need to get the head studs done. I use my truck as a daily driver, baseball practice with the kids, I'm one of those guys that really does not have a use for a diesel but loves em'. I love what i'm hearing about the drivability improvement with the deletes and increased mpg's. I may consider running the programmer on a mild tune, whichever you guys say is best for what I use my truck for.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just gone done doing my deletes and actually posted basically the same question in the 4th gen powertain. Sounds like what guys on here are saying is if you let it get to operating temp and dont drive like you stole all the time you will proabably be fine. I am going to do mine at some point but will not be for awhile. Seens how the wifey thinks I spent to much money already.:hehe: I am running my tuner on a mild tune and trust me you will not be disappointed when you get rid of all the emissions crap

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I realized they are similar post, but I'll probably ask some of the same questions. Just being over cautious with my truck. I will probably do studs in the future sometime, but not too soon. I was just looking at a mini maxx and was wondering what tune the truck could handle safely. 40, 80, or 120hp? I usually only baby my truck as I would like to keep it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
988 Posts
Power levels are different with DPF present vs removed. I have run mine on performance for the last 10000 miles with no problem but my I still have all my equipment on. I have no head studs as do many others. They are insurance and not necessary.

Turn off all the defuels, run on performance and set the timing to at least 4 if not 5. Watch your gauges and be sure the engine is at operating temperature before loading the engine very much.

sent from a van down by the river

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't mean to hijack, but would you be able to delete with SIMs and add a tuner at a later date to replace the SIMs and have the capability of the tuner?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Power levels are different with DPF present vs removed. I have run mine on performance for the last 10000 miles with no problem but my I still have all my equipment on. I have no head studs as do many others. They are insurance and not necessary.

Turn off all the defuels, run on performance and set the timing to at least 4 if not 5. Watch your gauges and be sure the engine is at operating temperature before loading the engine very much.

You still have your dpf? Right? Your running a mini maxx on performance, what hp/tq is that? What are defuels, is it sort of a safety thing? What's the purpose of setting timing as well?

·
Registered
988 Posts
You still have your dpf? Right? Your running a mini maxx on performance, what hp/tq is that? What are defuels, is it sort of a safety thing? What's the purpose of setting timing as well?

DPF present tuning is 120 hp and removed is 175 hp I believe. Yes, my DPF is still on. Defuels can be set to revert the tuning back to the mini maxx "stock" setting based on egt, engine coolant etc. to "protect" the engine but in reality, will do more harm because it gives too little fuel at the wrong time. You can go back and turn off all the defuels because they are set to defaults from the factory. No good. Timing needs to be bumped up when you increase the fuel because again, too much fuel too late is bad for the engine.

I am by no means a professional or a tuner. This is all info that I've learned by reading what much more intelligent people have discovered and shared with us. There is an MCC class thread that is very informative and has some great info on diesel operating theory and science.

·
Registered
70 Posts
while my truck is a 3rd gen, I also have a 6.7. It has been deleted with minimax that I run primarily on the "hot" setting (+175hp) for about 20k miles. With a stock fuel system and the generic H&S tunes, you aren't going to see drive pressures high enough to blow head gaskets. So to answer your question, no, you do not need head studs if you simply delete your truck. Pretty much anything after that, i'd recommend doing studs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts