Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 5.9 Turbo Diesel - Original owner
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this thread I will share my experience with receiving a defective Bosch Pressure Relief Valve from Diesel Power Products out of Washington.

To keep things to the point:
1) I received and installed a new Bosch PRV using the shop manuals direction of 52 ft Lbs for tightening to the common rail and 18 ft Lbs. for tightening the banjo bolt.
2) The new PRV leaked at idle around the connection point of the PRV to the common rail.
3) So, I reinstalled my old PRV using same torque specs and it didn't leak.
4) For confirmation of me doing something stupid, I once again for a second time reinstalled the new Bosch PRV with the same results - That is: it leaked at idle and even more at 2000 RPM's.
5) So I reinstalled my old PRV using same torque specs and it didn't leak for a second time.
6) I have started the RMA process with Diesel Power Products where they want to receive the new (but defective) Bosch PRV back to inspect. Meanwhile I wait to see if they will warranty the new part or determine I may have caused the situation.

I will keep those interested posted on Diesel Power Products customer service findings and the turn around time for Diesel Power Products to provide their customer service.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day 6 status:
Its been 6 days since I requested an RMA from Diesel Power Products to return the leaking new BOSCH Pressure relief valve for a replacement. Today I was granted an RMA number with instructions on exactly how to ship the leaking unit and the proper documentation that should accompany the unit.

I packed the unit as specified and took to the local UPS ship center. According to the UPS CSR the defective unit should arrive at Windsor WI by 5:00PM next Tuesday May 24, 2022. At that location they will evaluate the unit to determine if it indeed the PRV is defective causing the leak issue and render their decision as to if it will be warrantied or otherwise. Hopefully it will not take another 6 days for the decision to be made. However, assuming the worst, I have notified the credit card company I purchased the unit under just in case they should determine that there is nothing wrong with the unit but can't explain why it leaks but the old unit doesn't.

Will keep you posted.

4,030 Posts
That is really strange for a new 5.9L pressure relief valve to leak like that.
The only thing I can think of that it is a fake Chinese Bosch PRV.

I have spent more money at Diesel Power Products in Spokane, Washington than I care to admit. :)
I never had to return anything but they have been excellent to deal with in every case.

I recommend them and, nearby to them, Glacier Diesel regularly. I'm sure your return will process fine.

·
Registered
2004 Ram 2500 Cummins 5.9, 6sp
36 Posts
Hate to revive a month old thread, but what was the outcome? I'm curious because I too have spent entirely too much money (according to the wife) with DPP and have always had a great experience, although I've never had to return anything.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The answer is in: The request to DPP for replacement of a defective Bosch pressure relief valve, started on (May 16th, 2022). Today (June 21st, 2022) I was advised that a credit is forthcoming for the Bosch pressure relief valve. I assume that means that the Bosch warranty testing dept. determined that the part was indeed defective.

So it appears that the wheels turn slow at DPP but they do stand behind their products. I will now shop for a Bosch pressure relief valve from another diesel products supplier.

Thanks to those following but the reason I didn't respond sooner was there was nothing to respond about. I was waiting to hear from DPP. I had to email them today to find out the final status.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Geno's comes to mind....

GL

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I'm glad they are making good on the warranty, but it sucks it has taken so long. I'd second Geno's. They are always on the ball with shipping and even give free stickers and popcorn, so that's a plus!

·
Registered
If I unplug two injectors, will it be a Cummins?
9,409 Posts
I bought one at oreilleys, it was Bosch and not made in China. It was the lowest cost around.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
O'Reilly's, Gino's, Thoroughbred Diesel who???

Is there a consensus on this forum of a particular Diesel parts house that the majority of this community uses? In my case and many others on this forum I'm sure, I attempt to repair my own vehicle with the limited garage and equipment I have. In most cases, time to repair and to get back on the road is a key factor since its my daily driver.
But when you combine repairing your daily driver yourself with a supply house in the cloud that places a low premium on turn around time after the sale for defective parts, it makes you have to find a more reliable parts source and in many cases a local source is not available, so you go to the internet.

All that said, is there a consensus on an internet source for diesel parts that does place a premium on timely support after the sale?

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
O'Reilly's, Gino's, Thoroughbred Diesel who???

Is there a consensus on this forum of a particular Diesel parts house that the majority of this community uses?
Are you joking?
We are all individuals, we buy where we can and the price is right. Before you ask, no we don’t all call each other to make sure we buy from the same place.
You were given three suggestions, check them out, see who has the best price.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My truck is my DD. I have little faith in parts store parts. Their brake cleaner seems to be okay. I uses their batteries so I can get replacements if needed when traveling.

I buy from Rock Auto and Amazon as well. But not sensors or Cummins relief valves. Dumb stuff like brake pads that I have researched.

You need to pick who you trust and want to support.

My $ first go to the small biz owner before the Corp guys.

I have to continue to remind myself:

"The price is soon forgotten but the quality is long remembered."

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
A Bosch part made in the same country would be the same whether bought at a parts store or another place, no?
I forget where it was made, somewhere in Europe not China.

·
glacierdieselpower.com
1,220 Posts
DPP is one of my biggest dealers and I am grateful for them. The other companies mentioned in this thread are also solid. We're smaller, by the almighty dollar standards, compared to other companies but we will back our customer support and products 100 percent. I liked what @Alcharger said, "The price is soon forgotten but the quality is long remembered", amen to that.

Anyway, let us know if we can ever help with anything especially while times are tight right now! We are all feeling that pinch for sure. I would just stress the importance to filtration if you ever end up buying the cheaper diesel while it's so expensive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 5.9 has not been my daily driver for quite some time, so I can afford to wait for parts to come in. I understand completely those that don't have that luxury. That being said, yeah a Bosch part is a Bosch part no matter who you buy it from. Just my experience, but if I'm getting my parts locally and not from the stealership then I head to O'Reilly. Their people seem to be better trained and more knowledgeable compared to most places. I avoid AutoZone like the plague unless they are my absolute last resort and I refuse to buy anything from their house brand Duralast. Pure junk in my experience.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Do some sniffing if you’re in a major metro area; heck, even a medium metro area. If there’s a Cummins service station around you that works on class-6 thru -8 trucks (dump trucks, bread trucks, cement trucks, local rigs like gravel trucks, etc) they’ve probably got a Cummins parts warehouse nearby. I’m in Baton Rouge, and we have two. If you get your engine number off the valve cover, they can supply you with Cummins or Bosch parts usually at about the internet prices, but you’ll pay local sales tax for the privilege of a local storefront (some online retailers haven’t gone to that yet, but there’s usually shipping, so it’s more or less a wash on price). Good option if your daily driver goes down and you need parts to fix it like Right Now.

If you can manage to wait for Santa FedEx, several vendors on here have stellar customer service reputations, AFAIK including all the ones mentioned above.

Agreed on the big box store stuff. Cheap Chinese junk in most cases. Ok if you’re stranded in their parking lot, but get it swapped out asap as many of their parts don’t exactly have a reputation for longevity.

Hope this helps. Good luck going forward.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts