Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,547 Posts
My only problem with the def pump at truck stops is I'd have to drive 30-45 minutes each way to use it. So I just buy it from the jug at my local feed store. Off band stuff works fine and is cheaper then the premium stuff

·
Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
16,063 Posts
It’s what the Semi’s are using to get DEF…

I think you’ll be just fine using it.

Just my $0.02
Exactly.....
You mean the $160k to $180k rigs? If it’s good enough for them....it’s perfect for our little RAM / Cummins trucks.

My previous 2018 RAM 4500 had nothing but bulk DEF at the pump it’s entire life through 474k miles.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Def at the pump isn’t readily available in my area but I have filled a handful of times while on vacation with the camper in tow. While super convenient and thinking this is what the big trucks are running it’s got to be ok right.
Of those handful of times using the pump def I’ve had 2 issues after the fact. First time was just after pulling into Salt lake area I get the service def system message. We were goi
G to be in that area for a couple of days and it was late so I figured I’d deal with it in the morning. Next day get up message is gone and truck is fine for the rest of the trip. Weird but ok.
Next time it happens I topped of the tank in Cedar city headed north towards SLC. Roughly 50 miles up the road get the service def system/see dealer 150 mile count down starts… I’m 180 miles from my destination.
Just outside of SLC I stop for fuel and to start calling dealers to see if anyone can help.
The first 4 dealers I call and explain my situation on vacation, wife, kids, dog, trailer they say drop it off we can look at it in about 3 weeks. Last dealer I called Larry H Miller CJDR of Provo says come by and we’ll see what we can do for you right now but there’s a good chance you’ll need a part and that could take up to 3 weeks to get. At least they’re willing to look at it right now. Awsome guys over there.
Upon arrival they have a tech plugged into my truck in about 15 minutes. Finds a code for poor quality def/sensor out of range.
The tech informed me there is a flash update to make that sensor not so sensitive to the quality. A hour later away I go back on vacation and they didn’t charge me a dime nor would they guys accept any gratuity from me.
Moral of my long winded story even though my truck is no longer so sensitive to the quality for me personally pump def probably won’t be going in my truck anymore.
This is my opinion and has been my experience.

·
Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
16,063 Posts

·
Premium Member
WV Ridge Runner
166 Posts
Luckily, in my area I have several gas stations/truck stops that have def pumps. Also in my travels I’ve found locations with def pumps, I have yet to buy a box of def for my truck. Thankfully I’ve not had any problems. @Eric-07 sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I’ve tried to steer clear of the mom & pop places that don’t get much diesel truck traffic when purchasing diesel fuel and def.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts