Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New 2014 3500.

What brand of DEF is everyone using ??

Of course, Ram will only recommend their product at $28.00 per jug.
Cummins recommends Fleetgard at $16.00 per jug.

Air 1 seems to be reasonably priced. Called them and asked if their fluid was approved by Ram and they would only say I should call Dodge.
Getting the big run around from these guys for sure.

What other brands work well in these engines?

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
640 Posts
New 2014 3500.

What brand of DEF is everyone using ??

Of course, Ram will only recommend their product at $28.00 per jug.
Cummins recommends Fleetgard at $16.00 per jug.

Air 1 seems to be reasonably priced. Called them and asked if their fluid was approved by Ram and they would only say I should call Dodge.
Getting the big run around from these guys for sure.

What other brands work well in these engines?

Thanks for any information.
Any DEF will work as long as it meets the ISO standard. The ISO number is printed on the labels of DEF and can be found in your manual. Some fueling stations sell it at the pump for around $2 or so per gallon. I buy mine locally at $11.99 per 2 1/2 gallon jug (no DEF pumps).

No need to stock up on the stuff as it has a shelf life of around a year depending on storage temperature.

·
VP Moderator
12,068 Posts
Yea, don't stockpile.

·
Registered
374 Posts
In 1 year I have only bought two 2.5 Gal jugs. The rest have been from the Pilots pumps and never ever had a problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just did the first DEF top off at about 1500 miles. It took 2.5 gal and I used Peak from Walmart for about $12.

When I bought the truck the dealer recommended I find a small jug and keep it in the truck for emergencies. Does anyone do that? First, I can't find a 1/2 gallon size of DEF and second, I can't imagine I'll ever be more than 150 miles away from a truck stop.

-Vic

·
Registered
374 Posts
Unless you are way out in the boonies and have no access to anything, then I would assume you would run out of fuel, you do not need to keep DEF in case of an emergency. Every major truck stop seems to have DEF pumps now and even sell it by the jug, as a lot of other places do. Since there is a shelf life anyway don't bother. I thought the same thing at first and found out quick I didn't need to do that. Now, with that said, if you feel you must run the truck until the DEF is gone completely for some reason, and can't find a place to buy it immediately, then yes carry a jug with you. But, you are not going to do that anyway.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I purchased Peak from autozone for like 6$ a gallon. My plan has been to add the gallon once im a bit below the 3/4 mark on the gauge, as the manual states that two gallons is required from half tank. Might as well keep it full and buy in small quantities.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So I was thinking about this today at work (slow day). If it does have a shelf life, maybe I should run the DEF tank a little lower before I refill next time, so I use up all of the 'old' stuff?

I'll see how fast this tank goes. It dropped really fast the first 400 miles I had the truck, then really tapered off. Doesn't look like the needle has moved in the last 500 miles since refilling.

-Vic

·
Registered
374 Posts
So I was thinking about this today at work (slow day). If it does have a shelf life, maybe I should run the DEF tank a little lower before I refill next time, so I use up all of the 'old' stuff?

I'll see how fast this tank goes. It dropped really fast the first 400 miles I had the truck, then really tapered off. Doesn't look like the needle has moved in the last 500 miles since refilling.

-Vic
Probably not a bad idea once in a while. I did that a couple of months ago on a long trip, and let it get all the way down to the red zone, but didn't receive a message yet. Didn't really keep track of the amount of miles, but it was a bunch. Since this was the first time I did this, I bought a 2.5 gal jug just in case I needed it really quickly and wasn't close to a truck stop. By then we stopped for the night at the RV park. I didn't want to let it get lower so I went ahead and put in the 2.5 gal jug. The next morning when I fueled up I also topped up the DEF and it took another 2 gal. So, I had 1 gal left in the tank when the gauge registered to the red zone.

The factory doesn't fill the DEF tank all the way up, but it will register full on the gauge. That is why when you first start driving the truck the gauge will start moving quickly. When you top it off, it could take 1K miles before the gauge starts moving. At least that was my experience. Although, the gauge will move more quickly when pulling a load.

·
Steers with the throttle
650 Posts
I have just under 15,000 miles on mine now and added my third 2.5 gallon jug yesterday. Each time I've waited till the gauge was near the red zone and only added one jug. This brings it up to indicated full, but I've never actually filled it to the top. Once I open the jug I want it all in with none sitting around open.

So it seems like about 2000 miles per gallon so far.

I'm concerned about winter and freezing the DEF tank. Can't remember the freezing point of DEF.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts