Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the def pump? Is it an easy task? I am weighing my options as mine just went out at 56000 miles and dealer says it is not covered.
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone replaced the def pump? Is it an easy task? I am weighing my options as mine just went out at 56000 miles and dealer says it is not covered.
Thanks
I have a 2016 2500 Tradesman

·
Registered
772 Posts
Thanks
May still be under the emissions warranty, def system is emissions. Some states go 8 yrs and 80k miles on emission system. Not all dealers are as truthful as we hope.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks
Mine failed just under 80k and I fought both the dealership and FCA about the 8 yr 80k warranty. FCA offered to cover half the part and no labor. The part is $1900 plus another two hours labor, roughly $165 per hour, plus sales tax(6.5%)and shop supplies(9%.) Out the door it was going to cost over $2500 for a pump that only will fail again. I deleted and tuned the truck for $2100 and don’t regret it at all.

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
Mine failed just under 80k and I fought both the dealership and FCA about the 8 yr 80k warranty. FCA offered to cover half the part and no labor. The part is $1900 plus another two hours labor, roughly $165 per hour, plus sales tax(6.5%)and shop supplies(9%.) Out the door it was going to cost over $2500 for a pump that only will fail again. I deleted and tuned the truck for $2100 and don’t regret it at all.
What makes you think the pump will fail again?

They don't go out very often, mine is original at 5.5 years and 529K miles.

And, you can find them outside a dealer parts counter for way less than 1900.

·
Registered
772 Posts
AFAIK, DEF pump is on a 50K miles warranty, things like the DPF are 80K.
Looking at my California emissions warranty and it includes “ Urea tank assembly’ up to 7 yrs or 70 k, other parts are covered up to 8 and 80k

·
Registered
772 Posts

Looking at my California emissions warranty and it includes “ Urea tank assembly’ up to 7 yrs or 70 k, other parts are covered up to 8 and 80k View attachment 907766
Some states (Not many) follow Cal. Emissions , depends on where the truck was purchased or where delivery is taken.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Some states (Not many) follow Cal. Emissions , depends on where the truck was purchased or where delivery is taken.
found the other states, Massachusetts,Maine, & Vermont.

·
Registered
14 Posts

My logic that it will fail again is based on all the horror stories I’ve read here and other places on the trusty Google. Delete or don’t delete, to each his own.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

You're an unusual case, Ltng. Your truck gets driven a lot. Really a lot. The DEF in your tank doesn't stay there for very long.

Nothing has time to crystalize or clog up. The injector is constantly in use and doesn't have the time to clog.

You go through so much DEF, it never has a chance to go bad and the tank never has a chance to get funky.

Know how many people drive their 2500's or 3500's like you do? About 1/10th of 1%

For the rest of us, DEF is Satanic.

And those of us that live in hot, I mean really hot, climates that don't drive a lot? It's absurd.

I'm not blaming FCA, I blame an uncaring, unprincipled, runaway bureacracy that doesn't like diesels at all. Under any circumstances, for any reason.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Not a terribly hard install, DEF tank comes out and pump assembly goes in from the top.
Standard cabs are a bit different. DEF tank is under the drivers seat.
Haven't done it but I'm pretty sure you can get the pump out from the bottom without removing the tank. There's a bottom access panel in the metal frame around the tank. When you remove that access panel there's the bottom of the plastic DEF tank with pump bolted into it right there. Gino's garage has the diagrams showing the difference between Standard cab DEF tanks and the others.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks
How do you know it’s failed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
Standard cabs are a bit different. DEF tank is under the drivers seat.
Haven't done it but I'm pretty sure you can get the pump out from the bottom without removing the tank. There's a bottom access panel in the metal frame around the tank. When you remove that access panel there's the bottom of the plastic DEF tank with pump bolted into it right there. Gino's garage has the diagrams showing the difference between Standard cab DEF tanks and the others.
Ok, you're right, the only one I've ever had apart was on a ford.

Diagram of the pump and tank assembly. Looks like it's even easier than I thought then.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sorry to hear the problem. If your near MN, ill give ya mine. I don't use it. Its only got 36,000 on it. Mine has been deleted going on 60,000 miles, no problems, yet, and this year is break even time for the cost, and I had it done $3,500. Cost is better mpg's and no def.
Having the def tank on the 2 door sucks, as I have the 28 gallon fuel tank because of the stupped def tank, that is just taking up space now. Wish someone would invent a quick kit to turn it into an extra fuel tank. OR, clean it really good and fill it with grampas home brew.
( party at the white tradesman )

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sorry to hear the problem. If your near MN, ill give ya mine. I don't use it. Its only got 36,000 on it. Mine has been deleted going on 60,000 miles, no problems, yet, and this year is break even time for the cost, and I had it done $3,500. Cost is better mpg's and no def.
Having the def tank on the 2 door sucks, as I have the 28 gallon fuel tank because of the stupped def tank, that is just taking up space now. Wish someone would invent a quick kit to turn it into an extra fuel tank. OR, clean it really good and fill it with grampas home brew.
( party at the white tradesman )
How much better fuel economy are you now getting with it deleted?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Its been 60,000 miles deleted so stock not towing was 14 town, or less, and best around 18 highway. Now, worst not towing solid in town is an easy 16 and up to 25 highway. Where I am at now for the summer, its flat, and 55-60mph roads, so 58 in a 55 and 63 in a 60, gets great miledge. Its mainly a grocery getter. Towing a lousy 7,500-8,000 Travel trailer I get 15 with the wind and can get down to 8 against the wind, and that sucks with the 28 gallon tank. Max towing speed 72mph. Don't know what it was towing stock.
My evic is 2mpg's high, empty, so if it sais im getting 22, im getting 20 hand calculated. Towing its about right on. Not sure what def costs, but should be break even cost this year.
I just got a solid 23, filled up yesterday, and that's with kicking it in the pants a few times.
Spent the winter in TX, all 5 miles or less short trips, don't know how the batteries put up with me, not getting a good charge time. So that was 16-17 all stop and go.
Its an interesting trans tune, as I need to hit 50mph to get it to go into 5th, and 62 to get it to go into 6th but then can slow down to 50 and it will stay in 6th.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Its been 60,000 miles deleted so stock not towing was 14 town, or less, and best around 18 highway. Now, worst not towing solid in town is an easy 16 and up to 25 highway. Where I am at now for the summer, its flat, and 55-60mph roads, so 58 in a 55 and 63 in a 60, gets great miledge. Its mainly a grocery getter. Towing a lousy 7,500-8,000 Travel trailer I get 15 with the wind and can get down to 8 against the wind, and that sucks with the 28 gallon tank. Max towing speed 72mph. Don't know what it was towing stock.
My evic is 2mpg's high, empty, so if it sais im getting 22, im getting 20 hand calculated. Towing its about right on. Not sure what def costs, but should be break even cost this year.
I just got a solid 23, filled up yesterday, and that's with kicking it in the pants a few times.
Spent the winter in TX, all 5 miles or less short trips, don't know how the batteries put up with me, not getting a good charge time. So that was 16-17 all stop and go.
Its an interesting trans tune, as I need to hit 50mph to get it to go into 5th, and 62 to get it to go into 6th but then can slow down to 50 and it will stay in 6th.
You’ve gotten a hand-calculated 25mpg in some cases???

1 - 20 of 59 Posts