Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Happy Thanksgiving. I have a question regarding the DEF Pumps at the Diesel Stations. Does the DEF Pump stop pumping when the DEF reaches the fill point like with diesel fuel pumps. Also, what is the normal price to fill the DEF Tank in the Ram 3500 pick up trucks?

I currently have a 2011 Ram 3500 Laramie as you know does not need DEF. My 3500 runs well, no complaints. In case I get another 3500 that requires DEF just wanted some feedback.

Thanks
Topdog

Registered
Hello All,

Happy Thanksgiving. I have a question regarding the DEF Pumps at the Diesel Stations. Does the DEF Pump stop pumping when the DEF reaches the fill point like with diesel fuel pumps. Also, what is the normal price to fill the DEF Tank in the Ram 3500 pick up trucks?

I currently have a 2011 Ram 3500 Laramie as you know does not need DEF. My 3500 runs well, no complaints. In case I get another 3500 that requires DEF just wanted some feedback.

Thanks
Topdog
I believe it will shut off at the truck stops just as the fuel, but I have never filled from the diesel pumps at truck stops so that may be wrong.

As for price... Nothing is normal right now 馃槈

I buy DEF from Walmart for 8 bucks for 2.5 gallons.... But maybe even that had changed recently.

Registered
DEF at the pump is roughly the same price per gallon as fuel. Yes it will click off just like fuel.

Reactions: 10%more

Registered
2017 ram 2500 tradesman 4x4 g56 ext cab
Clicks off just like fuel
Nozzle fits tight but will fit just fine

fresher is better no worries about how old it is at the pump.Jugs have dates but some are coded. Walmart super tech usually a plain date

I prefer the def pumps myself, you might have to do another separate transaction at the def pump island or go inside for them to activate it.Some pumps at cardlocks have def and diesel at the same pump now and it should prompt you with a question when you use your card if you want def or reefer etc

reefer is just dyed diesel.

Registered
I've only bought DEF from a store once, the rest from the DEF nozzle at the pump at truck stops. Like others have said, yes it shuts off like a diesel/gas nozzle. I think I paid $2.499/gallon last time I filled the DEF tank.

Registered
Clicks off just like fuel
Nozzle fits tight but will fit just fine

fresher is better no worries about how old it is at the pump.Jugs have dates but some are coded. Walmart super tech usually a plain date

I prefer the def pumps myself, you might have to do another separate transaction at the def pump island or go inside for them to activate it.Some pumps at cardlocks have def and diesel at the same pump now and it should prompt you with a question when you use your card if you want def or reefer etc

reefer is just dyed diesel.
Only places around here selling DEF at the pump are truck stops which are not very convenient to go to for just DEF or Diesel for that matter.

I never worry about def in a jug being bad. It flys off the shelves pretty quick...it's not sitting for years with all the DEF Trucks on the road.
Def being "fresher" at the pump is a wives tale.

Registered
Only places around here selling DEF at the pump are truck stops which are not very convenient to go to for just DEF or Diesel for that matter.

I never worry about def in a jug being bad. It flys off the shelves pretty quick...it's not sitting for years with all the DEF Trucks on the road.
Def being "fresher" at the pump is a wives tale.
I suppose if you live away from truck stops, like in a big city that may be true. But if you live outside the city, and visit a truck stop that gets a fair amount of business, I would say that the OP has nothing to worry about. I'd be more concerned about getting older diesel from stations with low volume sales. DEF has a shelf life of a year. One way to check to see if it's "fresh" is to put a little in a clear container. If it looks like water (clear) it's good. If it's cloudy, it's bad.

If the truck doesn't get used enough in a year to use the DEF that is in the tank, maybe renting a diesel truck may be a less expensive option than purchasing one.......

Registered
If the truck doesn't get used enough in a year to use the DEF that is in the tank, maybe renting a diesel truck may be a less expensive option than purchasing one.......

We only have one truck stop in Tucson ..it's 15 min from me but I'm going to pass Walmart and 8 gas stations before I get to the TTT Truck Stop.

I have a friend who maybe puts 4K miles a year in his truck because he has take home truck from work. So far he hasn't had any DEF issues

Registered
I'd be more concerned about getting older diesel from stations with low volume sales.
What's wrong with "older diesel"? I have some that's about 12 years old now ad it still seems to be fine.

Registered
And if you live in a colder climate dont fill the DEF tank it has a better chance at freezing, i run one just at a time in the cold months so it does not go over 1/2 a tank i had a friend freeze his DEF and it took 3 days to thaw out in his heated garage

Registered
And if you live in a colder climate dont fill the DEF tank it has a better chance at freezing, i run one just at a time in the cold months so it does not go over 1/2 a tank i had a friend freeze his DEF and it took 3 days to thaw out in his heated garage
I wonder if Ram has designed these tanks for expansion under freezing conditions. I'ma surprised there is not a heater for the DEF tanks.

Registered
Yes separate. The DEF pump has what looks like a heating pad cut into finger strips inside to help melt the DEF. Runs off 12V. It took my dealer a couple days to melt a half full tank of DEF to replace the pump last December.

Reactions: sstoner911

Registered
Yup, had one freeze up completely, and there's no way that little built in heater could thaw a 5-gallon chunk if ice fast enough to not trigger a dire warning on the dash.

There's a reason that pickup was replaced with a 6.4.

Registered
2020 3500 HO 4x4 SRW CCLB
Another thing to consider is that overfilling the DEF tank can trigger a code as the ultrasonic level sensor needs air space to work properly. There's a TSB out for this.

Reactions: Electrojake

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Everyone for answering my DEF Questions. I am not totally familiar with all of the DEF things to know due to owning a 2011 Ram. I was actually also concerned about the nature of DEF in hot and freezing weather.

Thanks Again
Topdog

1 - 20 of 38 Posts