Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 cummins with 42,000 miles on it, now in the shop for the 4th time for DEF related problems. Check engine light comes on and a message displays check DEF system see dealer, then it will say 150 miles until speed limited to 5mph. Am I the only one having this many problems with the DEF system?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
There has to be a legal answer that will fix it. Dealer will figure it out for you, sooner or later they might throw the correct part at it :(

·
Registered
325 Posts
What kind of def are you using? If it's in jugs have you been checking date codes? What have they done the other 3 times the trucks been in?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I am not having def issues,,, i only have 3500 miles on my truck. It does not use much at all. Kinda surprised...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I've got a '14 with 42,000 miles, as well. Fortunately, I haven't had any def problems at all, so far. I had a couple CEL's for NoX sensor about a year ago, I cleared one myself and theater cleared on its own. I've only used terra Clair brand def in 2.5 gal jugs, since new. I don't completely fill during the winter months to allow room if it freezes.

Do you live in an very hot or cold climate? Store the extra def in the heat? I think there were some updates for the def dosing module(?) last year.

Hope they get it figured out for you soon.

Jeff.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
I have a 2014 cummins with 42,000 miles on it, now in the shop for the 4th time for DEF related problems. Check engine light comes on and a message displays check DEF system see dealer, then it will say 150 miles until speed limited to 5mph. Am I the only one having this many problems with the DEF system?
Cal FCA customer care and get them involved. There is a solution.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I could delete it, but would lose warranty. I live in SD so climate varies all the time. It doesn't use much def unless I'm pulling. But I'll pull my 30 ft enclosed snowmobile trailer 1600-2000 miles on one trip out west. I shouldn't have to be worried driving that far hoping that the check engine light doesn't come on and it go into limp mode. It ruined a trip this weekend and had to waste a half a day turning around and going back home to get my buddies duramax...

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Yea I could delete it, but would lose warranty. I live in SD so climate varies all the time. It doesn't use much def unless I'm pulling. But I'll pull my 30 ft enclosed snowmobile trailer 1600-2000 miles on one trip out west. I shouldn't have to be worried driving that far hoping that the check engine light doesn't come on and it go into limp mode. It ruined a trip this weekend and had to waste a half a day turning around and going back home to get my buddies duramax...
Get yourself a code reader that will clear codes, many times that's all that it takes to let you keep going.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Code reader will also atleast give you an idea of what to look up and possibly give the dealer the answer on how to fix it. Sometimes they need a little nudge in the right direction.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My dealer blamed my dpf issues on non mopar def, not cover under warranty to flush and clean the def injector at 20000, it makes me wonder why the truck went into limp mode all def is the same. Not gona deal with emisions gona delete Thursday sorry to rant just angry with the emissions on the trucks now

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
My dealer blamed my dpf issues on non mopar def, not cover under warranty to flush and clean the def injector at 20000, it makes me wonder why the truck went into limp mode all def is the same. Not gona deal with emisions gona delete Thursday sorry to rant just angry with the emissions on the trucks now
They blamed DPF issues on DEF???

They have nothing to do with each other, two separate systems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dealer blamed my dpf issues on non Mopar DEF and that it was not covered under warranty. Sounds familiar woodsrider77. They wanted 400 bucks to drain the def tank. I did it myself.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Did you guys show them your diesel supplement when they pulled that no warranty stuff on ya?

Diesel Exhaust
Fluid
MOPAR® Diesel Exhaust Fluid (API Certified) (DEF) or equivalent that has been API Certified to the ISO 22241 standard. Use of fluids not API Certified to ISO 22241 may result in system damage. You can receive assistance in locating DEF in the United States by calling 866-RAMINFO (866-726-4636). In Canada call 1–800–465–2001 (English) or 1–800–387–9983 (French)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had a '13 as a work truck. Put 130k on it in a year, never a single def problem. Another guy I worked with got a '13 at the same time and only put about 60k on his and had a lot of problems with the def system. The only difference between me driving more was I never let the def tank get below half. He would get his to empty all the time

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
That's crazy....,but not surprising. That's like blaming a fuel system problem on using non mopar fuel...

·
RACE KTM
966 Posts
A few months back, another member went through the "non-Mopar" DEF. It was a bunch of BS. I use bulk truck-stop DEF, as it's fresh. No problems.

Bulk DEF---2.80 a gallon. My dealer's Mopar DEF---15.00 a gallon.

** I will say, when towing our 44ft 5er, my truck goes through DEF faster than a frat party goes through beer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A soon as its out of warranty delete that . You will be much happier. You should keep everything they take off. I heard from a truck dealer that EPA is trying to get a law passed that you cant sell a vehicle that has been deleted.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
A soon as its out of warranty delete that . You will be much happier. You should keep everything they take off. I heard from a truck dealer that EPA is trying to get a law passed that you cant sell a vehicle that has been deleted.
Thats why when i traded my 11 in , it came with a bed full of parts. They reassemble all the parts i removed. .and returned all my parts they took off less 1 rear block off plate. .
I my case with my 16 i will drive it less than 10k a year ,,... what's that mean "clogged DEF Injector and crystallized fluid in the tank. I am not interested in having that issue k as others before me ...

1 - 20 of 142 Posts