Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, 2020 3500 Ram has a def problem. Keeps a saying I have incorrect def in the tank. And take it to the dealer for repair. What’s up?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Is it possible you got old DEF? I think that means the urea percentage is falling outside spec. It should be 32% I would try draining and refilling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps How do I fix the issue. Suction the def out ar disregard and drive till it quits calling me out?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesing, tool did not know they made a def measurement tool. Question, what happens if i disregard the alert. Will the truck go intp limp mode?

·
Registered
335 Posts
That I’m not sure about, I did away with def on my ram years ago after a string of headaches. I would assume it would go into limp mode at some point if the def quality was too low. It should give you a count down tho.

I thought alpha obd could not reset the “mileage countdown to limp mode”, isn’t that a dealer only code?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Interesing, tool did not know they made a def measurement tool. Question, what happens if i disregard the alert. Will the truck go intp limp mode?
It could go away, it could be intermittent or you could get the countdown. To avoid the headache with a dealer, if it were me I would siphon out what's in there and put fresh Mopar DEF in and keep the receipt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just dumped 1/2 a tank of ISO 22241 def on the ground from the tank and put in fresh ISO 22241 def. the gauge said empty but still have the message going to drive it @ 100 miles tomorrow to see if the message goes away or perhaps it will leave me on the side of the road Cussing, it at least I have two towing insurance policies in place …..

·
Registered
485 Posts
My guess is it has nothing to do with the DEF .. you probably have another emissions components failing ...go to OReillys and clear the code....I think their readers work on these newer trucks....see what codes may be in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What ever the dealer put in the truck prior to delivery. Bought the truck in March 2020 only have put 1979 miles on it so far.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
It might be overkill but I prefer using a refractometer to test DEF. I didn't have much luck using the floaty ball type testers. I never could get consistent results. A refractomer gives precise and consistent results. Costs a lot more, though.

Refractometer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts