Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and new to diesel ownership..I have a 2020 ram 2500 and it seems like I'm using a lot of DEF fluid I'm going through about a gal every 5 to 600 miles. I do alot of highway driving doing 75 to 80mph and I rarely tow my camper. So my question is does this sound like normal usage or does it seem high? I currently have about 4000 miles on the truck thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and new to diesel ownership..I have a 2020 ram 2500 and it seems like I'm using a lot of DEF fluid I'm going through about a gal every 5 to 600 miles. I do alot of highway driving doing 75 to 80mph and I rarely tow my camper. So my question is does this sound like normal usage or does it seem high? I currently have about 4000 miles on the truck thanks in advance for your help
Nope, that’s fairly normal with the 2019+ models—even after the ECM recall update they did. There’s no work around other than deleting it, which I don’t recommend before power train warranty is over at 100k miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, that’s fairly normal with the 2019+ models—even after the ECM recall update they did. There’s no work around other than deleting it, which I don’t recommend before power train warranty is over at 100k miles.
Thank you!

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
If it makes you feel better, that's almost twice the DEF mileage my '17 is getting.
But then again, I have no idea what it would be if it wasn't towing something.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If it makes you feel better, that's almost twice the DEF mileage my '17 is getting.
But then again, I have no idea what it would be if it wasn't towing something.
Why’s your 17 mileage so low when unloaded? I’d get about 7k miles per tank of DEF in my 18 Laramie 4x4

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
I don't know what kind of DEF mileage (or regular mileage) it would get unloaded, or more specifically, not towing something. It was bought to tow, and that's what it's used for.

Also, you'll have to count it in mpg to be meaningful. Mine has a 9-gallon tank, yours is 5 I think.
After some 17,000 miles, now it has enough DEF fill-ups (from boxes) that I could add it all up and get a somewhat true number, but I haven't done that yet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
On my ‘18 I didn’t add any DEF until 7500 miles. I add 2.5 gallons every 5000 miles. I just towed my 16k# horse trailer to New Mexico and back, about 2000 miles total and the DEF is at about 5/8 tank. Filled up before I left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't know what kind of DEF mileage (or regular mileage) it would get unloaded, or more specifically, not towing something. It was bought to tow, and that's what it's used for.

Also, you'll have to count it in mpg to be meaningful. Mine has a 9-gallon tank, yours is 5 I think.
After some 17,000 miles, now it has enough DEF fill-ups (from boxes) that I could add it all up and get a somewhat true number, but I haven't done that yet.
Ohh you have the CC model then. Yes, mine is somewhere around 5gal.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I’m aware but everyone has the same gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
I get about the same on my 2019. It definitely drinks more DEF than my 2013 did. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought def usage was abnormally high when we first bought the truck. I even complained to the dealership, but they were unwilling to look at the truck. I feel like usage has been dropping as we put more miles on the truck, but we rarely drive her, so it could be all in my head...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I thought def usage was abnormally high when we first bought the truck. I even complained to the dealership, but they were unwilling to look at the truck. I feel like usage has been dropping as we put more miles on the truck, but we rarely drive her, so it could be all in my head...
Definitely in your head

·
Registered
266 Posts
Don't calculate your DEF consumption based on distance. It is proportional to fuel used and if your DEF consumption is anywhere south of five percent of fuel burned, you're in the money.

·
Registered
23 Posts
reading this makes me curios to why the newer trucks burn so much def. I can typically get about 10,000 miles if no heavy towing on a full tank of DEF , so that is about a gallon every 2,000 miles. If i am towing the boat on a long trip to the keys or something the usage goes up ofcourse, but mine just barely sips the stuff with no load.

·
Registered
125 Posts
reading this makes me curios to why the newer trucks burn so much def. I can typically get about 10,000 miles if no heavy towing on a full tank of DEF , so that is about a gallon every 2,000 miles. If i am towing the boat on a long trip to the keys or something the usage goes up ofcourse, but mine just barely sips the stuff with no load.
Simple: Chrysler changed the programming and the 2019 and newer models. My guess as to why is that they need it to comply with some new emissions standard. It is what it is.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You do know that the gauge's needle doesn't even start to move until about 1/2 tank, right?
I just made a non-towing 2000 mile trip and my DEF gauge gradually reduced. It did not wait to move until about 1/2 tank. I also monitored the DEF tank level with my Edge CTS3. The CTS3 consistently showed less than the DEF gauge. When the gauge was at 1/2 the CTS3 showed 44%.

Like the original post, I'm also using a gal every 5-600 miles.

Reactions: Huskerz1

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Simple: Chrysler changed the programming and the 2019 and newer models. My guess as to why is that they need it to comply with some new emissions standard. It is what it is.
GM owners are complaining about it as well. I don't follow Ford too close to know what they're whining about.

·
Registered
181 Posts
DEF consumption is right around 3% of fuel burned in most cases on the new trucks. Even a new X15 Cummins uses right around 3% in the new engines. I read somewhere that the newer programming puts less EGR through the engine and uses more DEF to clean the exhaust system. I wish I could find a link, but I can't.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts