Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my truck for business and, it is my only 4-wheeled vehicle. The truck can't sit, and I am not buying a EV anytime soon, probably never! So, I have started stocking up on Blue DEF with the oncoming shortage of eurea (they did it with toilet paper, I'll do it with DEF!). I have seen posts that claim a 50/50 mixture of DEF and distilled water works, and does not create any issues. I'm wondering what everyone else is doing to prepare for the certain shortages and, skyrocketing prices that will come with it.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hoarders are part of the problem...also, TP doesn't have a shelf life...also...don't smoke machines run eurea?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Diluting the DEF with distilled water is supposed to cut down on a lot of DEF injector issues as well. Supposedly doesn't cause as much crusting as straight DEF. I wouldn't be afraid to mix some in to extend my DEF.

·
Registered
2004 2500 555/5600 RWD QC/LB
556 Posts
Keep the DEF stored cool & dark.

I used to haul it by the tanker-load for one of the larger private label companies (many names on product shipped out).

It’s simple stuff. No heat, no UV from sitting out in sun will help preserve it.

In turn: the higher your Average MPH (odometer miles divided by engine hours) the lower your consumption should be, generally. (Above 30-MPH).

High idle time and low or no load operation will bring consumption up. (Think of it as running rich while cold).

Any trips under 45-miles are considered short trips and call for severe maintenance schedule as truck never gets fully warmed up (engine oil temp, rear axle oil, greases, tires, etc).

A truck is to be worked. Not used as an empty-bed commuter toy. DEF consumption will mirror design parameters.

Cut the number of cold starts by combining trips. Get truck past the warm-up period more often, and cut total annual miles thereby.

In the Kenworth my DEF consumption is lowest with lowest idle time and highest number of engine hours at a steady-state speed (under 65) with a light to medium load (20-35k) in a 36k rig where I gross up to almost 70k (80k limit).

Running the highway too fast is a DEF penalty.

The times one has a maximum load in difficult terrain it’s an expectation that high HP Demand will burn some extra DEF. But it’s nowhere near as bad as poor operational habits.

·
Registered
2022 Ram 2500
1 Posts
If you’re hoarding, Walmart store brand DEF is the cheapest. I keep three 2.5 gal containers at all times. Maybe I’ll up that to 5?

Walmart brand (Super Tech) is $11.38 for 2.5 gal. Compare to BlueDEF at $16.30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
What I'm thinking is I'm extremely happy I got rid of my garbage 4th gens.
At least you still have the option to...you know...do the thing with the no-no parts...

·
Vendor
14,920 Posts
People reacting to rumors again.

·
2,489 Posts
People reacting to rumors again.
The shortages are coming. It is all planned. 10000 head of cattle just mysteriously died in Kansas. More food processing plants in North America have burned down in the last 3 months than the last 20 years.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
2 is a good start. Play it safe with 3. Hoarding starts at 4. :cool:
Good to know. Seems I have some room to grow since I reduced my number of Cummins engines owned to 3.

As with anything fun, the formula for ENOUGH is: X + 1 = ENOUGH, where X = current quantity owned... ;)

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I’m sure a lot of us remember when they said how cheap DEF was going to be…. til big petroleum hijacked it. I worked at an Az. Power plant for several years and we got all the industry new on the intranet. The neighboring RedHawks NG plant was playing with making biodiesel in tubes of algae and water and feeding it with their CO2 emissions. They said they could make enough for the entire country at~$1.25/gallon but I bet big petroleum took care of that, too.

·
Vendor
14,920 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts