Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing to increase my tranny fluid capacity as my trans heats up quickly under load in start/stop situations. I have seen most deep sump pans costing over 200, but found this one on ebay for under 100. From what I read the 47re/rh (pickups a 98 not sure which it is) falls under the "618" that the listing shows. Any idea if this will be ok on my truck? Any idea how much more capacity it will add?
eBay Motors: DERALE TRANSMISSION PAN COOLERS?DODGE 518/618/727-DEEP (item 250321243157 end time Apr-05-09 14:23:56 PDT)
thanks

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Think the cheaper price is because the ebay pan is stamped steel.
The higher priced ones are cast aluminum.
Aluminum transfers heat better than steel but don't know how much better it would be since the steel pan has the cooling tubes.
The ebay pan doesn't mention a drain plug, most of the pricier ones have one.
The ebay pan looks sort of tinny (thin cheap steel) to me.

My Mag-Hytec double deep pan only holds about 1.5 quarts more than stock but the cooling fins and aluminum construction cool quite a bit.
The Mag-Hytech also uses a reusable o-ring instead of a gasket that you have to replace every time.
Mag-Hytech covers and pans are truly a work of art, really cool to look at the excellent machining.
I've always believed you get what you pay for (to a point!)
Mag-Hytec Deep Transmission Pan (1994 - 2007 Dodge Cummins 5.9)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would it be better to add an additional storage tank? I fabricated one from 4" pipe that holds about a gallon. I planned on mounting it to the drivers side of the trans inside the cross member on the back of the trans. however i need to figure where to cut the lines and also whether 1-way valves would be needed so the trans doesn't overfill. kinda thought the deep pan would be much easier.

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I got an ATS deep pan and it holds 5 quarts over stock. It looks good and has a magnetic drain plug and has a tapped plug for tranny temp sensor to go in. Awesome piece.:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts