Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to decide on a clutch for my 99 nv5600. I swapped the trans from a 2002 3500. (1 3/8 input) I really want a stock feel but I am planning on a few mods in the future and want to make sure the truck clutch is prepared for it. Right now I run an edge comp stacked with a smarty, aem intake and 4" straight piped exhaust. Future plans are 100hp injectors and possibly ditch the smarty, (not sure yet) and do the he351ve swap with the fleece controller. I want a clutch that will hold that. I do mostly in town driving. Some weekends during the summer it gets a 24ft enclosed trailer hooked with a 2500lb car in it so it doesn't have to be a really aggressive clutch. I would love to put a stock clutch in it if it would hold fine, obviously not low rpm lugging. The other option I was considering was the south bend single disk 400hp 800lb/ft clutch if the stock won't hold, does that feel pretty close to stock? I am replacing hydraulics as well when I change. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
off road that would be awesome! and thanks guys! I really want to stick with a single disk... I've installed a dual disk in a g56 truck and i personally thought it ruined any bit of drivability that it had... it was terrible... luckily that truck got stolen and then sold at copart lol

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,650 Posts
I'm running 150hp injectors and edge juice and I'm over 400hp. So you will be too. I have a dual disk and as far as shifting its not bad at all. My pedal is really heavy only because of the heavy pressure plate in it. You don't have to get a dual disk with one that heavy

·
Registered
303 Posts
the stock clutch on the later nv5600 models with 1 and 3/8 shaft is not that bad ive towed 30 000 Lbs with it not any huge power upgrades. It never slipped on me

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pedal effort really isn't that big of a deal to me.. Its more of how it engages. What I don't want is the feel of a pucked clutch or a dual disk... The chattering and grabbing/tugging feeling wouldn't be so nice around town lol

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,650 Posts
Honestly the 3250 dual disk has pretty smooth engagement. My 3800 is pretty rough but it's still manageable.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well if i don't have to go dual disk I won't... if I towed with this truck a lot it would be a different story but this is just the "daily" I guess. the 1 ton does most of the towing lol and that truck is bone stock with some 50's. I would like to put an edge comp or something on that truck though. Its a turd with just the injectors haha

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
As said the 3250-6 south bend clutch has a nice near smooth engagement. It is a organic clutch against the p plate and flywheel.... This feels like a stock clutch on engagement, only real difference is that it is heavier. The biggest benefit is the organic petals, it bites harder on them once engaged.

Idk what clutch you had in the g56, but I would definately install a 3850-6 again in another truck.... Mine I put in when it was mostly stock.... And it handled similar to the oem clutch I took out.....

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
well if i don't have to go dual disk I won't... if I towed with this truck a lot it would be a different story but this is just the "daily" I guess. the 1 ton does most of the towing lol and that truck is bone stock with some 50's. I would like to put an edge comp or something on that truck though. Its a turd with just the injectors haha
Ditto on my '98.5. I had Mach 1.6 injectors. Hot running,smoky toad. An Edge EZ and a boost elbow/fooler lit it up bigtime and cooled it down.

·
Registered
67 Posts
me (with a NV4500) and my 2 brothers (with NV5600's) are all running a single disk with ceramic pucks on one side (12 pucks i think) and a full face kevlar on the other and we all love it!
my oldest brother is pusing 500hp in his, and pulls a massive trailer all the time with no issues, and the feel about like stock.. we got them at a local clutch shop (KY clutch)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Anyone have any insight on the "ky clutch" ?
My nv4500 is needing one soon.......choices,choices,choices
Turned the EZ up to 3 the other day and slipped the factory one pretty good:spank:

·
Cummins Nut
1,531 Posts
I have a dual disc organic from valair that is really nice in every way except shifting speed. For that reason, I will likely go back to a single next time.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
I have a dual disc organic from valair that is really nice in every way except shifting speed. For that reason, I will likely go back to a single next time.
South bend isn't great for racing either, but I refuse to go backwards..... I do not want slipping issues.... So I live with the slight delay in shift speed.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts