Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone has an idea on how to dechrome a factory grill. I want to paint it. I was told use some brake fluid on it to dechrome it, but I wonder if that would be hard to clean off oily residue afterwards, any advice would be appreciated.

·
Rescue Tower
10,810 Posts
If the chrome is still in good shape with no peeling or bubbling I would leave it. De-grease, scuff with grey scotchbrite, de-grease, self etching primer, de-grease, then primer, 800 grit wet sand, de-grease, sealer, base coat, clear coat.

I doubt brake fluid will release the bond to remove chrome. It works well removing paint from plastic, but that's not what were dealing with here. Bond is different.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the reason I am painting it, is because the chrome is pealing, if it wasnt I was going to tint the chrome, so it was a shinny black, but since its pealing and such I was gonna paint it black.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm wanting to do my grill to on my 04 black, I also am wondering if anyone has seen or done there chrome bumpers black and if they are worth doing and look good, my truck is the charcoal grey color my wheels and taillights are already blacked out if anyone had suggestions please let me know thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wish I had a picture but a few years ago my buddy had a Dakota that we black tinted the rims and the chrome grill. it looked sharp his was charcoal as well, it gave the truck almost a nice two tone feature.

·
Rescue Tower
10,810 Posts
You can try the brake fluid. Don't have much to loose at this point. It won't hurt the plastic, so worst case you make a mess.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
On an 01 we had the chrome was bubbled pretty bad in a few spots. I was able to peel the chrome off but it was a PITA. Came off in small pieces..watch out too, that stuff is sharp!:thumbup:

·
Registered
11,477 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an 03 that had one spot of chrome peeling, and I had read the articles about using propane torch heat to release the coating from the plastic. About 3 hours into the process, I realized it would take way too long to go that route. I ended going down to my local parts house, and buying a new aftermarket black grill for $45, a pint of Dupont base in my color, and just painting the new one. You can paint chrome if done right, but if it's already peeling, just buy a bare grill.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts