Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there, i have a 2007.5 ram 2500 with a 4" superlift and currently running 35". i wanted to change the lift from a 4" to 6" and to fit 37" tires on it. are there any good 6" lift kits that are cheap, (around 1.2k-1.5K) and what, if any are there parts that need to be replaced or better parts, ie. shocks etc.. any info is much appreciated.

·
Unreconstructed
6,113 Posts
I have been running a 6" Fabtech lift for 36,000 miles or so.....Working great so far, other than I had the stem-top on one of the front shocks break a while back. I beat on my truck pretty hard, so it was justifiably broke. Under most normal circumstances nothing should break.

If you want a good kit, look into Carli, KORE, or Thuren.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My truck came with a 6" Superlift. It's ok but wouldn't be my choice for a lift. Ride is very stiff. I drive on very rough roads and so far all the components are holding up just fine so can't complain about that. I believe they are pretty inexpensive kits as well.
It really comes down to what you are expecting from your lift. If you want good ride then invest in a quality kit. If your just going for looks then there's several kits that are reasonably priced. Fabtech makes a decent kit which is probably one of the best "middle of the road" setups.
No offence AMM. Fabtech is good quality for the price. Better than my POS Superlift IMO :hehe:

Reactions: Alabama Mud Machine

·
Registered
492 Posts
If u want the truck to ride decent I would get the 6 inch top gun customz short arm kit. It comes with progressive rate coils and bilstein 5100 shocks for I think $ 1099, that is about as good as your going to get it to ride with short arms. If you want the truck to ride really good get the 6 inch tgc long arm kit, its $1899..

·
That Truck Guy
6,375 Posts
It will be hard to get a 6" short arm kit to ride great but the best that is out there is the 6" Pure Performance kit. With a set of Bilstein 5100's it should be pretty close to your budget.

·
Unreconstructed
6,113 Posts
My truck came with a 6" Superlift. It's ok but wouldn't be my choice for a lift. Ride is very stiff. I drive on very rough roads and so far all the components are holding up just fine so can't complain about that. I believe they are pretty inexpensive kits as well.
It really comes down to what you are expecting from your lift. If you want good ride then invest in a quality kit. If your just going for looks then there's several kits that are reasonably priced. Fabtech makes a decent kit which is probably one of the best "middle of the road" setups.
No offence AMM. Fabtech is good quality for the price. Better than my POS Superlift IMO :hehe:
Oh, I'm no longer a Fabtech advocate after how they treated me with the shock issue. I'll never be buying another Fabtech lift as long as I live. The shock was under warranty, and they pretty much told me to f*** off, in a polite way. I was, and still am, infuriated with them. From now on, I will be running either pieced-together setups from good mfg's, or Carli, KORE, or Thuren...And possibly TGC (Top Gun Customs). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Talk to George.....he has the good stuff

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm gonna change mine out for the TGC 6" long arm Black Ops kit I think. Looks like a great kit and a very decent price. I'm a little surprised they used the "black ops" name on it though with Black Ops Diesel making such quality products it's kind of a slap in the face for him. Not that TGC isn't quality but they could be more original IMO
AMM, I can't believe fabtech is treating you like that. What a bunch of clowns.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Also consider Pure Performance and their kits. TGC's Black OPs shocks are of their own desgin and valving, but Pure looks to have identical LOOKING shocks from the body and shaft design however i'm not sure of the internal differences. Either way, they look to be on par price wise with TGC's Black OPs shocks, which is about 700 for all 4, i'm sure cheaper in a kit.

To run a 37" tire, I agree with all here who have already said you need the long arms. Pure's are one of the better constructed arms i've seen as they are adjustable and have grease ports on them. Not trying to push their product as I've never ever owned anything of theirs, just stating some other stuff I've noted from my research in building my own kit over the last month.

·
Unreconstructed
6,113 Posts
I'm gonna change mine out for the TGC 6" long arm Black Ops kit I think. Looks like a great kit and a very decent price. I'm a little surprised they used the "black ops" name on it though with Black Ops Diesel making such quality products it's kind of a slap in the face for him. Not that TGC isn't quality but they could be more original IMO
AMM, I can't believe fabtech is treating you like that. What a bunch of clowns.
Well, I can assure you that they won't have the opportunity to do it again. :thumbsup:

Fox 2.0 remote resi's (just front for now....No extra money), some Carli or Thuren 6" soft-ride coils, and later some custom rear spring packs and more Fox resivoirs in the back and a long-arm kit for the front. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Both the tgc and the pp are great kits u really cant go wrong with either. And wow that black ops kit does look sick!!

·
Unreconstructed
6,113 Posts
Or debating just spending the scratch on this: 8" 08-09 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 4x4 Long Arm Lift Kit -Diesel @Top Gun Customz and new tires. I didn't want to spend all my money, but if it's something that i won't have to replace soon, it will be a better investment than this Fabtech short-arm lift I have on mine right now. Lord knows it will ride 10x better being a long-arm kit, plus with this kit I could clear 40's with no problem.

I also assume that they differentiate the '08-09, from the '03-'07 lift for the 68RFE tranny bracket, which is different than the 48RE bracket for the 5.9 trucks.....Is this correct? And that since most 6.7's are from '08 and up, this included my truck in the '08 & up category event hough it is an '07, correct? Normally I would just order it as '08 & up, but just wanted to verify with some of yall who have experience with TGC, since I don't know how they label their lifts.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Or debating just spending the scratch on this: 8" 08-09 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 4x4 Long Arm Lift Kit -Diesel @Top Gun Customz and new tires. I didn't want to spend all my money, but if it's something that i won't have to replace soon, it will be a better investment than this Fabtech short-arm lift I have on mine right now. Lord knows it will ride 10x better being a long-arm kit, plus with this kit I could clear 40's with no problem.

I also assume that they differentiate the '08-09, from the '03-'07 lift for the 68RFE tranny bracket, which is different than the 48RE bracket for the 5.9 trucks.....Is this correct? And that since most 6.7's are from '08 and up, this included my truck in the '08 & up category event hough it is an '07, correct? Normally I would just order it as '08 & up, but just wanted to verify with some of yall who have experience with TGC, since I don't know how they label their lifts.

With the lift and a set of spacers(2") you can clear 40's, but its not by a mile, they fit though. I basically have that 8" kit, but its the pp long arm kit with tgc 8" coils.. i put my 40x15.50's on as an 8" kit and it fit but rubbed too much so i adjusted my track bar and arms and added a 2.5" leveling spacer and now they fit nice. Doesnt tower 40's but they fit good and almost never rub...Oh and definately do the tcase index if you havnt already...

·
Unreconstructed
6,113 Posts
I clear 38's with my 6" lift with no problem. They only scrub when I turn it lock to lock and hit a bump.....Why would an 8" with 40's not be the same way?

I haven't indexed it yet. Plan on doing that sooner or later.

Does that TGC kit come with a lowered transmission bracket for the crossmember, or does it use the standard one, and you just index the T-case?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I clear 38's with my 6" lift with no problem. They only scrub when I turn it lock to lock and hit a bump.....Why would an 8" with 40's not be the same way?
Well as ou know alot of it depends on your wheels and also tire width, Also when you go to long arms you should get a lot more flex compared to a short arm.. All i can tell you is how it worked out on my truck..

·
Unreconstructed
6,113 Posts
So with that 8" long-arm and 38's I would be rockin off-road, correct?

Would you go with the Bilstein 5100 shocks or the Black Ops kit with the Nighthawk shocks for $500 more?

·
Registered
228 Posts
you should be able to rock 38's all day long... also depends on tire brand like you know some arent true to size... I have 5100's and they do just fine, but i havnt tried the nighthawk shocks yet... for the price and ride 5100s do the job for me..i noticed a huge difference in ride and handerling when i went from 37x13.50 to 40x15.50 but trade for height and looks i suppose.

·
Registered
872 Posts
It will be hard to get a 6" short arm kit to ride great but the best that is out there is the 6" Pure Performance kit. With a set of Bilstein 5100's it should be pretty close to your budget.
:agree2::agree2::agree2:Thats what im running

·
Registered
228 Posts
for tall suspensions i really am impressed with the pure perfomance stuff... doesnt function like carli or thuren but they do perform well and you can go tall...

·
Registered
492 Posts
I would go with the night hawk shocks. They look amazing and are rebuildable, plus they said they ride better than the bilsteins..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts