Cummins Diesel Forum banner

decal removeing

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  vreihen 
#1 ·
recently purchase an 08 2500 ctd and love it, but i dont like the sxt decals on the side and want to know the best way to remove the decal residew stuff it leaves after you peel it off. Thanks

fannin

#2 ·
go to local parts store and ask for an eraser wheel.. they work great, but only use it in a drill, not a die grinder. it will come appart and it hurts bad. cost about 15 bucks:$::T:

#5 ·
discount auto stopped carrying the little black can of 3m adhesive remover ive used for years....but now they carry this HUGE white aerosol can of 3m adhesive remover that works 1000x better.

Highly recommended...just hose the area down with that stuff and it will begin to turn to mush and is easily removed with a plastic putty knife.

I couldnt find one of those eraser wheels locally or I would have tried that first.

#6 ·
WD-40 and some heat works well too. Either with a heat gun or on a hot day facing the sun.

#8 ·
decal removal

Yes, it is that easy. I my experience the heat gun produces too much heat to work with your hands. A good hair dryer works much better.

#9 ·
I used Goo-Begone to take off the dealers name from the tailgate and I CAREFULLY used a razor blade to scrape it. Then two coats of wax and you would never know it was there.

#10 ·
heat it up nice and warm...use your finger nail to start a corner and peal slowly .....keeping it good and warm as you go :thumbsup

#14 ·
Mine are all gone. I hosed the entire area with WD40 and used a plastic putty knife which I slid between the plastic "decal" and the double sided rubber sticky. No danger of touching the paint with the putty knife because it is protected by that rubber.

Then, as suggested, I found a warm truck allowed the rubber to peel off intact. I didn't use a heat gun, just worked on the side of the truck facing the sun.

In a few cases I was too impatient or tried when cool and then I broke it into little pieces...then goof-off and/or goo-be-gone turns it into a mush which comes off with paper towels...but that takes a lot more time and is really messy.

#15 ·
I just took my time with my fingernails and slowly worked a corner so I could grab it. Then, with a little patience, slowly pulled it off. I did have it rip off once so I started again. Mine was about 3 weeks old when I pulled it off. No residue left on the truck.

#16 ·
wd40 and goo gone (goof off) had zero impact on the side badge adhesive on my truck.

that white can stuff worked fantastically even though when I removed the badges it left almost all the adhesive still on the truck :/

dont be scared of it...it didnt harm the paint at all...really hose the adhesive down with the spray...itll turn to soup.

#17 ·
just to let you know in my profesion goo gone is worthless for pretty much any of the sticker removal. the BIG erasser is the best thing to use at a SLOW speed if you use it at speeds be carefull it will take the clear coat right of I would like to add to put a coat of wax on after use with the big eraser if it is a decently big sized decal. just for safer measures..

#18 ·
anything with pure lemon oil works well for glue

the the wheel works awesome :thumbsup

#19 ·
how to remove decals from cars

if you are removing a decal from a car that is on a painted area, don’t use a metal razor blade as its easy to scratch the paint. Depending on the size of the job (i.e. small or large) I know of 2 products. There is a video demo at Wonder Products | Removing Decals, Vinyl and Stickers the Easy Way. (one does big areas and the other small areas) Hope this helps. P.S if you need a cheap product that is chemical free to remove the goo or adhesive, try eucalyptus oil (its chemical free and available at most supermarkets).

#20 ·
when we pull logos off the truck, we use a heat gun and a sticker applicator. its a rubber thing about the same size and shape as a credit card with 2 big rolled corners and 2 small rolled corners. takes them right off with the residue too.

#21 ·
The trick for badge removal in the import car circles is dental floss. Slip it under the badge, and it slices it off rather easily from what I've heard.

Lord knows that I've had to take decals off of my race cars many times in the past, and the best thing that I've found to break up the residual glue is WD-40 as someone else had suggested earlier. Spray it on a rag, blot the glue to moisten it up, and hit it with some elbow grease to wipe it off. A friend of mine uses brake cleaner, with similar results. If you have pesky clumps of glue remaining, try sticking the removed decal back over the spot. Many times, the glue on the sticker will pick up the residual glue on the paint.

As for removing the decals themselves, light heat and rolling them up as you peel them back has always worked for me.

Oh, and in the off-chance that someone may need to put a decal temporarily on their vehicle, peel the backing away from your new decal, stick it on a lint-filled article of clothing a few times, and then put it on the vehicle. Makes it MUCH easier to remove when the time comes.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.