Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it goes.

Bought my truck about 5 months ago. The PO had taken care of it, but wasn't too knowledgable with diesels. I was lookin at my service chart and noticed that it's recommended to check my valve clearance at 135,000 miles. It wasn't done then. Truck has 180k now, running great and no problems. Would it hurt to check the valve clearances now, or do these engines rarely need valve adjustments?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
80 Posts
You need to check and readjust every 100,000 miles.

·
Canadian Diesel Junkie
1,274 Posts
It's quite easy to do, hardest part is removing the valve cover. I would recommend doing it at least that often myself. Factory calls for 0.020 on exhaust and 0.010 on the intake IIRC. I set mine at 0.018 and 0.008 respectively. Purrs like a kitten. Properly set valves quiets the engine down considerably if they get too far out of adjustment.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Other diesels I have with solid lifters get better mileage with them adjusted. Mine are due but it isn't so critical that I'll do it before the weather breaks.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
It's quite easy to do, hardest part is removing the valve cover. I would recommend doing it at least that often myself. Factory calls for 0.020 on exhaust and 0.010 on the intake IIRC. I set mine at 0.018 and 0.008 respectively. Purrs like a kitten. Properly set valves quiets the engine down considerably if they get too far out of adjustment.
Same here. Anytime I've got the valve cover off doing injector work I might as well check the valve lash. But I tend to be more of a 50k mile person myself. Why wait till its rattling loud and sounding nasty when you can pop the valve cover off and tweak them all in under one hour.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright. Thanks for the info gents. I figured it's an easy task. I check my Dirtbike valves more than the service manual recommends. so I'll knock these valves out after the Super Bowl if I'm still standing haha.

As for the valve cover gasket, the cheapest at parts stores I'm finding is 60ish dollars. Anywhere online cheaper?

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,648 Posts
I think cummins recommends 150k, not sure. Its easy enough to do and takes about an hr of your time.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My service schedule said 135,000. My maintenance schedule said 150,000. I'll probably do it every 50k. Doesn't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
I have had the VC off 2 times & it's still the same gasket as when I bought it 2 years ago. It's rubber & reseals well. That's probably why it's $60

Ed

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Valve cover gasket is re-usable.

Reactions: dozer12216

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Planned on re using the old one. Also have some snap-on tq wrenches "borrowed" from work to use as well. Hehe

·
Registered
21,439 Posts
150k is fine.

Reactions: dozer12216

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You might as well do it. Even if it doesn't need adjustment it will give you piece of mind and you can give everything under there a visual inspection.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So how'd the job go - straightforward? I'm at 222k, unknown history, and thinking it can't hurt to do it...until I screw it up lol. She's rattling pretty good, but that could also be the 20F ambient temps lately...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So how'd the job go - straightforward? I'm at 222k, unknown history, and thinking it can't hurt to do it...until I screw it up lol. She's rattling pretty good, but that could also be the 20F ambient temps lately...
Did mine this weekend. 23 of 24 were bad. Within .10-.05 of the clearance. Easy job. Valve cover getting off and on can be a pain though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
And I've read about turning the motor with the alternator nut? Using the timing marks on the fuel pump, yes? (I bookmarked the link...).

I'm not a complete mechanical putz; I've built and raced 11 second 2.2 turbos, work on all my motorcycles, my 4.0 Jeeps...I've just never gotten inside a Cummins. I did the DDRP swap, exhaust, and gauges but they're all "accessories" in my mind, not inside the engine.

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Alright. Thanks for the info gents. I figured it's an easy task. I check my Dirtbike valves more than the service manual recommends. so I'll knock these valves out after the Super Bowl if I'm still standing haha.

As for the valve cover gasket, the cheapest at parts stores I'm finding is 60ish dollars. Anywhere online cheaper?
Your dirt bike has solid, and probably, roller rocker arms. No lifters there and even if your bike did happen to be an old cam in block engine then the lifters would still more than likely be solid and require FAR more maintenance then hydraulic lifters. Comparing an MX bike to your Cummins is like comparing apples and broccoli.

In saying that, I'm not advocating that regular maintenance isnt necessary and important to any engine but checking valve clearance on these engines is going to be rarely needed after the initial check. Sure most valves will always be out of spec the first time around since you have normal wear and tear during break-in but in all actuality for a valve to change clearance enough to pose a difference in HP or mileage usually means there was excessively high RPM's for the application or excessively high heat for the application. So if you drive normal and arent running EGT's in the stratosphere on a regular basis then after the initial 130-150k mile check, I'm sure the valve clearance will remain in check for many years to come.

That said, I do plan on checking mine as soon as I ever reach 150k or maybe if I'm so bored whereby I have nothing else to do.....then I may take a peak just to break the monotony. I've got to many other toys which need attention as well and I bought this truck for its reliabilty.....not to constantly work on. :thumbup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Solid Lifters

"Your dirt bike has solid, and probably, roller rocker arms. No lifters there and even if your bike did happen to be an old cam in block engine then the lifters would still more than likely be solid and require FAR more maintenance then hydraulic lifters. Comparing an MX bike to your Cummins is like comparing apples and broccoli."

Except that Cummins lifters are solid too......:party018:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts