Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 RAM 3500 6.7....................leveling kit/rear 2" blocks/35x12.50.17...stock rims....................this truck is brand new with 2400 miles on [email protected] 65/70 mph going around a corner and hitting a decent bump/hole this truck starts vibrating and shaking violently.............feels like the front wheels are literally coming off!................Had truck to tire shop and dealership................neither can figure it out???????..........dealership says 1 week after mine they had a call from another owner with the same problem?..........................HELP!!!!!!

·
Banned
2,046 Posts
Quite often, a Leveling Kit=Death Wobble Starter Kit!!! Seems like most every post we read about the DW, the owner has a leveling kit installed. Unless everything is super tight in the front end, you've just changed the whole geometry of the front end and the DW is more likely than if you were stock. Did you have this problem prior to the leveling kit??? More info is needed!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
1. Have you had an alignment done since you installed the leveling kit?
2. Consider a better steering stabilizer and trackbar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I traded in my 06 on the 08..we swapped all parts over to the 08.............didnt even drive the 08 when it was stock height..............both shops checked bolts/tightness...there doesnt seem to be any slack anywhere.....?...............the track bar on the 6.7 is alot heavier than the 06...............my 06 was full of warranty problems/thats why i bought the 08......now this:(..............thinking about swapping the kit for a better one (carli....bilstein?)......or maybe an adjustable track bar?.....

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
the dodge front ends share the same style steering as the jeep cherokees, the tie rod connects to the drag link. so as the front goes up and down, the toe goes in and out. lifting the front 2" will suck the toe in enough to give you death wobble.

aligning the truck with a tape measure is good enough and free, pick a spot on the tire that you can match from front to back, and adjust the toe so its 1/16-1/8" IN (the front measurement being smaller)

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
I discussed a leveling kit with an alignment shop, they recommended a new pitman arm to ensure the steering geometry didn't change with the lift. They seemed very knowledgeable on the Dodge front end and confident in the recommendation. We haven't lifted the front, so I have no evidence either way.

·
2,798 Posts
if by a new pitman arm you mean a drop pitman arm, its not necessary with that small of a lift, it also requires relocating your track bar bracket. dropping the track bar (longer pitman arm) and leaving the track bar in the stock location will cause bump steer because now the drag link and track bar will fight each other. the track bar isnt going to move because its mounted solid, the drag link is connected to your steering wheel so as the suspension goes up and down the steering wheel will turn back and forth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey rock kustom.........thanks for the info................the truck was aligned when lifted and was ok.............then re-checked after it went back in............all is ok............??????????????????.......................dodge shop put a different steering stabilizer off another 08.............and stock tires/wheels....................same problem......????????

·
Registered
9 Posts
mine too

my 2003 also has a case of the death wobbles will an alignment and a stabilizer fix the issue or should i remove the leveling kit?

·
2,798 Posts
steering stabilizers are bandaids for death wobble, you should have perfect steering with out a stabilizer and then put one on if you want it

·
Registered
220 Posts
you need to change the caster angle,any alignment shop can do it.I will almost guarantee that its your caster angle giving you that problem

·
2,798 Posts
caster shouldnt cause death wobble, it can make the truck wander, but thats about it

G

·
caster shouldnt cause death wobble, it can make the truck wander, but thats about it
I just saw my first leveling Kit installed today on an 08. He was complaining of the same thing.

With the two trucks side by side, we looked at the angle the tie rods go to the wheels. It looks like you are suffering from "Bump Steer". This is common when you change the geometry of the tie rods.

In other words, let it sag. Ibet it's worse when you have weight on it.

·
2,798 Posts
I just saw my first leveling Kit installed today on an 08. He was complaining of the same thing.

With the two trucks side by side, we looked at the angle the tie rods go to the wheels. It looks like you are suffering from "Bump Steer". This is common when you change the geometry of the tie rods.

In other words, let it sag. Ibet it's worse when you have weight on it.
lifting the front end 2" wont cause bump steer, not enough to make it feel like death wobble. as long as you dont move the mounting location for the track bar and drag link, bump steer wont increase a noticeable amount.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You did say they changed the tires. on every vehicle that I have had the D/W it was something to do with tires.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Take that leveling kit off before that truck kills you and your family, I'm not joking!! The death wobble started when I installed the leveling kit on my 05. It caused me to lose controll ond put the truck on its lid.

G

·
The lift kit changes the geometry of the tie rod ends quite a bit. The only way to correct it is to drop the centerlink. This isn't like the old Dodges which had drag links.

Leave the rake in it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HMMMMMM.Still not sure what to do here.........?..........................new lift?.............new shocks?.......................

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just read in the July 08 copy of Diesel Power magazine about this product that claimed to fix the death wobble. I can't seem to find the article on the website, but in the article they give a link to the company that sells it. It is on page 58 of the magazine.

The website is

BD Power - Product: Steering Box Stabilizer

The magazine article goes into way more detail than the website, it seems to me that this is a very good idea. I don't know much about alignments, but it seemed like a good idea. Maybe somebody else who has read the magazine could post a link or something, I'm not very computer savy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts