Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

death wobble

1445 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  4NEATR
I recently had the death wobble occur while I was going about 75 MPH. Luckily no cars was around when this occured. The wobble did not stop till I slowed to around 35MPH. Has anybody tried the BD diesel steering box stabilizer kit to try to fix the death wobble?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
1,058 Posts
steering stabilizers do not cure death wobble
they mask real issues. There is a TSB for the older steering setups and also some incorrect track bar bolts have been found in these trucks as well as being loose
death wobble can be caused by many things so I suggest you have someone look at it to find the source. they need to look at it on the ground while wiggling the steering wheel back and fourth and up in the air.

· Registered
63 Posts
Here is what I did. I had a limited amount of funds and wanted the thuren track bar. But could not get it and what else i needed. Both back shocks were blown and I blew the steering stabilizer, 2nd one of them. I have the old steering setup also.

I put 4 new shocks on. The rough country ones.
The rough country dual steering stabilizer.
The BD steering brace.

I put the dual on first. It helped. I then put the BD on, and it got better. Then I replaced the shocks. Now my truck rides amazing. I can't get over how great it rides and steers. No steering wobble at all. Have about 1000 miles on this setup, loaded and unloaded. I know the shocks are cheaper and prob will need to be replaced in a year or less. But It made my truck drivable again. I was getting death wobble at every bridge. Was not safe.

When the money starts coming back in I will put the thuren track bar on and get rid of the load D bfg's. They are not good tires for this truck.

But for someone who is in a tight situation I did all of this for under 450 bucks. And like I said truck rides great for now. I will put some better shocks on it when these crap out. Over all though I am completely satisfied with the stuff i did and it rides great.

· Registered
88 Posts
We had death wobble, changed the shocks, no change. We had the TSB done and it was better, we changed our tires for a E rated tire, GONE.

· 700hp Club
2,197 Posts
Do you have the upgraded front end from your dealer? If not get it done, the 07.5's had a 5.9 front end and it was not holding up, the later 08's have it and if you ask your dealer then they have to put it in, safety reasons, tell them about the wobble. I had brutal wobble after i put the lift and 33's on, my dealer installed the upgraded front end, it was better but not perfect. I ordered the BD steering box stabilizer and after that, no more wobble at all, truck has been running great for about a year now after that. Track bar upgrades are for larger lifts, it will correct your axle back where it should be. Steering box stabilizers will take the play out of the steering, where dual shock stabilizers just put a bandaid on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.