Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heys guys just wanted to post a problem i have been having with a 2011 crew cab 4x4 stock truck no leveling kit. It all started last weekend, I started getting a really bad wobble once the truck hit a bump on the road. So on monday i took it to the dealer, and now its friday and the dealer cant figure it out yet. they have been talking to star (chryslers engineers) tring to resolve the issue. what i was told by chrysler is that once its at the star level that all the dealership can do is what star suggests. the first thing they did was change the steering stabilizer and still there was a wobble, next star asked them to get the truck aligned, they did that still a wobble, next inspect front steering linkage, that was fine, road force the tires, still a wobble, change tires from a new truck, same wobble. now just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and what was done to fix it. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I had the same problem on a Stock 2010 3500 & RAM tried those repairs (& more) to no avail. :banghead: Have they done anything with the steering box, track bar or front shocks yet? Put a vibration analizer on the truck?

·
Registered
132 Posts
heys guys just wanted to post a problem i have been having with a 2011 crew cab 4x4 stock truck no leveling kit. It all started last weekend, I started getting a really bad wobble once the truck hit a bump on the road. So on monday i took it to the dealer, and now its friday and the dealer cant figure it out yet. they have been talking to star (chryslers engineers) tring to resolve the issue. what i was told by chrysler is that once its at the star level that all the dealership can do is what star suggests. the first thing they did was change the steering stabilizer and still there was a wobble, next star asked them to get the truck aligned, they did that still a wobble, next inspect front steering linkage, that was fine, road force the tires, still a wobble, change tires from a new truck, same wobble. now just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and what was done to fix it. thanks in advance.

Not sure if this going to help but I had to deal with this on my 08 Mega cab. I bought the truck new from the dealer, it had a small lift and mud tires all installed at the dealer. Within that week i started getting wobble so I bought a Steering Box Stabilizer it helped it out alot but would still feel it some of the time. Then it came for new tires and seen the dealer had put on C rated tires witch is to low for these diesel trucks. So i installed E class rated tired and haven't seen it back since. It rides smooth tracks nice down the road ..

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
355 Posts
From what Iv read on the DW most of the time its the track bar. The bushings are to soft from the factory.

·
Registered
523 Posts
From what Iv read on the DW most of the time its the track bar. The bushings are to soft from the factory.
I agree, a good adjustable track bar might fix the problem. What you are probably experiencing is bump steer not the DW. The DW is a violent shake which makes you wanna cry for mommy. Also as mention above is tires. Some guys have gotten the wobble/Bump steer due to certain brands of A/T tires.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I agree, a good adjustable track bar might fix the problem. What you are probably experiencing is bump steer not the DW. The DW is a violent shake which makes you wanna cry for mommy. Also as mention above is tires. Some guys have gotten the DW/Bump steer due to certain brands of A/T tires.
An adjustable track bar & NEW tires are required on 100% stock brand NEW trucks? :confused013:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yes smata$$ that's what I meant. Not that he could probably fix it quicker and easier than 50 trips to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Yes smata$$ that's what I meant. Not that he could probably fix it quicker and easier than 50 trips to the dealer.
Why spend money trying to fix a stock truck that has a warranty? :confused013: Isn't that why some people buy new trucks? :confused013: You should be able to go down the road safely in a 100% stock NEW truck correct? :confused013:

·
Registered
674 Posts
You should not have to in a perfect world but its not. Dodge will not use better quality parts and sometimes it is just easier to spend a few bucks to fix it right and be done vs multiple trips to the dealer.

Most dealer techs dont have a clue how to fix something like this and Don does. He also could give advice on what to check or look for which then the OP could ask the techs if they have checked or not.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
could you image the price on trucks if they actually use quality parts :/ no thank you i dont want a 95k truck lol

·
Registered
674 Posts
could you image the price on trucks if they actually use quality parts :/ no thank you i dont want a 95k truck lol
Don't they wind up being that much after replacing the crap parts and doing mod's anyway:hehe:

·
Registered
355 Posts
You should not have to in a perfect world but its not. Dodge will not use better quality parts and sometimes it is just easier to spend a few bucks to fix it right and be done vs multiple trips to the dealer.

Most dealer techs dont have a clue how to fix something like this and Don does. He also could give advice on what to check or look for which then the OP could ask the techs if they have checked or not.
I had my truck at the dealer for the DW and was told all the parts are fine. I chose to spend the money rather than my time at the dealer. I changed the track bar and was good to go. As far as confusing DW for bump steer I know the difference. I had DW. Don was alot of help in fixing the problem. First thing he had me do is rotate the adjusters towards the rear of the truck 20 deg. It did help but didnt totaly fix the problem. The tires Don says are the worst for DW are the BFGs and Michelins. I always thought Michelins were on the hight end of tires. I have Generals

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's a brand new truck. What could possibly be worn out? This is not only sad, it's complete bull crap that we are being sold an unreliable / unsafe product. Spending all the money in the world is not going to fix a design flaw. We should have never had any of these problems in the first place. It really amazes me that no one has died in an accident as a result of death wobble. Sadly ,that and a bunch of lawsuits is what it is going to take before any sure fix is found.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I can understand your guys frustration owning a new truck and having issues. The variables that cause this issue can vary and can be more than one part causing the issue. What I mean is when it comes to steering & suspension it can be easy or complex. What we don't know if maybe a part was warped/defected off the line. Would I buy new tires or a adj track bar under warranty.. heck no! I believe we are all making suggestions on what has been common problems with these trucks. Over all it's up to you if you wanna wait it out and play the warranty game.

·
Registered
527 Posts
After finishing up a nice bottle of wine and reading the comments I feel like I should try to explain the “Death Wobble” as it applies to our trucks. By the way, the DW and Bump Steer are basically the same. The D.W. is B.S. that keeps happening.

To better understand what is happening here lets just pretend the track bar is made of rubber, or better yet, what would happen if it were made of rubber.

Now picture yourself driving down the road and you hit a bump or rock in the road.
It steers the tires to the right. This causes the axle to move to the right. The rubber track bar stretches and starts to pull the frame of the truck to the right. At this point the axle is to the right of the center of the truck. But wait! The steering is attached to the steering box which is attached to the frame. So it pulls the steering back to the left! Now the frame is headed to the right and the axle is heading to the left compressing the track bar. At this point the axle is left of the center of the truck. But wait! Now the opposite is happening. The steering box is pulling the tires toward the right and the frame of the truck is heading to the left. And on it goes!
This is DW!

Now your probably thinking that last bottle of wine has made my brain rubber. Remember just because it is made of steel doesn't mean it will not flex. Not only does the steel track bar flex, where the track bar attaches to the frame flexes, the bushings flex, the steering box shaft flexes, the frame the steering box attaches to flexes, tie rods and joints flex, ball joints, tire sidewalls, rims, stub axles all flex! If they all flex enough, you will experience the dreaded DW. It is not just the track bar, but ALL the important parts flexing.

If it makes anyone feel better, any vehicle with a solid front axle and tie rods that attach forward of the axle are susceptible to DW. I just helped a friend fix the DW on his motor home with a beam axle in the front. We replaced the steering box, leaf spring bushings and tie rod ends. Seems to be working fine now. Trucks like the Chevy with independent A arms are mostly resistant to this because a movement on one tire has no effect on the other.

There doesn't seem to be any single cause of DW. But there is always that last straw of flex that brings it on! The cure is to make the axle and truck act as one, at least as side to side movement goes.
As far a why a brand new truck would have DW I could only guess. All parts have a tolerance. When an assembly, like a truck, is put together, some tolerances cancel each other while others sum up. It is possible that a combination of loose parts were installed in your truck. Each individual part in tolerance, but summing up to too much slop.

If my tuck, which has 7000 mi developed DW, the first thing I would replace would be the track bar and bushings. The second thing would be a steering shaft brace. They are both easy to install and have a proven track record for reducing/eliminating DW.

Now, where did I put the darn cork screw!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Why spend money trying to fix a stock truck that has a warranty? :confused013: Isn't that why some people buy new trucks? :confused013: You should be able to go down the road safely in a 100% stock NEW truck correct? :confused013:
This has been my point. A warranty is great if you have a properly trained technician to back it up. The dealerships are ill equipped to diagnose and repair issues, both from a technical and customer service standpoint. They lack the ability to look past what the book, or the computer is telling them and be creative with their troubleshooting.

Throwing poorly engineered, inferior stock parts at the problem ISN'T always the answer. There are many aftermarket companies that have come up with better solutions than what the factory has offered.

No, you shouldn't have to upgrade or modify a stock truck. But sometimes its the best alternative when you can't get the dealer to figure it out.

If you have a 100% perfect truck then count yourself lucky never to have to deal with them. For those that don't, they are lucky to have a supportive aftermarket to fix what Dodge can't seem to get right.

Jason

Reactions: 2012 RAM 3500
1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.