Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Original thread http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/0...owertrain/458656-my-death-wobble-journal.html

So I've put about 15k miles on the truck since I last had DW and it feels like it's coming back(Starting to get vibration).

Mechanic is recommending a dual steering stabilizer, new swaybar end links, tie rod ends, and new shocks. I might add a track bar as well. Truck only has 44k miles on it.

I have the donut style leveling kit. I saw on the Carli website theirs doesn't use a donut. It uses new springs/shocks and end links. Is that a better setup? Need it fixed but can't spend 6k on a lift.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I inquired with top gun customz I'm waiting for a reply back they make a steering upgrade that changes everything to how a ford setup is, their website only offers it for lifted trucks but surely they do it for none lifted trucks right? That's why I inquired its north of a grand but it'd be money well spent if you ask me. I'll post once I hear back

·
Registered
856 Posts
What kind of shocks do you have on the front, I would think a much better shock then stock would be needed with the larger wheel and tire package you have.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have procomp shocks that were put on when I did the levelling kit. I'm planning to go with bilstein 5100's, a skyjacker in-line dual stabilizer, and a thuren tracbar. I also have to do the N62 tie rod recall and I'm curious what's going to happen with that.

The way the mechanic explained it is that I have 35 inch by 12.5 inch tires that I primarily drive on the street. Tires that wide and big are expected to slip and grib in dirt/snow, not have a full contact patch daily on the street. Running those tires will cause parts to wear/break much more than stock. He thinks that's why the fronts are starting to feather which coupled with any suspension issue is causing the vibration.

I can't imagine at 44k miles I already need balljoints. I could see shocks, bushings, etc. I love the look but will probaby go with an all-terrain next time rather than a mud terrain.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When i installed my 3inch leveling with the coil spring spacers i had the same problem... I made an adjustable trackbar helped a little but not the problem.. I think the biggest thing was the y style steering.. Same size tires u have.. Then i got on ebay and got the t style with the steering damper and the pitman arm... Installed it myself and got it aligned..Never had a problem with dw again.. Never even feels like its about to get the death wobble.. Going 120 ive never even had a feeling like im about to get it .. Completely solved.. Pricey but 100 percent worth the money... Just sharing my experiences

Reactions: sfbay07cummins

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dodge has a recall out for this I am pretty Shure!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to the dealership today for the N62 recall. Since my truck has the Y-style linkage, it was not affected. I told the service manager I wanted to upgrade to the T-style since it looked much more heavy duty and seemed to be a popular upgrade. He told me the T-style is what is being recalled and they are replacing the linkage with the newest T-style, however it still uses the U-bolt design. He personally feels the U-bolt design is flawed and has seen trucks come in under warranty after the U-bolts start to loosen.

He is a jeep guy but has had similar problems with DW on his personal vehicles. He recommended I start with re-balancing the tires, rotate, and check alignment before spending any money on new parts. His personal opinion of the DW on a newer truck with low mileage and no off-roading is that the mud-terrain tires wear unevenly(feathering etc) and get out of balance which begins to make the truck wobble and shimmy, and eventually DW. Adding dual stabilizers etc will just mask the problem.

I brought my truck to a local tire shop that has a great reputation for alignments, etc. They are balancing, rotating, and re-aligning(if necessary).

this is the info on the recall is anyone is interested.

Reactions: 69GWC

·
Registered
70 Posts
T style - two front tires are bolted together with a heavy duty bar... No more give.. Its soild..

Y style - one tire is bolted and connected to the pitman arm... The other tire is then bolted to the bar.. Has a bushing.. Not solid

If u hit a bump with one tire.. Which set up would u want.. And which one would probably cause one tire to start shaking..

·
Registered
427 Posts
also, is the T-style steering upgrade worth it or should i just do new tie rod ends?
i got the 08.5 front end with carli ball joints, trac bar and high mount stabilizer and running the factory stabilizer and that seem to take car of my DW

·
Registered
329 Posts
I believe what happens is when you level your front (spacer) it changes the geometry of your front end. Because you didn't get longer torsion bars it pulls the axle to the rear and to the drivers side which= Death Wobble.

You can get a track bar and it will help some but eventually it will come back. If you buy a system from someone like Carli or Thuren and purchase the appropriate length (*edit* upper and lower control arm is what I meant. Sorry!) for the given lift it will put your truck back in correct geometrical configuration.

How do I know this? I went down the same route as you did and just had a new system installed. It makes all of the difference in the world. No band-aids.

Hope this helps-

D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.