Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have changed ball joints, maxed out caster, upgraded to Rancho steering stabilizer, replaced schocks, both front wheel bearings, upgraded to new style Mopar steering assembly, I have not changed the track bar bushings but they seem tight, I added the BD steering box stabilizer. So as you can see I've got a little bit of money in this but the problem is the death wobble is still just as bad as it was when I started.
ANy ideas?

ps : truck has leveling kit but did not have the problem for the first two years of having the leveling kit.
with the truck running violently turning the steering left and right,, there is no slack anywhere.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not sure but bet you need adjustable track arm and when you looked to see if track arm was tight, did you pull it off and look at the bushings. I know the moog brand replacement bushing have alot more rubber or poly then oem. Might be just enough to start the wobble.

·
Out There, Savin' Lives
521 Posts
Have you checked your tires? When mine started doing this, 1 tire had a broken belt.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I know this is gonna sound crazy but try putting different size tires on the truck. My 06 on 35's never had the death wobble and then I put some older stock height tires on it to sell it and it got the death wobble twice the next day

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replaced the oem bushings tonight on the track bar. Still the same.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Have you tried rotating your tires?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problem awhile after I added the 2.5" leveling kit. The truck would start the death wobble anytime I hit a bump after 60mph. Replaced the stock steering stabilizer with a rancho and it did not help any so I decided on going with dual steering stabilizers but upgraded on the brand with belstein stabilizers and problem went away. I thought I was going to have to replace the entire front end like many others have done but the dual setup with quality stabilizers did it for me. Good luck getting it figured out. PITA when you can't keep up with traffic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wobble only occurs when I'm going over 60mph and hit a minor blemish in the asphalt. The caster angle does not change anything. Ive adjusted the washers back and forth from 4*-MAX and it doesn't change a thing. The problem never existed before with the single stabilizer so it has to be something else. The track bar does seem to have a very very minimal amount of movement the frame side bushing but less than a 1/16" of movement. I will try a rotate and balance tomorrow. I do not want to go to a bigger size tire because I have the 3.42s installed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tightened track bar bolts to 165ft/lbs. No more (ZERO) track bar movement. Death wobble still persists.

·
Registered
5 Posts
had the same problem replaced every thing in my front end still had death wobble i ended up putting a new steering box on and havent had a single problem since hope this helps

·
Registered
435 Posts
Rotate your tires tomorrow and check your tire pressures as well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'am not sure but don't our steering boxes have a slotted bolt with nut around it to tighten up the play in the gear set?

·
Registered
93 Posts
my old VW bug would do this when the front tire pressure was not the same.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i had it with stock crappy tires. Put on the 35's and never had it again. But at the same time i adjusted the castor. So it could have been one or the other.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Does anybody have any pics of where 4.5-5 degree looks like in relation to cam on lower control arms. I see the round hole and i see hatch marks at different angles. but what line do they need to be on. My death wobble exp was pretty scary one lane blacktop on a corner bump at the exit of corner I turned tuck just kept going straight then I turned harder made it around the corner and hit the bump and it was all over WOBBLE. stopped looked under truck the lower bolt for track arm broke off. Weird feeling turning the wheel and no go so I checked other bolt and was hand tight iam assuming the j^cka$$ that installed the lift didnt have any lock tight the red, or he just didnt tighten. So iam good to go now but noticed my caster is diff from each other. Maybe rolling 60-65 down ol blacktop not a good idea with 35s and 5in. lift:shock:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yup just confirmed there is adjustment in steering box on my 06, I think all steering gear boxes have them, might try that before buying new one.:$:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I can post a pic of my caster adjustment tonight ,not sure what degree I ended up with all I know is I had terrible DW and now I dont.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
I was getting some steering wobble at 65mph. I put on new brakes and had my rotors turned and it went away. My driverside front rotor was warped.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Death wobble does not discriminate. It doesn't matter what year your truck is, how much lift or stock height, what size tires, etc. Death wobble happens when a part or parts of your steering system wear out and have too much slop, so the axle is able to move side to side while moving down the road.
The most common cause is the track bar wearing out, however it can also be caused by worn tie rod ends. Generally, the culprit will be the track bar, which is solely responsible for controlling the side to side movement of the axle. When it gets even a very minor amount of play in it, you will feel it all over. The steering wheel will violently shake back and forth, the truck sways side to side, hops around, and the truck is not controllable for the most part. All you can do is get on the brakes and get off the road, hopefully there is nobody near you. Then you make the decision of spending $200 +/- and getting a stock replacement so you can go through this again at a later date, or you upgrade. I have a Thuren track bar sitting in my shop that not only is much stronger than the stock bar, but is also adjustable so you can get your axle centered just right after adding any amount of lift. His bar is not much more than the stock bar, but it is much more reliable. .: THUREN FABRICATION :.

Or another option is -- Luke's Link

1 - 20 of 47 Posts