Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just experienced death wobble in my truck running about 80mph and hit a rough spot in the road.
I just had my leveling kit installed and i haven't had my truck alligned yet.
Is that the problem, or is it something else?
Sure dont want it to happen again, man was that scarry.

·
ILLINOIS NORTHERN VP
2,061 Posts
i heard it shakes around 60 to 70 mph without hittin anything, alignment would help tho hitting spots like that on the road

·
Registered
643 Posts
Is death wabble when you drink to much and try to look sober for the old ladie?????

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
Is death wabble when you drink to much and try to look sober for the old ladie?????
I believe you are right!!!:rof:rof:rof:rof:lol3:

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
There must be a problem with these new trucks...I have seen three of these posts in the last week and have not seen a cure yet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
:welcome:Mine did the wabble also when you hit a pot hole in the road.I have a 2" leveling kit also.IT's a couple of different things. 1 thing the ball joints the other if you did not change the stock shocks they are now to short. The other thing I did to mine was put dual shocks on it rough country has the kits that helped 100 percent. The other thing that will help alot rotate the tires.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i guarantee you it is the alignment...........i just had mine realigned and that fixed it. anytime you tinker around with the front end you HAVE TO GET IT REALIGNED..... this is the cure for the newer trucks.....i had the same problem with the spacer so anyone having the leveling kit put on has to have it realigned......unless you are one out of a million that they hit it dead on when they put it back together. have it realigned then put up another post on how that fixed it, so everyone will have their trucks realigned and not have to experience this uncomfortable experience...

·
Registered
233 Posts
:welcome:Mine did the wabble also when you hit a pot hole in the road.I have a 2" leveling kit also.IT's a couple of different things. 1 thing the ball joints the other if you did not change the stock shocks they are now to short. The other thing I did to mine was put dual shocks on it rough country has the kits that helped 100 percent. The other thing that will help alot rotate the tires.
i forgot to mention the short factory shocks. i had mine replaced with bds off road shocks and the front stabilizer. good point smoken 68. :thumbsup

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 04 was aligned did fine for 15,000 miles went back to junk.Done some changes works fine now.My 08 has 2" leveling kit realigned has been fine never a problem.It only has 3000 miles.I'm think it's more the miles you have and how bad the ball joints are on the truck. The shocks play a big part also.

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,432 Posts
I have noticed that most of the people that experience Death Wobble have leveling kits, and nothing else. You have to make sure to do an alignment, get some good shocks, and a Steering Stabilizer. Once you start messing with the front end geometry, you are gonna need to compensate for this, or have issues down the road. Hope you get it sorted out, and it doesn't happen again.

·
ILLINOIS NORTHERN VP
2,061 Posts
i guarantee you it is the alignment...........i just had mine realigned and that fixed it. anytime you tinker around with the front end you HAVE TO GET IT REALIGNED..... this is the cure for the newer trucks.....i had the same problem with the spacer so anyone having the leveling kit put on has to have it realigned......unless you are one out of a million that they hit it dead on when they put it back together. have it realigned then put up another post on how that fixed it, so everyone will have their trucks realigned and not have to experience this uncomfortable experience...
nope didnt fix mine, it fixed my clock spring tho and that damn light dont come on anymore, but im ganna try the dual steering stabilizers once the come in.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think it comes down to worn front end parts and poor alignment. I'm a tech so my junk is in good order, never had it or even know what it feels like and we have some bad roads up here. I have a levelling kit too but did do an alignment after install.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have noticed that most of the people that experience Death Wobble have leveling kits, and nothing else. You have to make sure to do an alignment, get some good shocks, and a Steering Stabilizer. Once you start messing with the front end geometry, you are gonna need to compensate for this, or have issues down the road. Hope you get it sorted out, and it doesn't happen again.
the new shocks does sound like the way to go, but do i need a full 2 inch longer shocks,and is the steering stabilizer a must.

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,432 Posts
Yeah, I would say that you are gonna want to get the 2 inch longer shocks, to make up for the difference the stocks cant provide, so that you dont bottom them out!! As far as the steering stabilizer, it is not a must, but will be something you might want to think about adding in the future. It is good insurance, to take some of the stress off of the front end, that the stock equipment cant do with the added lift, and possibly bigger tires.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I would say that you are gonna want to get the 2 inch longer shocks, to make up for the difference the stocks cant provide, so that you dont bottom them out!! As far as the steering stabilizer, it is not a must, but will be something you might want to think about adding in the future. It is good insurance, to take some of the stress off of the front end, that the stock equipment cant do with the added lift, and possibly bigger tires.
whats the best brand of shocks and where can i get them quick. I'm gonna need my truck fixed before the comming up weekend for TS performances outlaw race and truck pull.

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,432 Posts
Not sure of where to get them quick, but I used to run the Bilstein 5100's when I had my 6" lift, and they were great. Good brand to go with, and the truck rode really good. Hopefully someone can chime in as to where to get them quickly, or make a post in the Wanted to buy colum, and see what kind of responses you get!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I went with the same size shocks that go on a 2.5in suspension lift just to give myself a lil extra play and it fixed the prob... cuz personally i feel like the shocks are to short from factory

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for all the help guys. i ended up putting some ranchos on my truck today and got it alligned and so far so good. I was aiming on going with the bilsteins but the ranchos were easier for me to get quickly. hope i dont regret it later but right now the ranchos seem like they give a really smooth ride.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts