Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has over 100k on it now. I have never taken it to the dealer for anything. I have owned the truck for around 40k and as soon as I bought it I deleted everything, and installed a smarty jr (have always run it on mpg).

But now my oil is starting to smell a little bit like diesel, so I'm thinking its prob a injector starting to go bad. My truck doesnt smoke at all, never, and my exhaust still smells normal, but sometimes I can smell a very faint diesel smell in the engine bay or wheel wells. My oil is still thick and dark. So I dont think that the injector is bad all the way yet.

My question is, how will a dealer react to my truck being modified? Will or can he turn me away? Will they do anything to the computer, ie take off my smarty?

·
Administrator
7,072 Posts
I would send an oil sample away and you would know for sure. Is the oil level rising, white smokey exhaust?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would send an oil sample away and you would know for sure. Is the oil level rising, white smokey exhaust?
No smoke in exhaust even under startup, and if the oil level is rising is sure isnt fast enough for me to see it. Im kinda thinking that maybe the oil place put the wrong oil in it, gas engine oil.

How would I be able to tell if they put the wrong kind of oil in my truck?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
If your truck isn't under warranty, I wouldn't worry about the dealership giving a rats behind about your mods.

What about exhaust leaks or an actual fuel leak?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your truck isn't under warranty, I wouldn't worry about the dealership giving a rats behind about your mods.

What about exhaust leaks or an actual fuel leak?
I have never seen any fuel at all under the hood or any of my fuel lines wet.

I will check for exhaust leaks again tomorrow but I doubt I have one, where-as I look under the hood often and havent seen anything abnormal on the manifold or turbo.

I'm not worried about them giving me crap just worried that they will tell me the problem is my mods instead of looking at the truck and figuring out what is really wrong.

·
Administrator
7,072 Posts
I'm not worried about them giving me crap just worried that they will tell me the problem is my mods instead of looking at the truck and figuring out what is really wrong.
That is fair. I have heard of the odd dealer like that. Just talk to the service manager first and then you will know. They will be a lot more easy going since it is off warranty.

As for the oil analysis, I send mine to Finning. Lots of automotive parts stores sell the little sample bottles. You just fill it up and send it away.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My local dealer has issues with my 02 truck. Seems with to many mods, the service techs don't know how to fix the truck. If your just running a programmer, remove it. Dodge has a habit of plugging there starscan and reflash stuff. You can tell don't, but they still do.

For injectors, what fuel conditioner you running? Heard a few guys having luck with it. You could pull them and have them tested and cleaned.

Should have seen the dealer freak out with my 02 with the twins on the truck, for an AC recharge. It was funny. Next after that is stereos and wiring issues. Anyways...:hehe:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My local dealer has issues with my 02 truck. Seems with to many mods, the service techs don't know how to fix the truck. If your just running a programmer, remove it. Dodge has a habit of plugging there starscan and reflash stuff. You can tell don't, but they still do.

For injectors, what fuel conditioner you running? Heard a few guys having luck with it. You could pull them and have them tested and cleaned.
My truck has a smarty with full deletes thats it. If I remove the smarty my truck will go into limp mode cause the dpf/egr is gone.

I guess I should send my oil off to be sure.... seems like the best plan to start.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I got the oil sample kit at a Cat on Jacksboro hwy. They sent it out for me and had it back in 2 days..

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,073 Posts
Ok, let's take a step back. Let's figure out if you really have fuel in your oil. Take a piece of newspaper out to the truck. Pull the dipstick and drop it on the newspaper. Let it wait for a few moments. If there is fuel in the oil, you'll get a halo effect around the darker engine oil drop on the newspaper.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, let's take a step back. Let's figure out if you really have fuel in your oil. Take a piece of newspaper out to the truck. Pull the dipstick and drop it on the newspaper. Let it wait for a few moments. If there is fuel in the oil, you'll get a halo effect around the darker engine oil drop on the newspaper.
I am going to try that asap... i need a news paper.. haha

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
Now this is Calif but when we traded in the 08 last week we had to sign a paper that stated we had never modified the truck's smog equiptment

·
Registered
519 Posts
Fuel in oil man. Does it have a sent of fuel when you pull the dipstick? My number four injector was sticking and I could smell the fuel in the oil. Pretty obvious with the paper trick to me...
Give me a shout if you need any help...:thumbsup:

·
Salty Squid
770 Posts
Sorry about your truck issues.

I'd first try an injector cleaner, like lucas, or AMSoil, etc.

If that doesn't do anything for you I would go to a diesel shop instead of your RAM dealer for reasons stated above. Usually the dealership has people that know how to read troublecodes from the starscan tool they may or may not know how to use.

If you have a Cummins shop nearby that might even be a better choice, unless you have one of the rare dealerships with a "Super Tech" that actually knows about a Cummins. To test the dealership you could always ask them when the spark plugs need changed out :) If they tell you 100k, I'd just shake my head and walk away...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Here he comes to save the day, SUPERTECH is on the way!!!!!!!!!!! YAAAAY!!!!!!!!!

We use that term in our shop for the guys who think they are supertechs. But sad to say they are lacking in the super and tech departments.

If you're gonna keep the truck, just save yourself later trips to the shop and put a full set of sticks in it and run an additive from here on out.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Im going to have to try this oil on the paper towel deal. I just deleted and I can smell whats being described. I haven changed it since I bought it used. Changing the oil, fuel filter will help this smell?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you're gonna keep the truck, just save yourself later trips to the shop and put a full set of sticks in it and run an additive from here on out.
Whos injectors do you recommend?

I am going to send off a sample of oil soon to see if there really is fuel in my oil.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts