Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 2500 slt RWD. It started pulling a bit to the right so i went to dodge for a alignment. Now we checked out the front end before I brought it to them, I had some ever so slight tie rod end play, I mean real slight to be no concern to me or my buddy that owns his own garage.... After about 20 mins i was paged and the service manager said i had major front end repairs to be done. They said upper and lower ball joint were shot, also both outside tie rod ends were shot.... I looked at them in disbelief and when i asked for them to show me they said no one is allowed in garage area due to insurance reasons. They charged me 44 bucks to tell me that i needed 1825.00 worth of work to my front end..I told them them that there was no way my truck has these problems because we checked it out before i brought it to them. ... Well needless to say my truck is ok and i had a tire company align it. I would have never thought a dealership would be this way. I really thought they were on the up and up and now am very disappointed . You cant trust anyone any more

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
I have a 05 2500 slt RWD. It started pulling a bit to the right so i went to dodge for a alignment. Now we checked out the front end before I brought it to them, I had some ever so slight tie rod end play, I mean real slight to be no concern to me or my buddy that owns his own garage.... After about 20 mins i was paged and the service manager said i had major front end repairs to be done. They said upper and lower ball joint were shot, also both outside tie rod ends were shot.... I looked at them in disbelief and when i asked for them to show me they said no one is allowed in garage area due to insurance reasons. They charged me 44 bucks to tell me that i needed 1825.00 worth of work to my front end..I told them them that there was no way my truck has these problems because we checked it out before i brought it to them. ... Well needless to say my truck is ok and i had a tire company align it. I would have never thought a dealership would be this way. I really thought they were on the up and up and now am very disappointed . You cant trust anyone any more
Especially Dealer's!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Find a better dealer.

Hell I just had a car come in that an independent reccomended ball joints and motor mounts on (1600 or so). Had my tech double check the reccomendation, no problems with either the ball joints or mounts.

Find a place you can trust and go there, I know I wouldent sell anything that wasnt needed.

·
Diesel Head
2,692 Posts
that is the truth i had a little old lady come into my shop a few months ago and tell me she is here for her 6 month tune up i looked at her puzzeld and she asked if we can do it cheaper that 800 plus tax... i changed the oil and said she was good to go 37$ everything was new on it... told her i would see her in 6 months... asked what they did and she said she dosent know but every six months its at least 800 but her car runs great.... i am not sure how some people sleep at night...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
OP, are you going to do anything of consequence such as name the delership, complain to a higher power, etc, or did u just wanna vent? Either way, its a sad but common occurrence.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
"Stealer"ships! :doh:

Worked in 'em, and that's why I don't now. Didn't like "upsale" of parts that the service writer WANTED to sell... And I didn't want to sell anything to a customer that didn't NEED it.

The ball joint thing, that would burn me up! But ckanderson is correct. Find another, even if you have to drive a ways. :thumbsup:

And $800 every 6 months!?! For probably no more than an oil change?! Hope the Devil himself has a special place in HELL for those type of people! :hehe:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
OP, are you going to do anything of consequence such as name the delership, complain to a higher power, etc, or did u just wanna vent? Either way, its a sad but common occurrence.
I agree. Write the Service manager and Dodge's customer assistance center a letter explaining exactly what happened. You might not get anywhere, but it wont go unnoticed (at least not at the dealership I work at).

·
Registered
508 Posts
:agree2:

I would not only write but call as well.. The economy is tough and no one should spend money they don't need too... That being said the technicians are "flat rate" and get paid by what they work on hour wise.. So that would have been a/b a 10 - 12 hour ticket for him...

Every dealership I've even been to has "showed" me what was wrong...

But I would defintely give them a Jason A** chewing.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Learn to do your own work and maintenance. This forum gives you access to some great information and other members who are more than happy to help. I used this forum to install ball joints, hub conversion, brakes. oil bypass and steering box stabilizer. I still have to learn how to drain and flush my auto trans but I know if I search on here I will learn how to do that to...
I have had my rig into a stealer ship ONCE and they wanted to soak me for $149 to replace my license plate lights. I used some steel wool to remove some corrosion and problem fixed. Cost...$0

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I forgot to add additional fuel filter system.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quilbilly i do do my own repairs and i consider myself a darn good mechanic. I don't have an alignment machine and to back me up i needed an ase shop to look at this. There is no way i would let anyone do repairs unless i was sure i could not do them. I have a 9000 lb post lift and a garage most shops would envy. I brought to a dodge dealership because i thought i would get a proper alignment for my truck.lol.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Yeah I know I'll never bring anything back to a dealer again. Before I became a HD mechanic a fews years ago I brought my truck to a little shop in the next town that is very trustworthy. Always showed me what was wrong if there was anything. It is worth the drive to get good service. DYI articles have saved me a bunch of $$$ on my truck. I know on Doghouse Diesel's website there is a lot of great articles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts