Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the p003a code pop on my truck, took it to dealership thinking no way could it be that bad at 58K miles. Dealership just called me and says Turbo Actuator needs replaced and it's $3669.00

What the actual fffffff, does this sound right?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
If you're having them do it, yup

You could do it yourself and calibrate it with alfaOBD.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well crap, just bought a different BT obd for the Jeep.

looks like reman actuator is $500ish?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Probably. New look to be about 1100. I'm not sure of the success rate of reman'd units.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
even then....service writer said "we have the part, and it's about 3 hours to replace, might get it done today".

Anyway, it needs done. Not getting full boost and no exhaust brake at all. I have left a message for a couple of other local shops.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Well if it needs to get done, it needs to get done.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a couple of calls out right now. I am not completely mechanically inept, but I have never touched a turbo in my life.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Why would this not be covered under the power train warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I would agree, it should be covered but the wording is a little odd. I think we have seen some cover it and others not. Its getting a little shocking how many we are seeing fail well under 100K miles. I would be screaming, this is a very expensive repair within the warranty period.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
He could just swap the actuator if the turbo is fine. Or a whole turbo if he could find one. Or do a swap to a fixed blade. Cheapest option is likely find someone else who did a swap and grab their used turbo for cheap.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They say turbo is fine. I also asked for a printed work quote, sent me a one line "turbo actuator, 2 gal of coolant: $3669 tax etc $3981" printout. No breakdown of parts and labor, what a joke. I will probably call the service manager tomorrow just to but I am picking it up.

Hopefully one of the local shops replies relatively quickly, thankfully it's my 2nd vehicle.

I will keep an eye out for a swap, or just buy a new actuator.

·
Supporting Vendors
156 Posts
Had the p003a code pop on my truck, took it to dealership thinking no way could it be that bad at 58K miles. Dealership just called me and says Turbo Actuator needs replaced and it's $3669.00

What the actual fffffff, does this sound right?
Dealerships never have good news! Depending on how you want to keep the truck, there are other options for less money if you're good with a wrench.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts