Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post, so lets not bet up the new guy too bad. I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 with automatic and Cummins Turbo. I have owned the truck for 5 months and it's got 4,600 miles on it. On Monday the check engine light came on. There were no signs of trouble or performance problems. I went to the dealer on Tuesday for a checkup. The dealer called me back and said I add an issue associated with the turbo and they needed to order parts. They went on to say the repairs would take about 14 hours and they would have to drive the truck 175 miles after the repairs. They also said they needed to clean some small tubing or piping. The parts would not be in for one to two weeks so they said it was OK to drive the truck in the meantime. They also said they have had to perform this maintenance on several similar trucks. Am I not being told the whole story or what? Somebody out there must have had a similar experience. Can someone tell me what's really going on?

· Registered
135 Posts
drive the truck 175 miles after repairs?I'm callin BS on that

· Registered
121 Posts
The turbo is filling up with soot. Solution: disconnect the EGR valve. Learn to live with the CEL or become good friends with the dealership.

· Registered
3 Posts
Documentation is key....

Get specifics about which codes were shown in the computer and take notes in case they can't get this fixed in a reasonable amount of trips to the dealer.
Ask questions, get names, Keep every scrap of paper and take notes. You may need this one day.
If they don't think they can pull the wool over your eyes maybe they will be more open and honest with you.
Become known as the "Really nice guy that can't be B.S.ed"

· Registered
200 Posts
Hi, this is my first post, so lets not bet up the new guy too bad. I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 with automatic and Cummins Turbo. I have owned the truck for 5 months and it's got 4,600 miles on it. On Monday the check engine light came on. There were no signs of trouble or performance problems. I went to the dealer on Tuesday for a checkup. The dealer called me back and said I add an issue associated with the turbo and they needed to order parts. They went on to say the repairs would take about 14 hours and they would have to drive the truck 175 miles after the repairs. They also said they needed to clean some small tubing or piping. The parts would not be in for one to two weeks so they said it was OK to drive the truck in the meantime. They also said they have had to perform this maintenance on several similar trucks. Am I not being told the whole story or what? Somebody out there must have had a similar experience. Can someone tell me what's really going on?
to do the tsb right chrysler pay 13.7 hr to do the job i have seen some pipes pluged that you have replace them the only thing is driving the 175mile we do about 25mile on every one

· Registered
417 Posts
sounds like it is time to get a new dealer.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the information. I spoke to the dealer again today. They have a turbo on order and plan to replace the EGR, a sensor, clean or replace a tube, and the turbo, if necessary. They also said they will do a reflash and hook up a monitor to the truck and drive it for a minimum of 125 miles to make sure everything is working correctly (may have been my error on the 175 miles originally stated).

I've also been doing alot of searches on Google about dpf/egr related problems. I've seen a couple of post on blogs about the oil level rising on the 6.7 Cummins. I am having the same issue. The oil level has increased about 1 to 2 quarts on my truck in only 2,100 miles. I've also noticed the oil is getting extremey black very quickly after an oil change. Can anyone offer any suggestions why the oil level is increasing? When I asked the dealer, they stated this was not possible.

Thanks again,
Bill Austin
San Jose, CA

· Premium Member
1,840 Posts
My oil rises 2 quarts very quickly after every oil change (even after the dpf fell off) the dealer just blew me off when I asked about pulling an oil sample to check for fuel in the oil. Thinking about having the oil tested myself!

· Registered
318 Posts
Hi Bill Austin

Actually by your description the dealer (Service Advisor or Manager) gave you a fairly good overview. On your call back for more information, they gave you even more specifics. All things considered not a bad job at all.

In a VERY quick summary, I’ll elaborate a bit more. Nobody is going to dispute the fact that Cummins did not get the whole package dialed in right out of the gate in both hardware & software in regard to engine controls and after-treatments.

Although the basic design was 2010 EPA compliant and provide some best in class in torque & horsepower, some functional issues quickly arose.

Soot related failures in the form of clogging DPF’s (Diesel Particulate Filter), Mechanical components of the turbo and EGR valve and passages. The engine control software wasn’t any better. Soon after release,
These issues began to rear their ugly heads. And just like the “whack a mole” popup game at the carnival, no sooner would the factory whack one issue, another would pop up.

At this point in time, after more than a dozen Technical Service Bulletins, which includes revised parts, service procedures and software the situation appears to be under control. Since the latest bulletin, which supercedes and/or includes other technical bulletins, IF done correctly, will render the engine controls to a level of expected functionality as intended by the designers.

Now bear in mind that while what I just described was unraveling, the performance enthusiasts started to re-engineer the product to their own version of what it should be. So here you are in the midst of the quagmire, asking wassup with that?

My view is from the standpoint of making and keeping the vehicle performing to the levels intended by the designers, manufacturer and the law of the land. However that is not the view of the majority on this site.

Now I am not one to stand in someone’s way if they wish to engage in self-destructive behavior. There are sub-forums here, expressly for that purpose. However I’ll give you my opinion in a short metaphor.
Modifying you vehicle often is similar to snorting cocaine, “one mod is too many, a thousand is not enough”.

If you are so inclined you may want to read some of the threads titled:
My warranty is voided.
I just blew my head gasket.
My transmission is screwed. Or my clutch is slipping.
What are these codes?
Help………

If you read every thread in the 6.7 sections, you will see a pattern developing.

OK/ end rant.

Charlie

· Premium Member
1,840 Posts
I almost agree with that I just dont care anything about keeping my truck as the allmighty goverment intended(IT'S MY AIR TO GLOBAL WARMING IS A HOAX AND DIESELS ARE SUPPOSED TO SMOKE!!! TAKE THAT EPA BUT WIPES)

· Registered
622 Posts
At this point in time, after more than a dozen Technical Service Bulletins, which includes revised parts, service procedures and software the situation appears to be under control. Since the latest bulletin, which supercedes and/or includes other technical bulletins, IF done correctly, will render the engine controls to a level of expected functionality as intended by the designers.
Charlie
It's not quite fixed yet Charlie. P0401 is still an issue even with all the updates on a bone stock truck. I'm still experiencing it and I've got the latest flash, a new EGR valve and frankly their stumped as to what to do next. I'm still getting CEL's although much less frequently. And what revised parts are you referring to? The turbo? I'm curious as that's the only thing I've heard of thats possibly changed.

· Registered
318 Posts
Hi
The EGR is a new/ revised part. The 02 sensors are revised as well. The turbo's have been modified a few times from the original, so as to have a bit wider tolerances to minimize mechanical sticking of the EB. Other parts gets modified constantly but we are not told specifics.

P0401 = EGR system performance.

I'm looking at the diagnostic flow chart and it's not rocket science. Sometimes a tech or a dealer is hesitant to throw a "part dart" when all else fails. (Replace a likely part by guestimation). The TSB's outlines clearly that the entire intake and exhaust system must be brought to a "like new"state and all parts functioning correctly then the system will operate with expected durability.

The 6.7 diesel is a niche area of service & repair for some dealers. Not all of them have techs that are up to speed.However they all have access to the cummins technical advisors on the star hotline if they get stumped.

Anyhow once you get your issues resolved, you should expect to get 100,000 to 200,000 miles with just some normal maintenance. IE oil changes, air filter, fuel filters , CCV filter,& EGR cleaning about every 60,000 miles also.

Charlie

· Registered
318 Posts
Charlie, I hope you're not talking about 100-200k out of the motor? I'm assuming you mean before the big parts start to take a dump like injectors, turbo, DPF, etc.?

When was the 02 revision, do you know?
Hi
The new 02's have been out for about a year now.
Yes I do mean normal wear out of parts like injectors & turbos. The DPF (F=filter), regenerates soot, but ash cannot be regenerated. Once full with ash must be replaced. There are no published specs, but some tech reps say this will be around 125k. The 5.9 engine from what I understand had an expected overhaul life of around 500,000 miles. We know that it could be much more depending on usage. More often than not the truck fell apart or rusted out around the motor. The 6.7 with more emission devices I have heard the number bounced around 350,000 miles before expected overhaul. Still plenty of room for the truck to fall apart around the motor. Although most people are complaining about the emission stuff wearing out the motor, it seems like they are blowing them up with extensive mods and driving habits beyond anybody's wildest immagination. Spend a day on you tube and watch how these trucks are being driven after they are modified. OOPS , I feel another rant coming on, and it's Sunday. Have a great day.
Charlie

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.