Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently brought my truck in for a blown transmission and to diagnose my puff of white smoke on startup after the truck sits for 8+ hours. The good news is they covered my transmission under warranty, 5th & 6th gears were toast, the bad news is after testing the injectors and running a cylinder efficiency test it was determined the injectors are fine and cylinders 1-5 are good however #6 cylinder is running at 93-95% efficiency, spec is 100-105%. Tech stated #6 is heat soaked due to aftermarket exhaust and programmer. He’s recommending a titanium sleeve and piston?

How long do I have on #6 before it lets go?

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I would get them to change the injector and see if the 6th cylinder diagnostics change before I would let them start with the repairs they mentioned.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
How long have you noticed the smoke? Is it just a quick puff? What setting have you been running and how long have you been deleted? Mine does the same every morning on start and I was never worried until I read this post. Mine is just one quick puff and it goes right away. I have been told by others that it is normal with the deletes. I haven't noticed any other ill effects. My milage is the same. What are your egt's at idle when in gear after the truck warms up? Mine are 400-420 degrees. I still have the stock muffler.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
How long have you noticed the smoke? Is it just a quick puff? What setting have you been running and how long have you been deleted? Mine does the same every morning on start and I was never worried until I read this post. Mine is just one quick puff and it goes right away. I have been told by others that it is normal with the deletes. I haven't noticed any other ill effects. My milage is the same. What are your egt's at idle when in gear after the truck warms up?
Also interested i noticed some this morning tomorrow if i can i want to have someone start it and have me watch a little closer.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I just started mine up and it put a very small puff out and it's been sitting for 6 hours:confused013: I sure hope everything is fine. I don't think it did it until I switched from Royal Purple back to Rotella synthetic.

·
Registered
398 Posts
For a little piece of mind for the rest of you, my 06 5.9L did that since it had about 35K miles on it. Truck was bone stock the whole time until about 2 months before I traded it in. Never used any oil, always ran great, and that was pulling loaded trailers, a full bed of topsoil/mulch/grass, and snowplowing the crap out of it! Not sure that I would worry about just a small puff at startup.
Not that I am a diesel guru like a lot of other guys on here, the small once in a while puff is usually indicative of a valve seal as far as I have ever had any experience.
Its when it starts up and keeps smoking for a little bit that I would start worrying. Just my .02

·
Registered
674 Posts
Just chiming in ............................ :popcorn:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a little background. I currently have 30,000 miles on the truck, 10,000 with the Black Maxx and 5” turbo back exhaust. I usually ran the standard BM tune on the wild setting, until the last month when I noticed the tranny going I ran the BM with no power. I rarely tow and when I do it’s just been my boat and enclosed snowmobile trailer. I installed both last October and really didn’t take notice of any smoke until the tranny issue popped up. I figured I would have the (quick) Puff of smoke checked out when the truck went in for a tranny rebuild.

The tech asked me to bring the truck in next Wednesday after he is done working so we can run the efficiency test again, off the clock. He asked me to leave the programming on the truck to see if that changes anything.

What other testing can be done to determine why the #6 cylinder is running out of spec?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long have you noticed the smoke? Is it just a quick puff? What setting have you been running and how long have you been deleted? Mine does the same every morning on start and I was never worried until I read this post. Mine is just one quick puff and it goes right away. I have been told by others that it is normal with the deletes. I haven't noticed any other ill effects. My milage is the same. What are your egt's at idle when in gear after the truck warms up? Mine are 400-420 degrees. I still have the stock muffler.
I just noticed the smoke in the last month, not sure if it's been there since deletes as I live in MN and it had been cold since I installed.

The puff of smoke is quick maybe 1/2 second after initial start I get a pretty good puff and then it's gone. It's only when the truck sits for 8 or more hours.

It doesn't smell like antifreeze or raw diesel fuel.

I haven't had any changes to fuel mileage...it still sucks:doh:

I'm running the same EGT's at idle as you are.

Muffler is gone.

The truck really runs good and I just about %[email protected]$ when I picked it up, I was excited the the dealer covered the tranny under warranty but they killed enthusiasm pretty quick with the news on the motor.

Reactions: seanth468

·
Registered
893 Posts
Mine also did the same thing. The stealership told me the same sort of things. long story short, it turned out my egr cooler was not working right. It had a broken spring or something. Any way as you can see in my sig that all fell off and all white smoke on start went with it.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
I have seen this quite a bit with 6.7 deleted trucks. 95% is perfectly acceptable. Get a second opinion. Have someone do a leak down test on each cylinder.

Sounds to me like someone is trying to take advantage of you, no matter how nice the dude may seem. His job id to fix trucks, thats a spendy fix that will benefit him, not you.

The truck looks bad a$$ by the way!

·
Registered
893 Posts
do you still have a cooler ? if so take it off

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have seen this quite a bit with 6.7 deleted trucks. 95% is perfectly acceptable. Get a second opinion. Have someone do a leak down test on each cylinder.

Sounds to me like someone is trying to take advantage of you, no matter how nice the dude may seem. His job id to fix trucks, thats a spendy fix that will benefit him, not you.

The truck looks bad a$$ by the way!
I'm trying to find a shop I can bring it to for a second opinion, the tech told me the dealership would not be able to perform the rebuild with titanium sleeve as Dodge will not allow dealers to install anything but the OEM. He said I can buy them through the dealership just can't have it installed, so he's not looking for the job?

He did also state if it were his truck he would continue to drive it and I may be just fine. Maybe their just looking to cover there arse I don't know??

Thanks for the compliment and advice:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
:hehe: I was thinking the same thing:rof

Those fawkers aren't even imaginative with their lying.

"USE BIG WORDS AND PEOPLE WILL THINK I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT AND SPEND MONEY"

also bro,

Keep in mind your engine hasn't even broke in yet. Your piston rings will continue to shrink and expand till you hit about 100,000 miles.......give or take depending on driving habits

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
like some others have stated, on normal cold start up a small white puff of smoke is normal, when you crank the engine to start it up, it cranks over a few times before starting, thus putting raw fuel into the engine that is pushed out with out getting igniting, this is the little puff of smoke that most get on cold start up, if it keeps putting out white smoke after it has been started and running that is when you need to worry, here is a pic of my old 07.5 when i had a bad piston, no matter the temp outside the truck would put out white smoke like this until the engine was warmed up.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
I'm trying to find a shop I can bring it to for a second opinion, the tech told me the dealership would not be able to perform the rebuild with titanium sleeve as Dodge will not allow dealers to install anything but the OEM. He said I can buy them through the dealership just can't have it installed, so he's not looking for the job?

He did also state if it were his truck he would continue to drive it and I may be just fine. Maybe their just looking to cover there arse I don't know??

Thanks for the compliment and advice:thumbsup:

The number 5 and 6 cylinders do get hot, the best way to keep them cool is do an EGR cooler delete from H&S and then get yourself a BD Diesel exhaust manifold.

Out of all the crap I've bolted onto my truck to cool down EGT's the BD manifold made the best difference according to the gauges. I have always had a gauges tapped right between 5 and 6 because I know it's a hot spot. I dropped 140° at that spot when I added the manifold.

Best of luck bud.

And just a little FYI I have seen and helped with 50+ engine rebuilds, never heard of a titanium sleeve:chicken:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The number 5 and 6 cylinders do get hot, the best way to keep them cool is do an EGR cooler delete from H&S and then get yourself a BD Diesel exhaust manifold.

Out of all the crap I've bolted onto my truck to cool down EGT's the BD manifold made the best difference according to the gauges. I have always had a gauges tapped right between 5 and 6 because I know it's a hot spot. I dropped 140° at that spot when I added the manifold.

Best of luck bud.

And just a little FYI I have seen and helped with 50+ engine rebuilds, never heard of a titanium sleeve:chicken:
I will order up the cooler delete and report back. Thanks for everyone's help and input, I'm breathing a little bit easier today.

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
....... SOOOOO glad i own a 12v

1 - 20 of 42 Posts