Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into replacing my current truck with a 19 mostly due to the ridiculous repair of the drag link, also doesn’t hurt that the new 19’s have quite a few goodies. I’m looking at a 3500 mega cab Laramie with an msrp of 75k and they are willing to do 14K off. That’s roughly 19%. How does this compare to some of the deals you guys got when buying yours?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are saying they are adding a rebate for financing through Chrysler, only problem is that it’s a slightly high interest rate and they told me that I have to keep it for 6 months before I can refinance to my lower rate. Also my bank won’t finance the truck until it’s registered in my state of California. I’ll need to ask them if there will be any issues refinancing my truck after 6 months.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
That’s about the deal I got on my new one percentage wise. I think that must be about the going rate on the 19s as they transition to the 2020 production.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
They are saying they are adding a rebate for financing through Chrysler, only problem is that it’s a slightly high interest rate and they told me that I have to keep it for 6 months before I can refinance to my lower rate. Also my bank won’t finance the truck until it’s registered in my state of California. I’ll need to ask them if there will be any issues refinancing my truck after 6 months.
What dealer told you that you can't refinance for six months?

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
You should be able to get that deal locally. Is it Fed or 50 state, CA certified? If not you can not register it in CA. Do the math, the interest rate difference for that period is barely countable. What are the rates they are giving, comparing to. Do they have 0% without the $1000 rebate? If so that is a better deal.

Reactions: cumminsturbofreak

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Is it Fed or 50 state, CA certified? If not you can not register it in CA. Do the math, the interest rate difference for that period is barely countable. What are the rates they are giving, comparing to. Do they have 0% without the $1000 rebate? If so that is a better deal.
There’s not a new vehicle manufactured in the USA today that isn’t eligible for sale in CA. Where have you been for the last 10 or 15 years....if not longer?

As to the 0% vs the $1,000 rebate......not near enough information provided for you to make that claim.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My local dealers are touting the current “employee pricing” as the best deal you’ll ever get, which only accounts for about 12% off (not including the 1K rebate). No where near the 20%-25% off some are reporting. Is the employee pricing a factory subsidized promo, and if so, wouldn’t that mean even greater discounts? I was seeing advertised discounts previously that were in the same range as what they are now calling employee pricing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
891 Posts
. Do they have 0% without the $1000 rebate? If so that is a better deal.
This is what I did.

But damn, :shock: when I get the bill every month. At least I'll own my truck sooner.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Seems like a good deal. Yes the finance for 6 months to get the discount is real. If you're financing anyway, you can amortize it over 6 months, Ram rate vs the rate you think you can get. It's probably considerably less than $1000 extra interest.
Idk about CA laws though...seems weird a bank wouldn't finance it if you bought out of state, but if that's really a law and not a "rule" your bank has, then you need to find financing anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Personally, I would stay away from that dealer for the sake of they lied to you. 9 out of 10 car loans you can refinance the day you walk out of the dealer. The only reason they told you that you have to wait 6 months is because that is the waiting period they have to wait to make their commission on your loan. If you refinance or payoff your loan before the 6 months, they don't make their money on your finance deal. The waiting period varies too, for some it is 3 months, for others it is 6 or 9 months.

They are selling a commodity. You can buy the same thing from literally thousands of other places. Tell them you want your own financing and you want the lower price with it. If they dont bite (and they might not) just go to the next place that might. 19% off is not bad or great, it is about the going rate.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
^ Wow, you're one tough customer! How many dealers have said "Yessuh, Mr Bigtimm, no problem, we'll give you a deal we don't give anybody else! Sorry sur..."

What would make you think they lied? Their loan, their terms. And 9 out of 10 financing discounts have a minimal term you have to carry the loan before re-financing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
^ Wow, you're one tough customer! How many dealers have said "Yessuh, Mr Bigtimm, no problem, we'll give you a deal we don't give anybody else! Sorry sur..."

What would make you think they lied? Their loan, their terms. And 9 out of 10 financing discounts have a minimal term you have to carry the loan before re-financing.
Ha! No they aren't usually that nice. It takes a few tries before a dealer will give me what I am looking for. I like to find a dealer that has a great price but with Chrysler financing only, for example. Then ill ask if they can give me that same deal with my own financing or with a lower rate. (Not the 6-7% Chrysler rate) Have I been told no? Most of the time. After a while I can usually find a dealer to give me a yes. They usually aren't so friendly with me anymore though, especially after I kindly pass on their extended warranties and undercoatings and whatnot.

The lie that I was referring to was the minimal term to carry the loan as you call it. I have been told that before when buying a car and I just accepted it. Once I signed all the paperwork I read through all of the "terms and conditions" and never saw it in the paperwork. I even called the bank and they said I can pay off the loan day 1 if I wanted. The lady said that occasionally the only penalty for that would be an early payoff fee but she said my loan (and most) don't have that. SO I "paid off" the loan with another loan from a different bank at half the interest rate, and did that without issue. The only "issue" with it is the dealer doesn't get their commission on selling the loan she told me.

This was my experience when buying a certified pre-owned Camry for the wife at a Toyota dealership 5 years ago through Toyota financial. Got $500 off for financing with them. Chrysler may very well be different. I don't have experience with them but after looking into it myself, most of the time people are told they need to carry a loan for so long is only so the dealer can get their commission and is not usually in the agreement the customer signs.

I am not saying this is always the case, I just ask that you look into it for yourself to see if it applies to you. It doesn't hurt to make a few phone calls.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It’s through Chrysler capital and I called them this morning and asked if their loans have any early payoff penalties and they said “no”. The problem with my credit unions is that they will only finance the truck if it’s registered in California. I have to wait til I register it here before I can refinance it. I have also found out through some forums with similar questions regarding the 6 month wait and they also said what you guys are saying and that it’s to get their kickback from the financial institution.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Dealer just north of San Antonio is doing 21% off MSRP on mega cabs. That is before the rebates. They are doing 25% off on 2500's and 35% off on 1500's.

https://www.boernedodge.com/auto/new-2019-ram-3500-laramie-boerne-tx/41134047/
I would consider trading my 2017 f250 if those prices are for real.

I guess looking at Dennis Dillon, they might not be too far off. Hopefully those prices don’t include every single potential rebate out there.

A phone call might be in order.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Dealer just north of San Antonio is doing 21% off MSRP on mega cabs. That is before the rebates. They are doing 25% off on 2500's and 35% off on 1500's.

https://www.boernedodge.com/auto/new-2019-ram-3500-laramie-boerne-tx/41134047/
I would consider trading my 2017 f250 if those prices are for real.

I guess looking at Dennis Dillon, they might not be too far off. Hopefully those prices don’t include every single potential rebate out there.

A phone call might be in order.
I’m interested to know if this is legit as well. Please share your experience if you decide to call. Thx

·
Registered
339 Posts
I’m interested to know if this is legit as well. Please share your experience if you decide to call. Thx
That dealer claims they have the lowest prices in a 500 mile radius of San Antonio. Might be worth a call.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts