Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a 2001 3500 Auto, completely stock, no mods, 110,000 miles. Truck ran fine last night, got up to leave the next morning and could not get it to start. It spins over but just won't hit. We changed the fuel filter. No luck. While the filter was out, we turned the ignition on and the lift pump seemed to be working. Would like to know if anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well I have seen a lot of these problems. The injectors could cause it. Also have seen that the ground wires can cause this it wont start. The lift pump can run but not put enough flow out to feed the pump. I would flow test the pump and pressure test it. I am sure that more people can help you here then I can. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Does it have a fuel shut off like the older trucks. Mine was not working on my 97, did the exact same thing, turn over but no fire.

·
SuperDuperMod
2,816 Posts
crack an injector line and see if you have fuel at the injectors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try the injectors tomorrow. Where would the fuel shut off be on the 2001?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
A friend of mine has a 2001 3500 Auto, completely stock, no mods, 110,000 miles. Truck ran fine last night, got up to leave the next morning and could not get it to start. It spins over but just won't hit. We changed the fuel filter. No luck. While the filter was out, we turned the ignition on and the lift pump seemed to be working. Would like to know if anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks
Yeah I got a few suggestion to try...

Fuel pump diagnostics...
Lift Pump Diagnostics

Just because the pump is making noise doesn't mean its pumping! Fuel pressure gauge is highly recommended!

Error code dump...
OBD II Error Codes

Does it have a fuel shut off like the older trucks. Mine was not working on my 97, did the exact same thing, turn over but no fire.
98.5 to 02 don't have it... It all built internally to the VP44 and controlled solely by the VP44 and ECM... Error codes will be displayed if there is a problem (typically).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got a chance to check the codes today,had a P1693

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Just got a chance to check the codes today,had a P1693
P1693 means there is more codes in either the ECM/PCM so check again...:thud:

·
Registered
316 Posts
do the key trick and see what codes it throws I think it works int the 01's sounds like a inj. pump

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts