Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ok i know this has been discussed before i searched it up but couldnt find exactly what im looking for.. I dont mean to repost but if yall could help me id appreciate it. ok so the past week my trucks pedal will just go dead. i can put it all the way to the floor and it just wont go anywhere. i have to pump the gas a few times and finally it will kick in. a check engine light does come on and it says the code for tps or apps. i always clear it with my bullydog programmer restart the truck and its good for another few days. well recently its been happening more often maybe once a day, well it happened today and i just kept driving instead of clearing the check engine light. well the check engine light went off by itself but im still getting a dead pedal every once in awhile. why is it doing this?

·
Registered
627 Posts
The light will probably go off. Mine did this as well. Its when the slider in the apps/tps wears out and the contacts can't feel the slider touching them anymore, then it throws a code and puts the truck in limp mode so to speak. Just replace the apps/tps sensor, there about 100 bucks or so.
Alliant AP63458 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The light will probably go off. Mine did this as well. Its when the slider in the apps/tps wears out and the contacts can't feel the slider touching them anymore, then it throws a code and puts the truck in limp mode so to speak. Just replace the apps/tps sensor, there about 100 bucks or so.
Alliant AP63458 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS)
Alliant Power APPS Sensor Install - 2003 Dodge Cummins - YouTube
awesome thank you for the quick reply. tps/apps is the same sensor? thats the part that has me confused.. still new to all this and trying to understand it ALSO is there a different sensor for a automatic tranny or are they the same cause i looked at the link you put up and then did a search of mine and ended up seeing a automatic apps for 04 2500 and it was like 300 dollars.

·
Registered
627 Posts
no as far as i know they are the same sensor. I have an 04 3500 with an automatic and i used that exact sensor that i gave the link to. You might have found the one where the whole assembly comes (sensor/bracket/cables). I just replaced the sensor on mine and it worked.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no as far as i know they are the same sensor. I have an 04 3500 with an automatic and i used that exact sensor that i gave the link to. You might have found the one where the whole assembly comes (sensor/bracket/cables). I just replaced the sensor on mine and it worked.
okay i appreciate it. ill be doing this on next paycheck. being in college i cant get in nearly as many hours as i want in work so ill have to wait till next pay check. dead pedal in a intersection isnt very fun tho. thanks for the info

·
Registered
627 Posts
okay i appreciate it. ill be doing this on next paycheck. being in college i cant get in nearly as many hours as i want in work so ill have to wait till next pay check. dead pedal in a intersection isnt very fun tho. thanks for the info
Haha, yeah i am in high school and its hard to afford stuff when your paying for fuel and working part time. I remember one time i got stranded leaving the approach of my local tire shop and i had some people stuck behind me for a couple minutes until the truck decided it wanted to go again.

Reactions: Tylercho

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, yeah i am in high school and its hard to afford stuff when your paying for fuel and working part time. I remember one time i got stranded leaving the approach of my local tire shop and i had some people stuck behind me for a couple minutes until the truck decided it wanted to go again.
haha im in the same situation daily now.. but it always happens to work again when i have the pedal all the way down and then i end up black smoking all over the people behind me and they get so pissed. but they dont realize im not trying to do it on purpose. do you know where exactly the sensor is located?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Lol sounds about right hah. Here is a different video that shows it better and is shorter and more to the point. At 1:55 is where i just swapped sensors and calibrated it with the foot pedal like he does later in the vid, i didn't take those cables off or anything i don't recall.
APPS or TPS Sensor Change on a Dodge Cummins - YouTube

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.