Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A 98.5 2500 4X4 CTD WITH AUTO TRANS. HAVE BEEN GETTING DEAD PEDAL BUT ONLY HAPPENS AROUND 40 TO 50 MPH. HAVE NOT SCANNED FOR CODES YET. EVERYONE I TALK TO SAYS VP44 FAILURE. SEEMS LIKE A PUMP FAILURE WOULD NOT AFFECT ONLY A CERTAIN SPEED. GETTING READY TO DRIVE FROM SOUTH CAROLINA TO MIAMI FLORIDA, AND AM HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS ABOUT DRIVING TRUCK. HAVE SET TPS VOLTAGE AND PERFORMED APPS RESET AND NEITHER SEEMED TO HELP. I HAVE HEARD ABOUT POSSIBLE GROUND WIRE PROBLEMS. CAN ANYONE HELP OR HAS ANYONE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM?:peelout

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
VP44 or Lift Pump. do u have a Fuel Pressure gauge??? If so what is the pressure, If not READ IT!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hate to tell you, but mine did the same thing. drive and all of a sudden no power - dead pedal. that vp will get worse and leave you walking. change it out, they are easy, 2-4hrs depending on experience. if you need one, let me know...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem, reset APPS, replaced APPS etc. Progressively got worse, found out it was the VP44 dying all along. Decided to replace it before it left me stranded. First time working on a diesel; no big deal and was done in about three hours. Suggest you replace cam sensor while your at it. Much easier now vs. when the VP44 is installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I have a fuel presure warning light I put on it about 6 months ago but other than that I haven't checked the presure. It is getting worse at first it only did it every 3 or 4 times I drove it know it is doing almost every time and only right after lock up kicks in. If i stay at a certain speed like between 45 and 55 after 55 it takes off just fine. If I just stay in it like getting on the interstate it doesn't do it, it goes right through till I am up to speed 70,75 or so just if I am in a 45 or 55 mph zone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
new member of dead injector pump club

I bought a 2000 3500 Quad Cab about a month ago. It had 171k miles on it. I really didn't have any history on the truck, but it was clean and ran really well when I got it. My first two tanks of fuel resulted in 20 mpg. I was pleased.

Late last week, I started getting the dead pedal... the day after I put a dose of Power Service additive to my tank. At first, I thought I had a tranny issue, but I narrowed it down to dead-pedal. A couple days later, I noticed that my fuel consumption was not as good as before. Something was wrong.

Hoping for a cheap solution, I replaced the fuel filter. The filter was pretty nasty, and the container had a significant amount of dirt in it. Is that normal, or the sign of a truck that hasn't been well-cared-for?

After I changed the filter, I checked the fuel pressure, both before and after the filter. At idle, I had ~14 psi, and while driving, the pressure dropped to 10 psi. I think that is normal.... drat... probably not lift pump.

Is there anything else I need to check or does my economic stimulus check go toward a new injector pump? :CRY:

silverram323.... know where I can get a pump for a good price?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts