Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98.5 3500. Very cold here, about -30. Don’t have a block heater yet. Cycled my grid heater 3 times, tried to start it and starter cranks for about 10 seconds before it dies down slower and slower. Usually will jump but wouldn’t jump today. Brand new batteries, all good connections. Never an issue until it gets cold. Please any help appreciated. Trying to get my truck into the garage so I can install my block heater and new blower motor.

3,439 Posts
Get a space heater and a tarp and set it on the ground underneath the truck. Pay close attention. Surprising how quick it'll heat with the engine bay or cab fully tarped in. Point the heater directly at the lowest point of oil pan.

· Bob be Bob
4,531 Posts
Great advice from someone that lives in the cold country himself.
When I was a teen living up there, we made sure to nose against a wall
to keep the wind out and laid a horse blanket over the hood as well.

Still to this day I'm not sure the blanket did anything on it's own.
With a heater for sure. Maybe I'm just not remembering that part?

· Registered
25,668 Posts
Step one, get in 2nd car and go to town and pickup a block heater cored from Cummins or Dodge, or maybe some part stores. Alternate, online.
Truck already has heater element.

Two, install cord, plug onto heater behind oil filter.

Three, plug in 3 hours to overnight.

Additional, Don't burn up starter in the mean time.
Maybe try 5-30W motor oil in winter.

Temp alternative, small electric heater or 250W heat lamp safely under truck with some tarp or cardboard skirting.

What group size are your batteries and are your terminals cleaned shiny inside?

· Registered
1,561 Posts
These all come with bock heaters....
NEVER run the engine with them plugged in, as they can catch a air bubble going past and burn out instantly

· Registered
2000 Ram 2500 24v SLT Laramie 4x4, 47re automatic
318 Posts
These all come with bock heaters....
NEVER run the engine with them plugged in, as they can catch a air bubble going past and burn out instantly
I've used the remote starter on my truck to start it while plugged in a thousand times over the many years I've owned my truck and have never had it burn out the block heater.
I replaced the block heater once, and it wasn't because the old one still did not work, I simply wanted a new one in it.

Reactions: krs

· Registered
25,668 Posts
It is the same kind of element in your water heater or on an electric stove but not as hot. It is resistance wire surrounded by porcelain and then wrapped in outer metal.

If your rediator is properly maintained it is 100-98% full all the time. The heater is in the block, not head. It should always be wet and even if some air passes by it for a few seconds it is not going to "burn out instantly" by any means.

· Registered
1,561 Posts
Because four of you have had success does not mean you are correct or I am wrong. The point is,- I did not make this information up.
After owning about ten semi-trucks and several small diesel pick-ups some exp here helps?
i think Bruce Mallinson was the one that informed me about 20 years ago.
He might be an expert?
Do as you wish-I have had to replace a few in the fleet .
Just trying to help, not start a block heater war.

· Registered
2000 Ram 2500 24v SLT Laramie 4x4, 47re automatic
318 Posts
The only problem that may occur would be driving off while still plugged in and damaging the electrical cords.
There is a solution for that :D

· Registered
1,561 Posts
There is one more consideration and remember none of this I made up. Plugged in all the time can cause some kind of electrolysis.
That is what I remember reading, somewhere.
These may have been in the class eight truck books?

· Registered
25,668 Posts
I/we am not saying they don't wear/burn out as any heater element can just that an "air bubble passing by" would instantly burn one out. Just like other elecctrical and heater elements I am sure heat cycles and diesel vibration is hard on them, however solid they are made. I am sure you have had them go bad.

· Registered
1,561 Posts
Without getting into a contest here-
It took me two seconds to find this below.
Through the years I have read many times "don't run engines with it plugged-in."
I no longer have a series 60 or 855 manual - but elsewhere this is stated.
You guys carry on and do as you wish. For me, I am done with this as it is quite elementary.

Here are the few more reasons.

1. Engine heater plugged in while engine is running – The heating element Should Not be energized while starting the engine. The vibrations in conjunction with the added engine heat will cause the element to burn out or rupture. It is also advisable to wait a minimum of 1 minute after unplugging heater before starting engine. Additionally, if the heater is being used on a generator or other stand-by equipment an oil pressure switch for automatic cut-off may be required

PS-yea, the info we can find on the forums.............

· Registered
3,902 Posts
You can start / idle an engine with the block heater plugged in with absolutely no issue. Doing so is darn near SOP for cold climate remote starts. Leaving the block heater plugged in while the engine is idling will not help the engine warm up any faster though.

Relating a novel experience of block heater element failure is one thing. I've no doubt it can and does infrequently occur. Stating it as gospel is another matter.

PPS- The above link does not work. Very much yeah- the info that we get on a forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.