Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just got back from a 9 week trip working overseas and went to take the truck for a spin and it wouldnt start. I put a charger on the truck while I went for some dinner and shopping and when I got home the truck did start. I even had my wife start the truck once while i was gone. I bought the truck brand new at the end of December 08.

Does the computer and memory for the clock and such draw that much to kill 2 batteries that quick? The only accessories added to the truck are the power steps and a brake controller and it sits in a garage. My VW diesel golf started right up with a 4 year old battery.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Dude,

The worst thing you have is the truck just sitting there as you know I am sure. Getting your wife to start the truck ever so often will help, but bottom line here is the battery's Dodge puts on there trucks are the worst on the market...

My old 07 I had that I drove every day and put 185K miles on her in just short of two years had the two batterys not crank her in less than a year... I replaced the batterys and never had a problem after that. I even went so far as to put the batterys on the 07 on the new 09, then put the new batterys off the 09 on the traded in 07.... Yeap, I feel the OEM batterys that Dodge uses to be that bad dude!!! Just buy you some new batterys dude and get the biggest cold crankin amp size you can... There are some bigger than what Dodge uses... You will be glad you did and be sure your wife starts and drives the truck at least once a month, not only helps the batterys, but driving the truck helps keep the seals all lubed and tires from flat spotting.

Now just talking your wife into this might be the expensive part LOL, least it would be for me anyway... My wife hates my trucks and it costs me big time when I go out of town for any time at all and have to hire her for this task LOL...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I should have the wife start it up more but the driving part scares her and me. I think the truck would be better off with dead batteries then her driving it.

I did just drive to Lowes for a few things and the truck started fine but the CEL is on now. I will have to get it scanned to see what it is and get it cleared.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had mine sit for 2 days after a trip that was about 400 miles and then went to start it up to go on another trip and it did the same thing wouldnt start. I had to jump it off and then brought it to the dealership to get it all tested out. they took both batteries out and load tested them 3 times each and then charged them up and never could find anything wrong with them so i guess ill be waiting until it happens again. so far so good though. Oh yeah the truck only has 3000 miles on it. I guess these batteries are just crap as stated above. :confused013:

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
I read another tread where a guy with your generation of truck left his keys in the ignition and drained the batteries in short order. Has something to do with the security system I believe. Of course any computer controlled car will have parasitic loss, including your VW. No battery likes to be completely discharged. I don't care who the manufacture is, so you will probably need to replace them. Trickle chargers are a good investment for those conditions. They will save a battery, and the pain of changing batteries. I would warranty those bad boys. Let us know if the keys were in the truck too.

dude... you won't get flat spots on the tires either... dude...

·
Registered
153 Posts
My guess is that you have something drawing on the batteries. If it were me I'd get out my tester and start doing some checking. Granted, the stock batteries aren't great, but I don't think that is your issue. I'd check those power steps first. Good luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I am going to check and see how much draw there is. I did not have the keys in the ignition while it was sitting. Truck only has 2400 miles right now. I will let you know tomorrow when I do some testing what the draw is. I dont believe that the power steps would draw anything with the doors closed but will be easy enough to check.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
they shouldn't be going dead like that. I had my truck sitting for months before and she fires up every time

·
08 Cummins
540 Posts
I know I should have the wife start it up more but the driving part scares her and me. I think the truck would be better off with dead batteries then her driving it.

I did just drive to Lowes for a few things and the truck started fine but the CEL is on now. I will have to get it scanned to see what it is and get it cleared.
I wonder if she started it up for a minute or so then shut it off. Doing that a few to many times and not allowing it to run long enough to charge the batteries back up, may have put them in the toilet. Just a thought.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drove the truck to Easter dinner and back and the CEL is off now. I asked the wife how long she ran the truck and she said about 15 minutes. She only started it one time about 4 weeks ago during the time I was gone. I will have to do some checking tomorrow and get back with you all.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Sounds like my truck. It runs the batterys dead if it has not been run in awhile. I will admit that we ran the batteries dead by accident a few times out camping (left the doors open with the stereo on too long!). Running them dead probably took some of their limited lifespan out of them. I will have to replace them before next winter probably.

I would unhook them or put a battery minder on it if you are going to park it for more than 4 weeks at a time.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Yeah I am going to check and see how much draw there is. I did not have the keys in the ignition while it was sitting. Truck only has 2400 miles right now. I will let you know tomorrow when I do some testing what the draw is. I dont believe that the power steps would draw anything with the doors closed but will be easy enough to check.
Well that bites. It shouldn't be going dead that fast. Radar detector, aftermarket alarm system? Beyond that check for current draw while pulling fuses I guess.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well that bites. It shouldn't be going dead that fast. Radar detector, aftermarket alarm system? Beyond that check for current draw while pulling fuses I guess.
radar detector is a cordless model 2 AA batteries, and no alarm system. The only thing I have added was the power steps and a Prodigy brake controller and a Ipod adapter that is hooked up to the radio.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Something I forgot to mention here guys, if your still in the cold part of the season and when you turn your key as to start, another item on our trucks that will really wipe out the batterys like the cheap ones Dodge uses is the grid heater!!!

That grid heater comes on and you have the least weak batterys, you can say goodbye to them having enough to crank the truck or worse. My fear and why I just R&R'd them was with how many things we have that are electrically interfaced anymore on the trucks, there would be so many things that might get all screwed up with bad batterys...

·
08 Cummins
540 Posts
Sounds like my truck. It runs the batterys dead if it has not been run in awhile. I will admit that we ran the batteries dead by accident a few times out camping (left the doors open with the stereo on too long!). Running them dead probably took some of their limited lifespan out of them. I will have to replace them before next winter probably.

I would unhook them or put a battery minder on it if you are going to park it for more than 4 weeks at a time.
The only batteries that can be taken down without much effect are deep cycle type. Taking a starting type down just does them in. Sorry to hear about the bad news.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts