Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching around the site but I came up with nothing on this. I want to take the crome off one of the pairs of rims I have. I was wondering if anybody knows for sure if the chrome is spot welded or if it is just crimped near the bead or whatever. I remember someone asking about it before but couldn't find the thread. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
If you have the chrome clad steels, then the chrome skins are just crimped on, like wheel balancing weights.

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
I'm currently de-cladding a set of 1/2ton (Dodge) 20's. They are...I wanna say silicone or caulked, on. Not sure what to exactly call it.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool do you think a wire wheel would take off the glue material so I can paint them?

·
Premium Member
18,680 Posts
you should be able to use a wire wheel to get off any glue. or you could get them blasted if you have any conections.

·
Registered
841 Posts
they're definitely not just crimped on ... there is an adhesive of some sort holding them on also. I remember a thread where someone de-cladded them, sand-blasted and painted them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts