Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some feedback from anyone who has been using the Daystar air bag cradles for a while. I have done some searching, but coudn't find much on long term use. I'm currently stock rear, but want to swap my overload for mini-packs and keep both my droop travel and load carrying. My truck is 2012 3500 MC 4x4 SRW. I have a B&W turnover ball goose neck hitch and tow 10-11k with about 2k on the ball 150-600 miles a couple times a month. I'll never jump it (I hope), but it does see some mild off road use and I could use the droop when the chassis is twisting.

What brand/model of bags are you using?
Have you experienced any abnormal wear on your bags?
Is there anything you would do differently if you were doing it over?

TIA for any help I can get.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Concerning the mini-paks I didn't get enough benefit to justify the expense of the installed product.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Danderson. In your sig it says you have a pop up on 24/7. Did you have a chance to run the mini packs with the truck empty?

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Yes,I had a light shell on my 98.5 and empty on my '07. Really not that much improvement in my mind to justify the cost. What smoothed out my present truck the most was Carli LT bags in place of the Firestone's. If I were to do it again I'd go to North County Spring in Escondido here and have them build me a custom leafpack. The shop I use installs the cradles frequently and the owners seem to like them. Properly valved shocks are major element in the package.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the insights Danderson.
I would like to use the Carli LT bags, but the 12 and later version only works with lifted rears and I’ll be staying stock height or lowering slightly. My trailer is already too high in the front when pulling.
Upgraded shocks will be part of whatever I decide to do for suspension mods. Probably Foxes, definitely from Carli or Thuren.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone else out there using the Daystar cradles willing to share?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I use firestones and I just leave the lower portion of the bag unbolted, I glue a piece of rubber to it so it's not annoying metal on metal noise. It's worked fine for me for years on many different trucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have about 500 miles so far on my truck running the cradles. I replace all of my springs with Thuren and their Fox shocks. It is like a night and day difference. I had to use self-tapping screws (a Large one for each cradle) and seems to help a lot with rear-end travel and softness. I like them and think they are worth the $70 I paid for them. Overall I wished I had gone with the new springs all the way around a long time ago. I put their 2" coils up from and the 1/2" lowering springs in the rear by the way.

Reactions: Earl73

·
Registered
667 Posts
Its a tight fit with those springs and the bags a cradles for sure. Glad you like the ride now

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the Thuren long travel leaf Packs with daystar cradles and firestone bags. Also have Thuren’s king shocks. The ride is awesome. Truck tows #3500 daily and 10k on the weekends. Been doing this for a couple years in the truck rides better than anything I’ve had before. Would definitely recommend

Reactions: Earl73

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
I've had Carli LT bags for ten yrs now, They work well. They are a vast improvement over Firestones which I originally had but don't afford the lean control being mounted further inboard. I've also got a Hellwig swaybar. There are times though where I wish I had Timbrens to give me a little better roll control with my 2300# popup. Too tight to have them both.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies.
Sadly, I can't run the Carli LTs because on a stock height truck they are too far compressed in their stroke and will wear the bag prematurely (that's what Carli's rep told me when I asked). They also have no plans to make brackets that would accommodate stock height on the 12 and later trucks.
Looks like I have a plan now, and just have to clear the costs with the boss. I'll try to remember to take pics along the way and post up when I'm done.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
I have their minipaks which lifted the rear 1" and they installed them in their shop 10 years ago. They sent me a bumpstop extension to prevent what they told you. You'll be fine with the Firestone's and the cradles. I would have just done that but the cradles didn't exist.A lot less money. Today I'd just follow Thuren's advice and cut the overloads down some instead of all the expense of minipaks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts